[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to form habits?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
So from the many pieces of advice I've received from here and other places it seems the best way to change your life is to slowly introduce new habits into your everyday routine..

Thing is, I'm a major procrastinator and I can never seem to start on anything. I always have thoughts in the back of my head about habits I want to start but I "don't feel like thinking about it right now" so I postpone it, but I also give myself the excuse that I can't start some new habit before thinking about it carefully first.

How the fuck do I break this cycle? How do I force my lazy ass to just FUCKING DO IT GODDAMMIT instead of "boohoo I need to think about how this will affect my worthless life first"?
>>
The sun won't rise tomorrow, so if you don't do now what needs to be done, it never will be done.
>>
>>17126986
Ehm.. but the sun will rise tomorrow?
>>
>>17127655
lel
>>
>>17127779
wat? I don't get it
>>
bumpzorz
>>
>>17126986
>>17127655
>>17127779
>>17128144
More of this
>>
Consciously force yourself to do something over and over and over until you just find yourself doing it.
>>
>>17128690
Yes please explain what >>17126986 meant. How in the fucktardicleshits will the sun not rise tomorrow?

>>17128694
I don't have the willpower to do this. Sometimes I have enough to do a thing once or twice but then I always forget or make some excuse and stop.
>>
>>17126465
I got you senpai

I assume you know the basic of a habit loop at the least? If not, refresh your memory by reading some article on it on Art of Manliness or [insert some other place that has it].

Once you refreshed your memory on what a cue, routine and reward is, come back and watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKUJxjn-R8

The above video is how you will go about forming habits. By starting small and gradually increasing.

The mistake people make is that [ lets for example say they want to start studying 4 hours a day ] they start with too much, too soon. If you start with too much at once, you're relying on motivation or willpower, both of which are not meant to be used like this and both of which will run out before your task turns into a habit. So in the above example of somebody wanting to study 4 hours a day, unless they have an exam coming very soon and they're panicking, they'll probably only be able to sustain that 4 hours a day for a few days at best, maybe a week. But it will inevitably fall apart. And it will NOT become a habit. A task needs a much longer to become a habit than a few days.

That's why [using the above example ] if you're trying to build a habit, you don't start with 4 hours study at once. You start at a much smaller amount. So small you can do it RIGHT now. So in this, the guy would start with 20 minutes and gradually increase by an extra 10 minutes every 2-3 days. By doing this, there isn't a heavy reliance on either willpower or motivation and as a result you'll be able to sustain the task long enough till it becomes a habit. DO NOT make the mistake of starting too high or increasing too fast.

Be very conservative with how much you start with and how much you increase by. Some people start small but then end up tacking on an extra hour every 2 days. The end result will be the same as the above 4 hour guy, you'll end up kicking the routine before it becomes a habit. Comfortable increase, not a steep one.
>>
>>17129773
Just to add to this. I described it very basically, but there's more to it than just that. So make sure you watch the video and have a base understanding of habit loops.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.