[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been told that autism makes people special, yet it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Lost in the sea on thought.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lost in the sea on thought.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
I try my hardest to understand what other people think, and to fit in. I try to be ephathetic and social. But in the end find more pain.
People don't understand me and outcast me. Others pity me, come unprepared to help, and then cause more problems than they help. My parents try to love me, but they still get angry that I can't "act normal".

Everyday I'm reminded how much I don't fit into society, and everyday people tell me how much they understand and yet everything they say contridicts that. I'm just alone, and the more I reach out and the more I am rejected.

If my whole life is going to end in being alone, because of the way I think, and the way I was born, is it worth trying to act normal? Is it worth staying alive?
>>
>>17118955
Fucked-up guy here (not autism, mystery brain dysfunction diagnosed as 6+ different psychatric disorders). I really do understand.
Some of my best friends (some of my only friends) growing up were autistic. Always felt like I could communicate better with you guys than with "normal" people, never noticed anything wrong (only learned those guys were autistic from teachers, parents, etc). I just thought they were weird. And I was weird too.

So you don't have to be alone, you can find friends who you can understand and connect with. Rare, but great when it happens.

Though yeah, you'll probably never really "fit in", especially if you're high-functioning and move into career paths full of people you can't connect with at all. For example, I decided to go into medicine, and everyone else in the field seems to be extremely normal, happy, and well-adjusted, with great social skills. Making friends is hopeless and I gave up long ago, I can barely hold a conversation with my fellow students. So I stay silent and keep to myself. It's lonely as fuck but I don't have much of a choice.

Trying to act normal and fit in isn't worth it, imho. First of all because it simply doesn't work, no matter how hard you try (and i've tried very fucking hard). And second, because it puts unreasonable stress on you to keep up the act, and that stress is awful for your mental and physical health in the long term.

Thankfully we at least have 4chan to fulfill a little bit of our need for social interaction. Sharing feels takes the edge off the loneliness.
>>
>>17119026
I've made friends in the past, people who I've trusted, and people who left in the end.
I'm really scared of being alone and losing all of who I love.
Most of all, I don't know if they even care, or if they miss me.

I have one person tho. My best friend of the past 5 years, I'm not sure if one person is enough, but he's all I have.
>>
>>17118955
I MADE THIS WALLPAPER!!!!!
>>
>>17118955
You may be thinking like this at the moment, but I hope it will change, like it did for me. I was an anxious escapist plugged to video games. Then I tried to change myself to fit the standards of society. Two years later I still don't fit into their standards, but I don't give much fucks about that any more.
Yes, I think differently and most people don't click with me. But without this different way of thinking I wouldn't made some personal discoveries that made ma a lot happier and less anxious.

Every person with autism is different. I think it's a good idea to got to understand yourself, your strengths and weaknesses. From there you can start making choices that are more aligned with your personality.

Do things that make you give less shit about what other people think about you. Improv, mindfulness, dancing and laughter yoga are good choices.

You will meet people who "get you". Most of the time they will be on the spectrum to some degree as well.

God, this made me so frustrated. Why isn't there a website for connecting autistic people yet? Or why there is, but people don't use it?
>>
>>17119453
Actually, I made it. Way to take credit for another artists work, fag.
>>
>>17119453
>>17119486
So many liars on /adv/ I made it. You both need to stop lying
>>
>>17119523
>>17119453
>>17119486
OP here, I made it for this post, stop claiming my work on my thread.
>>
All trolling in this thread so far aside, I'll be honest and say that I actually do not understand. Would you care to elaborate on these situations?

What is a typical situation where you can't "act normal", what are you thinking/feeling at the time?

I'll give you one quick answer, though: Is it worth trying to act normal? No. Everyone is weird, some just hide it better. Try to focus on what is actually good for you, not what is bad for you.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.