[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you recommend me to smoking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 1461618562761.jpg (101 KB, 641x960) Image search: [Google]
1461618562761.jpg
101 KB, 641x960
As a twenty year old college student who has never smoked nor drank any alcohol, would you say smoking is something I should avoid? pic unrelated
>>
>>17128490
No. You're not missing out on anything, and you'll thank yourself later when you have money. Every smoker I know never has money, especially if they're the 2+ packs a day people. Drinking can be okay, if you're with good friends, but pay attention to your limit. A light buzz isn't bad, but don't get shitfaced. It's not fun.
>>
>>17128509
Thanks. Alcohol doesn't interest me since I've seen how alcoholics seemed to make a fool of themselves every time. I've just been thinking about trying out smoking for the 1st time but I guess I should avoid it.
>>
Avoid smoking. It's not worth the health complications down the line.

Drinking..keep it to a minimum. But it's better not to start up a habit. Some people have addictive personalities and it's hard to stop.
>>
>>17128522
I tried it when I was in 3rd grade by stealing a few from a friend of the family's. It's smoke in your lungs, and feels exactly how it sounds.
>>
Smoking sucks. I've been addicted for 12 years and every time I try to quit is a nightmare.

Drinking is fine, don't let alcoholics give you the wrong impression. The vast majority of drinkers do it in moderation and it's quite nice.
>>
>>17128490
Smoking is genuinely not fun. Just stay away from it
>>
>>17128490
You should avoid it, smokers are some of the most disgusting people in this planet.
>>
>>17128490
smoking can LOOK cool and there are some fringe benefits, but so can prosthetic limbs and you really shouldn't cut your legs off.

Vaping is just mimicking smoking without actually doing it. Both smoker and non smokers will think your lame.
>>
>>17128490
don't start smoking. just don't. if you have very, very good self control you can bum a smoke from a friend once a month, at maximum. it's really not worth it, you don't feel anything, it doesn't taste good, it hurts your lungs
overall, 0/10 not worth.
>>
Yeah do it if you want really violent mood swings literally every time you experience withdrawals.

Fucking stupid question OP. Nobody smokes because they want to, they smoke because they need to.
>>
>I have never breathed in hot, addictive, ash into my lungs for the purpose of achieving a barely perceivable feeling at the cost of several years of bodily function
>I have never drank poison that impairs your judgement, prevents you from doing anything productive, and turns you into a drooling moron at the cost of several years of bodily function
>Is this good

Yes OP
>>
>>17128490
You're better off as straight edge as you are. Do not feel shame. Be proud you have the willpower to avoid that crap.
>>
Smoking is terrible. You barely get anything out of it, the smell will cling to your clothes and if you smoke a lot even your hair and skin. It makes your teeth yellow, your skin age, your sense of smell and taste weaken. It's expensive.
That's a whole lot of bullshit for something that doesn't even give you great memories or anything.

Just drink, you don't have to get shitfaced, especially not right away. Depending on your tolerance a drink or two will give you a nice, mellow buzz while still not pulling stupid shit.
>>
>>17128598
this is a solid post anon

have you tried a retreat setting though? Can't chicken out at that point
>>
Tobacco is an expensive drug with mild to no positive effects. It drains your bank account and becomes a crutch for every stressful moment. It doesn't even get you high... why waste your time/money?
>>
>>17129087
I smoke just because I want to
Fuck you
>>
>>17128490
There are a lot of people who "seem" like they went through a smoking phase in their early 20's but it really wasn't a phase. These are people who never wanted smoking to be a part of their lives but got caught up in a moment of either peer pressure/fear-of-missing-out pressure/oh-fuck-it-why-not.

The important thing is these people never considered smoking.

Eventually when people grow out of situations that could put them in these moods they almost seemed like a person who never touched a cigarette.

I am saying this because not smoking never-ever implies you are a straight-edge wimp. It just means you made good choices to stay away from things that damage your health and your wallet.

I have been smoking for over 10 years, about a pack a day. There are some fringe benefits but like this person >>17128745 said but definitely not worth it.

All this to say...at the time I looked around and it seemed like everyone was smoking, (like 75%) but a lot of those people are truly just strong in their resolve and are passively smoking. The next morning very few (like 20%) are actually going to light up again with their coffee.

Now when I look around - I have a good job, no strong friend circle - I just feel like a fucking leper and my paychecks are being drained and I doubt my health is good.

If I could do it again I might have had one or two but I would have never bought a pack for myself and I would expect myself to not always be in those situations where smoking felt like a reasonable activity.

Smokers aren't the scum of the earth and you could never get an honest answer if you asked them "if you could go back would you not do it" because it feels like an attack on a person's resolve and choices, and guess what? It is. Aim for having a stronger resolve and try to make better choices, anon.

tl;dr
Dont smoke or most importantly don't become a smoker.
>>
>>17129403
>There are some fringe benefits
Such as?
>>
Try smoking weed. Makes you feel good and there's all sorts of fun ways to get high. Also much less of a health risk, especially if you vape.
>>
>>17129423
Having your dating pool in your mid 20's and on reduced to only fellow smokers.

Unfavorable peer-reviews in your career because you smell like an ashtray and there is nothing to protect you from that kind of discrimination.

The list goes on.
>>
>>17129423
Feels good when stressed, but slightly slow and mostly because,

Gives you a break. Easily my favorite reason. Anxiety getting to high at a party? "I'm going to step out for a smoke". Work being a drag? smoke break. Family function? Smoke break from afar.

I'm on my second attempt quitting. It's been 1 week and I vape instead. I love smoke breaks and will never leave them - even if I go down to 0 nic.
>>
>>17129425
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Smoke is smoke!!!!!!!
And weed is a gateway drug that leads to meth 90% of the time and prostitution some of the time.
It dorsnt even make you feel goid you get sleepy and tired and oaranoid and angry.
Stop trying to make a drug addict.

You want to get high, OP? Find jesus. The ultimate high
>>
>>17128490
If you've never smoked then yes I would recommend it.

But only enjoy them in small numbers. If you find that you are smoking them every chance you get then you are becoming addicted.
>>
Just become an alcoholic you fucking pussy
>>
>>17129494
Don't be such a bitch, anon.
Be a junkie.
>>
WHY DONT YOU JUST FUCKING TRY IT AND JUDGE YOU SISSY ASS BITCH?

i swear you people behave like children
>>
File: wew.jpg (6 KB, 226x166) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
6 KB, 226x166
>>17129507
>all caps
>behaving like children
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 909x289) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 909x289
Just don't start. Those commercials are really annoying and turn it into a problem of political correctness, but the thing is they really are horrible for you. I started and stopped before and honestly they don't give you that much satisfaction unless you are addicted. Then, they only fuel your addiction and relieve your craving.

Alcohol is worse but is a lot better in moderation. My advice is never binge drink, just drink to get buzzed.
>>
>>17128490
You have heard it already but smoking fucking sucks. I started smoking when I was about your age (occasionally before that, but at 20 I was smoking every day). Felt "cool" for about six months, partially because I couldn't tell how awful I smelled, then spent about eleven years smoking more than a pack a day and wishing every single day that I had never started. My lungs hurt. My ability to run or exert myself was noticeably compromised.

The illusion of pleasure or satisfaction I associated with smoking came just from alleviating the withdrawal symptoms--in my case, headaches, lack of focus, intense irritability.

You will smell bad, may feel bad, and will likely get addicted... kicking the addiction is difficult and unpleasant. It's expensive. It damages your skin permanently (most of the lung damage can be healed in the ten or fifteen years after you quit, but the increased wrinkles and sun sensitivity evidently don't go away). And in this country, it's increasingly associated with the lower classes, so rather than looking cool, smokers look trashy.
>>
Dude just have a cigar with whiskey once every two weeks, smoke weed/edibles/vape.

For alcohol, honestly just drink good shit. Decent liquor, decent beer, decent cider. Not at sports bars. Find some artsy dive bars when you turn 21.
Nobody chugs expensive craft beers. Stay away from basic drinks like natty or vladdy and you'll be fine.

Straight edge shits are so fucking annoying.
>>
>>17128490
Smoker here. I regret the second I started smoking. Please don't.
>>
Thanks guys. Op here. I'm going to get the notions of smoking out of my mind. Thanks.
>>
>>17129498
real men do meth.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.