[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw bad at math
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: punch.jpg (768 KB, 800x992) Image search: [Google]
punch.jpg
768 KB, 800x992
>tfw bad at math
>>
find a copy of Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics, go through it, do the exercises

everyone can be good at math with enough practice and diligence
>>
>>17127542
People are usually only bad at math because they don't immediately get things and then they decide they're bad at math and they hate math so they never do any math which of course makes them bad at math. You just need to keep trying and you'll get better.
>>
File: smug.jpg (70 KB, 570x576) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
70 KB, 570x576
>tfw through college with no desire to be any good at math

>>17127576
>>17127602
What would you guys suggest for someone still in college/school? Why else would you want to learn math, and how fucked would you have to be starting from the basics?

Probably best to just keep doing the standard cramming/ect.
>>
>>17127619
because math teaches great reasoning critical thinking, and problem solving skills

if that doesn't sound useful I don't know what to tell ya

check out that serge Lang book I recommended though, it is a great bottom up math book written from a mathematicians perspective, it's very informal but very informative
>>
>>17127663
You could just read directly about critical thinking

Personally I think only some areas of maths are useful to a layman. The very basics, and statistics/probability I think are the only necessary ones.

No good comes of learning about shit like matrix diagonalization or maclaurin series expansion unless it directly affects you career, or you just love the stuff.
>>
I failed Algebra in college and I remember coming to this board years ago and people told me if I couldn't handle Algebra I shouldn't even be in college.

Years later I find that they were right, I really shouldn't have went to college.
>>
File: moraaay.jpg (7 KB, 194x260) Image search: [Google]
moraaay.jpg
7 KB, 194x260
OP I feel your pain..I only get a handful of the material I'm taught and I still feel kind of helpless most of the time.
I'm currently cramming for my math final. I feel that I usually get a better grasp of things when its fresh in my mind.
Best of luck to you OP!
>>
File: 1462824261298.jpg (50 KB, 640x437) Image search: [Google]
1462824261298.jpg
50 KB, 640x437
>tfw suck at java and have a multiple choice questions exam in 2 weeks
>>
>>17127851
Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>17127698
sure, you could, but math extends further than sheer critical thinking alone. it's a toolbox of logical and rational skills that can be applied to almost any technical problem you could encounter. Like, yeah, you don't need all of the maths, but knowing even a little puts you way above most of the (at least American) population
>>
>godawful high school grades
>have to do an assessment to get into college
>6 years since I've been out of school and I don't remember shit
>don't even know where to start
>>
Tfw legit F in algebra. Fuck it brah my brain BRAXYT CUH
>>
>>17127542
Math's always been my best subject... or skill really. Anything that's particularly troubling you? I might have a token piece of advice/strategy for a certain type of problem, unless you're past calculus level math, I'm not there yet.
>>
>>17127999
Appreciate it. Don't have any specific problems at the moment, just wondering where I could have gone in my career if I had any aptitude for mathematics.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.