[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone explain to me since when this became something that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 240x192) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4 KB, 240x192
Can someone explain to me since when this became something that people are expected to do??

I recently got a cut and the lady asked me if I wanted to pay the exact amount from my debit card when I handed it to her. I thought it was a strange question, but I told her yes, paid for my haircut and went on my way. On the way home I decided that she must have been asking for a tip.

Now, I never once gave a tip for a haircut. It seems like a strange thing to do. But I did go online when I got home and apparently that's something people do.

Keep in mind, this wasn't some high class hair salon. It was a typical chain place where I assumed people just go in, get their haircut, pay for it, then leave.

Am I way off base here? Or what?
>>
>>17126024
I used to tip a guy I went to see all the time, but randoms I've never sat in their chair before no.
but it makes sense they want a tip I guess waiters have been getting tips for years.
>>
>>17126024

Where do you live? In north America it's expected to tip your hairdresser literally everywhere.
>>
>>17126043
Northeastern United States. I've never tipped anyone for a haircut or heard of anyone doing it until the other day.
>>
Hairdressers are paid below minimum wage now?
>>
>>17126024
I usually tip like 2 dollars.

But I try to be a good person.
>>
>>17126024
Like all tipping it's optional. I generally don't with barbers, but if I get a little extra attention or artistry I might add $1.
>>
Yeah, be sure to tip your barber.

Barber is the only guy I tip, nobody else. After tipping 2 times he started shaving me with much more care and twice as long, being sure to get every piece of hair on my neck and ears.
>>
>>17126245
You better fucking tip your delivery drivers, faggot.
>>
I tip my barber. Haircut costs £9 I always give him a tenner
>>
>>17126266
Same here, shave is 1.5 Euro, I give him 2.
>>
>>17126024

Tipping is for third-world countries

If you cannot pay your employees or yourself with the price of your services, then you need to raise the prices instead of relying on charity
>>
>>17126024

i tip if they do a good job. if not i walk out. it is my hair and if its treated nicely, i will show that appreciation.
>>
>>17126260

i didnt once. but in my defense
>was sick
>ordered food that was literally half a block away cuz could not walk there myself
>the drive was literally 45 seconds
>i brought down a dollar to tip him
>but he parks across the street
>just sits there and stares at me
>i have to cross over barefoot to get my food
>so decide not to tip
>he calls me an asshole
>call his boss
>explain

dunno what happened to him but i got two free meals.
>>
>>17126024

>It was a typical chain place where I assumed people just go in, get their haircut, pay for it, then leave.

The three people you should always tip; your tattoo artist, your barber and your bartender. I always tip because I always come back.

If you planned on going back I would say tip. If not, don't worry about it.
>>
File: 1462131301858.png (361 KB, 858x725) Image search: [Google]
1462131301858.png
361 KB, 858x725
>>17126266
>£9
I paid damn near $17 for this haircut.
>>
>>17126372
Unlucky mate
>>
dunno I cut my own hair. I never go to the barber
>>
>>17126306
free spit in the meals as well
>>
>>17126462

if they did it before / during cooking it'd essentially cook out. if they did it afterward it'd be easy to notice, it is meat on a stick after all.

idont know why people act like spit in your food is some horrible fucking thing. we are eating things that were alive. we are eating their meat. their blood. sometimes their bones. all sorts of little critters that lived in them. we make out with humans all the time (maybe not you, but still). a little spit on my meat is not nearly as scary as what the meat is itself.
>>
>>17126462

>the cooks will spit on your food because the delivery driver was a bad employee

what? what business wants their delivery driver having a meltdown and calling a sick guy an asshole?
>>
>>17126372
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dollars+to+pounds&oq=dollars+to+pounds&aqs=chrome..69i57.5855j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=17+dollars+to+pounds

It's not that much different
>>
>>17126024
When the ask "do you want to make I for exact amount" its a nicer and easier and more professional way of saying want to tip. Yes if is a men's haircut leave 1\8 of a tip for her so a dollar. Its not an obligation but a nice thin to show to break the norm and let your hairstylist expecially if you go to her often your doing a great job. It's normal most male client I have tip me good 5-10 dollars but that's front desks way of professionally asking or stylist. So if is not high class tip her at least once or twice a year to show you appreciate her services. At leas a dollar idk but it's normal how you think. Either hairstylist regardless of tip or not will et paid. It's a nice reassurance to us were doing good or occasional thing to do. Depends on atmosphere of salon high class makes commission and franchises make hourly minimum wage so you hairstyle is probably a minimum wage make maybe.
>>
>go to dennys
>order something to go
>cashier keeps asking if thats the amount i want on the payment
>shes asking me to tip for take out

fuck.
>>
File: 1445456694222.gif (2 MB, 800x425) Image search: [Google]
1445456694222.gif
2 MB, 800x425
Tipping is 100% optional. There's no law saying you have to tip. These people make a wage like anyone else. Do people tip you at your job? No, exactly. Don't feel bad about tipping. I don't tip my barber, they make enough without our handouts.
>>
everyone who gave me money to get a haircut asked me about the price of the cut so they could calculate tip

I think it's in case they don't have a lot of business, since there are days when they are packed and days when nobody comes in, all depending on factors outside of their control

tipping people who wait is probably a sign of respect for the lower class, kind of different and even more expected (unless you yourself are very short on money)
>>
>>17126024
My mom used to be a hair stylist and used to being home hundreds in tips. Yeah it is a thing.. And stylists like servers make most of their income from tips. Way to be a douche
>>
>>17126658
>way to be a douche
not op but
eat my asshole
>>
>>17126092
PROFESSIONAL stylists set their own prices, rent out booths and make a decent amount though since they have to pay for their own supplies they rely o. Tips..
Commission stylists don't make shit and COMPLETELY rely on tips
>>
yeah it's a thing and its been a thing for a long time, I usually tip 5-10 dollars to service workers regardless of how little it cost
>>
>>17126297
Servers are paid less BECAUSE of tips.. Employers pay them half as much as minimum wage with the ASSUMPTION that it'll even out with tips. Cheap welfare faggots like you need to be deported
>>
>>17126314
This. I'm a hair stylist. If a client continues to come in and never tips they end up getting treated more poorly than the other clients and lose our respect
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 250x198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 250x198
>>17126661
I have oral HSV and an ass-eating fetish.
Lucky for me unlucky 4 u le friendo :3
>>
>>17126024
It's not a huge deal for great clips tier places..
But actual salons have experienced professionals who are able to preform a variety of procedures and are often certified to make up models, or work in hair shows.
So yeah, it's the respectful and adult move.
Plus a lot of them rely on tips since a lot of their pay goes to salon expenses and supplies.
>>
>>17126691
>rekt
>>
>>17126658
Op didn't know so he can't be a douche unless if he did then he'd be one. But yea should be common sense to at leas tip your hairstylist of how long
>>
>>17126024
Do not bother, if they give you poor service, just go to another place. Have only tipped once after a haircut, service is great each time. Then again, this is just a small place, nothing special but a cut and trim.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.