[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I took a personality test, and I'm disturbed by the result
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: figure 8.jpg (73 KB, 319x286) Image search: [Google]
figure 8.jpg
73 KB, 319x286
The test indicates that I score high for borderline, narcissistic and avoidant personality. A close friend has encouraged therapy, but I'm having trouble reconciling to myself that I can't fix my own problems and that I don't have control over my own brain. I'm somewhat mistrustful of mental health professionals and I loathe the idea of revisiting events from my past. I'm also worried that I would be put on psych meds. At the same time, I'm soooo tired of feeling like I'm on the verge of tears all the time. Thanks for listening.
>>
Try a self help book. We like the idea of psychiatrists and such because it's like putting our faith in a higher power for $$$ a session. I remember seeking therapy and I had this lovely woman, very warm and kind. But she was also fat. If you think about it, fat people have their own mental issues in my opinion. She said a couple sentences of good advice you might hear from a good friend, thousands of dollars later. Luckily a company was paying for it, but I'll never forget how altogether expensive and mostly worthless the sessions were
>>
>>17105397
Thanks- you articulated very well some of my concerns. Any suggestions on books?
>>
>>17105423
I don't personally. I'm a lot like you I think, definitely avoidant behaviour. I was kicked out of my company for depression though, later told I had social anxiety which made sense. I guess I never got better or really tried after that. Maybe I should get a book too
>>
See a psychiatrist. You don't have to go on meds if you don't want to, but they can help for a whole lot of conditions (and your doctor will know which ones, since they're the ones trained in neuropharmacology.).

It's just an online test. It doesn't really tell you much. It's the doctors who know how these things really work and can really diagnose you, if you really do have anything.

>>17105397
This person is stupid.
>>
>>17105453
Im not stupid
>>
>>17105453
>>17105455
Please- no insults. It activates my anxiety.
>>
>>17105464
I probably should have punctuated.
>>
>>17105453
Do you have experience in the mental health field either as patient or professional?
>>
>>17105374
Can you share where you take it? I wanna test myself too so I can be another psycho.
>>
>>17105504
4degreez.com
>>
>Note: I am >>17105453

>>17105493
I'm a patient. I've had severe, treatment-resistant depression for eight years (I've gone through fourteen medications, six psychiatrists, and eight therapists and am currently getting my brain shocked once every ten days).

I don't think that avoidant personality disorder can just go and develop into antisocial personality disorder, by the way.
>>
>>17105546
Thanks for the reply. From your experience, is depression the underlying factor in personality disorder? Do you feel like you are getting better?
>>
>>17105546
>gone through fourteen medications, six psychiatrists, and eight therapists and am currently getting my brain shocked once every ten days).

Tell me again why I'm stupid? Seems like they don't do anything for you.
>>
>>17105586
Depression is often comorbid with anxiety and other disorders, but it isn't a necessary component of anything that I know of.

I've been getting better at least since I started ECT, though it isn't exactly useful for avoidant personality disorder. I see my psychiatrist on the 11th and hopefully we'll be able to medicate me the rest of the way out of my depression (my symptoms have been halved, but not completely stopped.).
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (88 KB, 626x501) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
88 KB, 626x501
>>17105517
Man, this test is golden:
>Do you have difficulty trusting people?
>Do you have a difficult time relating to others?
>Do your moods fluctuate a lot?
>Have you had recurrent thoughts of suicide?
>Are you very afraid of being alone?
>Do you tend to lie a lot?
>Are you quiet in social situations, often out of fear of saying something stupid?
I guess this question made me ANTI-SOCIAL :-D

Seriously these types of tests are UNRELIABLE AF!
Half of the questions you can't OBJECTIVELY answer about yourself. It is all based.
And the range 100% yes / 100% no is also golden.

Don't care about it OP, it is not worth it. maybe if you find better test which is like:
There is this situation you are in, what do you do? or how do you feel and you choose from RANGE from yes/ maybe/ don't know/ can't answer/ maybe/ no.
This test is just bad. But hey, I am antisocial Normie! is there any happy pills to cure my diagnosis? :-D
>>
>>17105607
OP here- you are correct, and I don't put a hell of a lot of stock on the test itself. It's more like I've been in kind of a particular funk for quite some time, and being able to qualify exactly what it is and why I feel this way motivated me to take this test. Like I said, others have encouraged me to seek therapy, but I suspect I might be kind of a hard nut to crack. The concept that a person can get an education that allows you to 'fix' another's brain seems incredibly alien to me. I understand some people have low or high levels of hormones or whatever, and medication can help that kind of issue. What I doubt is that a shrink can actually change how you feel just by dialogue alone- it just seems smoke and mirrors to me. Then again, I am rather cynical sometimes.
>>
>>17105592
It is a condition known as treatment-resistant depression. The fact that they don't work very well for me is both notable and unusual.
>>
>>17105676
And you actually buy into that? Alright
>>
>>17105607
JAckass pseudoscience student here.

Psychological measures, ESPECIALLY SELF-REPORT SURVEYS NOT EVEN USING HALF-DECENT LIKERT SCALES OR SOME SHIT are absolute crocks of shit only meant for parlor-game sort of activities like a Disney WHICH CHARACTER ARE YOU quiz.

I don't know shit-all about anyone in the thread, so I couldn't rightfully give any sort of prognosis even if I was trained instead of a shitty undergrad atm

But goddamn neither can some clickbait monetized bullshit accessible from google.

Please don't put very much stock in that shit. I put way too much credence on self-report surveys online and self-diagnosis in general years ago and it did me a world of harm. Although I'm loathe to use the word "label" in such a negative context, as folks doing that generally have very divergent views from me. But for real, you'll begin to become obsessed with this clinical, sterilized diagnosis and that shit ain't good. Least, if you're anything like me (which I've got absolutely no inkling of), it ain't.

Good luck, bud.
>>
>>17105651
They are people who mostly fix problems by giving you happy pills.

And like 90% of these happy pills actually do something. They mostly blocks / alters chemical processes inside your brain so you don't feel the symptoms of your "not happiness problem".

We still can't fix brain problems. We have just half-solutions which deal mostly with symptoms. If we had true happy pills, everybody would want it. Because who doesn't want to be happy?

>heroin
This just gives your brain a lot of chemical reactions which usually happens when you are super happy. It is not true happy pill.

>I am rather cynical sometimes
You can try it. Unless they find you threat to yourself or the society, they can't force you into anything. Just make sure your job doesn't require 100% psych clean shield. That could make fuck up.
>>
>>17105691
Thanks, and good luck with your studies. Sounds like you're on the right path.
>>17105710
>heroin
My best friend died from that shit, I have little interest in it. I did use LSD a fair amount in my early 20's though- would a shrink consider this noteworthy?
>>
>>17105374
Went to jail.
Had to take personality test to determine sentence.
Said I was highly narcissistic and manipulative.
Made a lot of sense.
Shoved the demons deep inside and still exist.
>>
>>17105851
Then get your sorry ass off the streets.
>>
>>17105851
Is it hard for you to form and maintain relationships? Personally, I've been hiding my demons for far too long, and it seems that they are working their way back to the surface, so much so that others are noticing something isn't right.
>>
>>17105374
It is possible to get better without drugs for some people, but not all. It takes an extremely strong person to change through sheer willpower. Just depends what will work for you.
>>
Assholes who went to jail for being an idiot and who are also narcissistic rapists should be banned from posting on threads with pics of Elliott Smith. It's a desecration of his memory.
>>
File: Elliott-Smith-012.jpg (64 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Elliott-Smith-012.jpg
64 KB, 620x372
>>17105920
Everyone's free to post in my thread, but your sentiment is appreciated. I posted the Elliott pick purposely for the thread. He was prescribed a shit ton of mental nervous drugs to deal with depression and whatever other demons he had, then quit taking all of them right before his suicide.
>>
File: 4degreezTestResult.png (50 KB, 494x374) Image search: [Google]
4degreezTestResult.png
50 KB, 494x374
Keep in mind that the test you took is very crude and seems to be based on sentences copied from encyclopedic articles or textbooks (i recognized some of the questions word-for-word).

For reference, here's what I got. I'm likely eligible for a diagnosis of schizoid and certainly for avoidant, and possibly for OCPD, but the test is too crude to distinguish between the cluster-A disorders (I'm not remotely eligible for either paranoid or schizotypal) and the "moderate" for antisocial is concerningly inaccurate (ie on the wrong side of the planet).

Regardless, you should go see a psychiatrist if you suspect you're eligible for a diagnosis of anything in cluster B. Not for your sake, for the sake of those around you. If nothing's wrong and you're just a massive bastard with little regard for the feelings of others, the psychiatrist will just confirm that.

>>17105443
You're not a lot like them, anxiety/avoidant is extremely different from BPD/avoidant.

>>17105769
>would a shrink consider this noteworthy?
Probably not, i haven't heard of any known long-term effects from LSD use. It's considered fairly benign.
>>
>>17106010
I genuinely care about others feelings- at least those I am close to. I care about what others think of me, perhaps too much. I crave approval and praise and go to great lengths to get that. One of my biggest issues is intimacy with women. I got divorced several years ago and this issue gets me again and again. You could say I'm emotionally unavailable, and the last couple years I've avoided dating because of this.
>>
>>17106010
A schizophrenic can't give advice
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.