[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a NEET 26 year old who badly needs a job. My last job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
I'm a NEET 26 year old who badly needs a job. My last job was three years ago and I don't have an easy way to explain the hole in my employment history. I've been applying to every shitty retail position I can find, but to no avail. No one calls back.

What should I do?
>>
>>17109479
>employment history
I was traveling abroad with my rich partner / parents / relative. You might want to google some random country in case they will ask where you have been and what have you done there.

>retail position
What about flipping burgers? It is better than nothing...
>>
>>17109491
Traveling abroad for three years, though? That seems a little hard to swallow. Although I live in a pretty affluent area, so it might fly.

I was considering lowering my standards and applying for some food industry jobs as well. There's a Starbucks nearby that hires pretty frequently. I dunno what they pay, but I hear it's pretty okay-ish for entry level wageslave stuff.
>>
>>17109479
do you have any qualifications?
>>
>>17109504
>I was considering lowering my standards and applying for some food industry jobs as well.
If you're unemployed for three years and in desperate need of a job, you can't afford to have standards.
>>
>>17109508
Not really... A year of community college, a short story published recently. For the most part I've literally been doing nothing with my life.

>>17109521
Fair to say. I guess I'd always considered retail positions and food service positions about equal.
>>
>>17109538
>I guess I'd always considered retail positions and food service positions about equal.
They are, so you should be applying for them. They're probably more likely to hire you, to be honest.
>>
>>17109479
holyshit are you me?
>>
>>17109538
ok, i see what the problem is then. best just applying for literally anything for the experience, even if it is flipping burgers like another guy said. i was a neet for about 2 years, i know the feel. i got so depressed and tired of being a neet that i had to do something with my self.
>>
literally dont overthink it, they already know you're worthless scum because you're applying for retail position. you're competing with other neets, teenagers and single mothers

imagine how many people come to them for interviews and say uhhh i haven't had a job for 5 years because i was visiting my aunt in switzerland. they probably laugh about it afterwards every time like ha did you see him lie

keep your applications short, they're actually a retard test, to see if you'll nervously spend ages trying to pad it out or just give them the essential info. rule of thumb they won't read anything over two short paragraphs on one subject.

dont be afraid to say "im not sure" or "i cant think of an answer to that" during phone or interview, better than saying ummmm ummmm uhhhh

if they ask you your weaknesses, tell them you don't like conflict, drama, you don't stick up for yourself sometimes etc, they'll like that, that means they can come and ask you to do extra shifts all the time

t. worthless scum who works in retail, with family member works in recruitment
>>
>>17109553
>>17109549
These are more or less the approaches I've taken. I figure, it's grunt work, I might as well sell myself as a dependable grunt.

I think my biggest problem is having set my sights too high. I've been applying to places like Costco and Aldi, who have godly minimum wage standards ($11/hr, $13/hr). But I'm guessing the competition is much better qualified than I am.
>>
>>17109479
I was in a similar position once.

You can always apply to the trade unions. They don't give a fuck about employment history, you just need to pass some basic maths and read/write english test and do a quite simple interview for most of them after that.

downside is that the process takes a quite some time. upside is you will get paid a lot more than starbucks.

it def bailed me out but i was so NEET'd up that i couldn't face the rejection of traditional job application process
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.