[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to overcome Laziness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: tmp_23297-Fear(2)1032309272.jpg (87 KB, 769x508) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23297-Fear(2)1032309272.jpg
87 KB, 769x508
How do I overcome laziness?

Laziness is honestly the biggest problem in my life, and I don't know how to overcome it or get rid of it. As a result of it, I quit a lot of things and lack the drive or motivation to study, to do sports, to learn an instrument, because the moment the going gets tough I will quit. If I have to do something, I will avoid it if I can.

I'm scared to death because there is nothing that is strong enough to beat this, not even fear or hope - it's an unpleasant feeling but it's not strong enough to make me do anything about it. If I don't change now, I'm scared I'll fuck up my future because I'll just be lazy to do something.

What do I do?
>>
The shortest and easiest answer is stop quiting. Finish the projects you start. Use your willpower to not give up so easily. Maybe try starting small stuff first that doesnt take weeks or even years to learn. Make something to eat and use a fairly simple recipe. Keep trying new dishes with more "complicated" recipes. Cooking is just an example.

You have to want to change your behavior. If you dont care then nothing will change and their is no one to blame for your behavior other then yourself.
>>
I'd say be competitive at something or turn all your chores into a game/mission. Civilization didn't come from nothing, for example. Are you a bad enough dude to carry on the legacy of humanity?

Think of people whose job it is to interact with others face to face like a nurse, they have to repeat the same conversations every day but they get creative with it. Anyway, you can make something out of nothing doing that kind of shit. It's not bad.
>>
Maybe is the chemistry in your brain. Or maybe is you low attention span, your brain is used to lots and lots of stimulation.

I'll suggest changing your habit one by one. Change tv or internet for books sometimes (per day).
if you do marihuana frequently, stop. That could be messing with you reward system.
>>
Get a friend, do things together, one person will motivate the other and find new things to get you moving. Find external simulation if you're always home
>>
For me the key is external accountability and scheduling. I lived in Japan for months before I got serious about learning the language -- because I signed up for a test on it. I never exercised until I started taking classes which I sign up for in advance and charge a fee if I cancel at the last minute. I never got around to writing until I did Nanowrimo and had that wordcount and timing pressure. Etc.

It's different for everyone and generally this kind of external thing costs money, which not everyone has to throw around, but it's what works for me.
>>
You need to feel confident. The best way to feel confident is to get physically stronger. Run, lift weights. One day isn't going to do it. But over a course of a week you will feel the difference.

People can't take away the strength that comes from within. If you're like me, you need to see success in order to feel good. I used to cry over the shit I could not control. I decided to focus on the things that I could control.

That meant pushing myself out of my comfort zone. Understanding that it took me a long ass time to get into a shitty place, and it would take hard work and even more time to get out of it. Even more to get where I wanted to go.

I go to the gym. I quit smoking weed and cigarettes. I started eating healthier. I got rid of shitty friends who were not supportive and did not appreciate who I was.

Laziness is just one part of life. Ask yourself if you are willing to do what it takes to achieve the goals you want. This may require you to actually reestablish new goals and look at your life from a different perspective. But know that any goal can be broken down to smaller parts and be achieved. Ask for help. Stay positive
>>
>>17129936
adderall
>>
>>17131838

i'm the above post. i have actual diagnosed ADHD and let me tell you, adderall doesn't do shit for you if you don't know how to use it properly. adderall for me was not a long term solution, but it did give me the feeling of what exactly i needed to do in order to get my shit together.

there are no shortcuts to success. if you actually do have adhd, and you are depressed, god damn do i know that feeling of complete chaos and disorganization. im still madly disorganized even when im not depressed, but i work on it every fucking day and it sucks ass
>>
>>17129936
it's not necessarily laziness, it's pure lack of motivation, it can often come with lack of feelings and emotions too
some people are actually just depressed, so anti-depressants can help sometimes

but I dunno, I failed out of school because of it, I've had no income for months and months because of it, my gf left me because of it and I'm gonna be homeless because of it
>>
>>17129936
I have exactly the same problem, it's almost scary how much you described me.

At first I thought everyone has this and just overcomes it, but now I've learnt that most people can easily get themselves together and just do something, whereas I just can't, even when I think of the consequences.

I have a heavy problem with my lungs, it'll kill me soon I guess, yet I still constantly skip the doctor appointments. Even the possibility of having a dangerous/lethal disease doesn't get me moving.
I don't know what else should.
>>
>>17129936
I could tell you, but I don't have the energy.
>>
>>17132062
I lol'd
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.