[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get over the fact that my best friend is quitting smoking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1395690785814.jpg (88 KB, 550x620) Image search: [Google]
1395690785814.jpg
88 KB, 550x620
How do I get over the fact that my best friend is quitting smoking?

>was one of the first things we bonded over/have bonded over the most
>has been distant towards me lately
>recently started smoking weed again after quitting for a long time, which is something I'd never join him in

More than being about tobacco, I'm afraid he's dumping me as a friend and a huge thing we used to do together. What do?
>>
Vape, that ought to teach him.

I'm serious.
>>
>>17099653

my gfirst suggestion was to ditch smoking with him. only one of these thigns is important to you. if its smoking you find more smokers. if its friends you quit smoking because you are deepening your bond in doing so, while still revolving around the cigarettes.

but if you feel hes ditching you it may be time to move on in general. the big question

>how do i get over

never ask this. life is life is life. there are no ways to 'get over' this nonsense out side of comforting rituals. you continue living life. if you sense its creating a hole (re: a lack of friend to hang out with) than you either mend the fence or go find new fences.
>>
>>17099661
Both are important. I love smoking, but I also really value my best friend.
>>
>>17099680
As a social smoker who doesn't buy packs and can go months without a cig, I'd say if he's a good friend quit smoking. If he's serious about stopping smoking its a huge temptation for him to be around you when you smoke.
>>
>>17099758
Like I said, I don't want to quit. I just won't smoke when I'm around him anymore.
>>
if all you bonded over in the first place was a smoking ritual it's probable that he's realized there is not much more to your friendship. this happens to many people, more so with weed/other drugs than cigs, but you seem to be saying you bonded over cigs and now he's quit those and turned to weed which you don't partake in, so...

but yeah, a lot of people are "friends" but all they do is get stoned together and talk about weed. without that, they've got no other relationship at all. friends shouldn't need drugs to bond over, they should be able to be with each other entirely sober without a problem.
>>
>>17099653
>More than being about tobacco, I'm afraid he's dumping me as a friend and a huge thing we used to do together. What do?
Quit together. Bond over that. Then put the money you were spending on cigarettes in a jar, and when you've saved up for a year, use the money to do something ludicrously kickass.
>>
It's fucking bad for you. I smoke occasionally too but it is. The solution to your problem is really just "stop being unreasonable" because it's not at all reasonable to get upset over someone you care about quitting something that's slowly killing them.

He's not fucking ditching you. You have an identity outside this one little habit, presumably he still likes every other facet of this identity. Chat with him about movies, books, play video games together, ask him if he wants to grab a bowl of ramen or some wings or whatever you're into and just talk about life. You say he's a close friend. Do you not do shit like that already?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.