[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ask a diagnosed 'sociopath' anything I used to make
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: 1459201152523.jpg (447 KB, 1252x890) Image search: [Google]
1459201152523.jpg
447 KB, 1252x890
Ask a diagnosed 'sociopath' anything

I used to make these threads here well bored, figured I'd check to see if there's any lingering interest
>>
>>17104778
Do you have antisocial?
A psychologist wouldn't just diagnose you as "a sociopath" lol
>>
>>17104778
What is the difference between the average psychopath and the average sociopath? What traits do you have that define you as a sociopath? And finally do you feel dark and edgy being a diagnosed sociopath?
>>
>>17104778
Psychology student here, Sociopath isn't a clinical diagnosis
>>
>>17104804
Not OP but: psychopaths are the ones who primarily are how they are because of physiological differences at birth, they're the whole, subtle charm, master plans, feel nothing type.sociopaths are typically made by their environment or trauma, they tend to be impulsive and bad at planning for the future. In actuality both are media names for variations on antisocial personality disorder.
>>
Dear OP,

Do you care about people? I think I might be a sociopath, because I really don't care about anybody, even my family or my friends, even myself. But I pretend to care, just to "keep up appearances."

It makes me feel much more "normal" if I invest my time in being concerned with other peoples' petty problems and pretending to be interested in their lives.
>>
>>17104826
when i used to learn psychology in the past i remember reading a chapter about psychopathy and that it can develop after a trauma in life however you called is sociopathy because you are not born that way.

can you clear this mess for me?
>>
>>17104778
Did you succeed in getting adderall?

If so, did you take my idea?
>>
Lmao it would be you that made this thread, what compounds are you running this cycle Bae?
>>
I've thought I was sociopath before. I gave no fucks about anyone, used people for my own benefits, etc. then I think LSD + a 3 year relationship taught me to love. It's pretty great, you should try to learn it.
>>
>>17104793
>>17104809
Technical diagnosis is ASPD, yes. ADD-ADHD was used as a precursor in my youth. 'Sociopath' is just more recognized terminology somewhere like this

>>17104804
As that anon said, psychopaths tend to be more thought out in their plans. I would say they're less capable of even shallow emotion, less risk taking/impulsive. That's how I imagine it, anyway, not certain I've met a 'psychopath'. I do think there's a distinction. To be fair, even my understanding of myself or my 'dysfunctional behaviors' has come largely from outside sources (peers observations, doctors, psychs, etc).

>what traits
I've been in less legal trouble than the textbook example but general

Shallow emotions relating only to myself, lack of ability to bond with peers, lack of empathy, manipulative motivation, inability to keep on track with specific life paths/lack of permanent long term goals, no instinctive morals, I don't recognize or care for authority/authority figures, violent outbursts, disregard for law, don't care for or consider 'consequences', blah blah blah

I think for me, the most identifying trait is how bored I get. I can't stand being bored. I've ended up in the hospital more than I can count because I did something dangerous/got in a fight purely out of boredom

>do you feel dark and edgy
No. I'm usually fairly indifferent. Sometimes I get annoyed to the point of agression or rage if I say something honest or recollect something I did and someone thinks it's edgy. Or they condemn it because it's against their own morals. That really pisses me off sometimes, they're illogical
>>
>>17104830
>do you care about other people

In a selfish way. It took a lot of outside explanation for me to grasp my way of selfish caring isn't how everyone feels (still skeptical)

So I'm not all take, take, take. I can have mutually beneficial relationships with people, as long as I feel the benefit outweighs or sits even with the cost. In this way I like to think I care about those people, in the sense that I look out for their interests if it's in my interest to do so

Though to me acting invested or 'normal' is only worth it for reward, I don't care as much about fitting in otherwise. That doesn't mean your own or a another sociopath's motivations couldn't be different, I'm sure. Though I can't diagnose you, if the thought brings you some sense of self understanding, you might as well be one. It's really not all that uncommon, I've heard
>>
>>17104838
From my understanding there is no set in stone knowledge of what exactly causes it, but that its generally a combination of environmental factors and genetic predisposition

Psychopathy is more thought to be caused by physical brain trauma/lack of development

I've read some books on the research of it all but the exact wording slips my mind. I can't be sure of the 'causes', though I see it more as a different way of thinking/living than as a disorder. A separate perspective, if you will

>>17104846
Hahahaha no. I didn't even end up asking for it

Fancy seeing you here

>>17104854
Ja, I started tripping here like this long before I poked at fit. Just var this run around, didn't end up ordering anything new

>>17104865
I've done a lot of drugs and had a lot of relationships, but if anything I think each go around just makes the concept less interesting. Honestly would like to get in a relationship with a plastic surgeon or something, rich and able to script opiates now that I could love
>>
>>17104809
>>17104793
That's how we know OP is just an edgy tryhard.
>>
Since most of your impulses are rational and based on the realist school of thought of self interest

How would the idea that emotional cooperation and mutual dependency could actually serve to do so in the long run with greater guarantee, and that sociopathy is just a disorder which can be much compared with poor cognitive insight.

Emotions have an evolutionary purpose and maybe you've been around so many assholes in your life and you've simply been unable to find positive qualities in them. Read about the "selfish gene".

Even if you are a sociopath, remember, unlike the idea that 'sociopaths' have no emotions, in fact its the opposite; their emotions are simply very premature and illogical, they're driven by manias and delusions instead of the biologically, socially and resolutionist goal, which in turn helps you most.

Sociopathy and/or superficiality never prevails, time is not of value, the more time that passes the more resources and people you have to deplete and exhaust.

What do you think of that idea?
>>
>>17105021
I really don't understand why there's such an 'edgy' stigma around this

It's not like I'm claiming to be a serial killer blasting heavy metal music out of my mom's basement. I just have a different emotional/moral perspective than the societal norm, which isn't all that uncommon, though seemingly misunderstood

It doesn't even make sense why this is hard to believe
>>
So, is having antisocial personality disorder pretty much the same as being a "bad person," like the media portrays psychopaths (you know, evil villains, serial killers, gangsters, corrupt politicians, etc), or is somebody with this diagnosis perfectly capable of respecting others rights and safety, but simply lacks the internal empathy that motivates most people to do that? Like, do most people wit antisocial personality disorder just figure it's easier and preferable to be a good person, even if they don't truly "care" about most people?

>>17104804
My understanding is that there is no widely-used distinction between "psychopathy" and "sociopathy" in the field, but certain individual researchers make their own distinctions, such as the "genetic vs. environmental" distinction. For a lot of people in the field, they are interchangeable.
>>
>>17105053
I'm not really sure I understand what you're trying to get across

You're saying that I'm developmentally immature and if I chose to mature instead you feel it would be more beneficial to me?

(Correct me if I'm misinterpreting your post, I am curious and simply trying to better understand what you're saying)

If that is right, then why should I trust that you are of a higher capability than me to decide what's in my best interest?

I mean, even assuming I am functioning on a logical/purely self interested basis. How do you reason that what you consider to be of benefit is the same as what I consider it to be?

To function in the manner you desire for me would be fruitless, because your idea of a reward is not rewarding to me. It's more like you and I are playing different games, not that I'm straying from the one true path of success. I think, anyway
>>
>>17105053
Don't you feel like there is no security or cover to protect you? Everything you've fabricated around yourself is fake, you're in a lonely world of people who you think care about you, you're constantly buying yourself time and mimicking emotions to the point where you resort to trauma and emotional manipulation when it is futile.

My advice is, if you really think you are a sociopath, don't connect closely with anyone, the chain reaction that will follow with the (logically assumed) fear and avoidance of being exposed, and the need to constantly reinforce a real identity will not only limit you from more areas of the world to explore but will also risk your own wellbeing.

Unless you're a maniac leech who only finds pleasure and sadism and constant harassment (which is a pretty finite, unrelatable and non confrontational source of entertainment) would you not logically apply some willpower to adapt and conform?
>>
>>17105082
>>17105082
Simple intuition and trust building when people gratify you with pleasures. All pleasures can root themselves to emotional connection and growth, whether that's more sex or financial security, and in doing so is more secure than the simple 'all or nothing' approach sociopaths have.

If you do not have the intuition to notice trustful individuals and know their limits, unable to press their buttons, then you are not a sociopath, just an overly anxious suppressed soul that needs to stop lying to itself and overcome its trauma.
>>
>>17105091
Sociopathy is fundamentally irrational and unstable. And of course, what I have stated are the basic evolutionary advantages of emotions, of course, their core existence to most people is absolutely necessary.
>>
>>17105082
I went through a similar phase of distrust, just force the idea in your head for at least a year that people can be good and even the smallest degree of empathy can be found in at least 99% of the population. A month or year surely couldn't be too long as to waste the precious time you could be using to manipulate others?
>>
>>17105063
I think that probably varies from individual to individual. I don't think I do many things that are purely sadistic or 'bad'. I have done things that people have called that, but only because they were in the way of my goals. I valued my goals more than that people might have gotten hurt well being in the way of my objectives. Sometimes I don't even realize or consider it will hurt them. In that way I suppose I'm not personally as morally functional

However I have heard of sociopaths who do prefer to live the charade, even if they don't feel it. I guess it's like listening to a law because you know it's a law. In my opinion this is dumb. Like you know downloading music or movies for free is against the law, but most people here, even morally inclined, have probably done it. Right?

I guess you have to consider what your motivation for not hurting people is. Do you only refrain from doing it because it makes you feel bad or guilty to do so? Or because you get some gut feeling that it's 'wrong'? People with aspd don't get those feelings. All the social rules/laws you follow are by choice/memorization, there's no internal director so to speak. A lot of the trouble I've gotten into has been impulsive, too, so that's something someone with aspd has to learn to control
>>
>>17105084
I think you're projecting your own perspective and desires onto me and what you're saying seems very subjective - not objective or logical

If I do not feel enjoyment from making friends, or living the ideal lifestyle you're implying, why would I do it?

I think you're trying to see this too much from your own point of view, or a pre-existing perspective you assume all people with aspd share. I find this common reading things about aspd online or in books, it's irritating. This outside view, this misconception. I don't live in constant fear or misery. Burning bridges is undesireable but it's not some huge, horrible consequence. I think this was best explained to me by a friend: I don't experience consequences because I don't view them as consequences. They're just another bump in the road and things move on, I don't even think that far ahead or behind

It seems like your favorite food is icecream, I've told you I don't like ice cream, and now you keep asking why I wouldn't force myself to like ice cream because you like it so much

Does that not make sense?
>>
>>17104908
I have ADD, some sort of mild depression (Im never sad nor happy, thats basically it) and I have trouble feeling stuff
boredom is a big part of my life
we are different, I pretend im a good person but I dont really feel anything for people, I didnt cry when my grandfather died and I used to love him
I like to say I still do but I cant feel it honestly

I always ask myself what is keeping me from being a bad person, did that ever happen to you or you just dont care?
because I honestly dont know why I do nice things, I just act like a nice person

have you ever gone through something like that?
I think id make a good sociopath and I dont know what holds me back

i dont think I ever going to be a bad person but apathy is a big part of my life and I think I share some traits with you

what is the difference between being a sociopath and me pretending I still care about things and people?

im not a sociopath tho, I love dogs and Id be upset if I see one getting hurt by someone
is that empathy?
>>
>>17105193
>If I do not feel enjoyment from making friends, or living the ideal lifestyle you're implying, why would I do it?
I can relate
>>17105196
im this anon
>>
>>17104778
have you ever done drugs?
what do you feel when high?

drugs objectively make you feel emotions, whats the case when you do them?
>>
Being a sociopath isn't anything special nor interesting.
>>
>>17105258
>im not special so being special isnt a big deal
>we normies also want attention ):
>>
>>17105091
I'm not sure I'm following your train of thought. You have that manic rambling air going. Perhaps you could better clarify?

If you don't think I'm a 'true sociopath' it doesn't matter much to me, but I'm still willing to answer your questions (provided I understand them)

>>17105109
See, this just sounds like you're projecting your own experience/narrow understanding onto me. I don't think people are good or bad, it doesn't change anything for me if they are or not

Kek, I think you need to get your meds adjusted
>>
>>17105196
To be honest what you're describing does sound like depression (from my understanding that kind of apathy can be a sign of it), if your ADD is untreated it likely contributes

I don't really consider the concept of good or bad unless provoked, so I'm not sure how much insight I could provide. I don't have much in terms of retrospect or hindsight unless someone else lays it out for me, generally

I can't really tell you if that's empathy or not, either. I actually have a very hard time wrapping my head around what empathy is. I wouldn't feel sad if a dog died, though. It would just be dead

I was having a conversation with a boy once, when I was young. I asked him, if he walked past an alley and saw some hobo bleeding out, would he help them? He said he would. I asked why? He said it'd be the right thing to do, he couldn't really explain it. I was so frustrated by that, I thought he was lying. I couldn't fathom why you would help that person. He even got mad at me that I wouldn't help/couldn't understand why he would, thinking I was messing with him. You really have 0 natural understanding of it, you have to learn, logically, what other people think/expect

Not sure how relevant that is it you
>>
>>17105207
I've done a lot of drugs. I like them. They do make me feel things, but they don't make me feel things for other people

I'm not entirely void of emotion, just towards others. Apparently my emotions are shallow and short lived, but I only know that from outside observation. Honestly, how do you always know you aren't feeling something the same if you haven't felt an alternative?

I'm probably more impulsive on drugs but I honestly think I'm not that different than when I'm sober, things are just less boring

When I was a teen I did a lot of ecstacy. I thought it was making me feel the bonds between friends. Eventually I realized I was just enjoying the high and people played no part in it. I also thought I was being really generous and friendly, but in reality I alienated myself, stole more, manipulated more, got in fights more, etc. All my 'dysfunctional' behaviors were amplified

But I think lots of people can get like that when it comes to drug use
>>
>>17105258
What are you, some kind of narcissist?

You think people care what you think of this? It looks like they're asking their questions either way. Seems your opinion isn't anything special nor interesting

But you already knew that, didn't you? Did you want to try to validate yourself a little? Feel better about your own insignificance by proxy?

Really, I'm curious. What were you hoping to achieve with this comment?
>>
>>17105299
Yeah it mist likely is just depression
I used to be really emotional as a kid, sometime growing up I just stopped feeling stuff
Im not a sociopath, thats nice
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.