[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deciding a College Major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: Emily.jpg (35 KB, 570x716) Image search: [Google]
Emily.jpg
35 KB, 570x716
So I was a finance major but I ended up getting kicked out of the business school because I shit the bed in terms of attendance even though my actual grades were more than fine. Now I'm stuck deciding between Computer Science or Philosophy for sophomore year. If I went CS I'd probably just find a job out of undergrad and that's that. With Philosophy I have the intention of applying to law school so that it's not just a waste of money. On one hand I like the idea of being a programmer more, but I'm not really sure if I'm cut out for it. Math based topics have never really been a strong suit for me, but I've always been good at writing and analyzing readings. Am I setting myself up for failure if I try to tough it out through CS? Should I just take what would probably be the easier route and major in something that fits my strengths?
>>
>>17098247
What careers are you interested in? Answer that first, then pick a major that will help you reach that goal. Ask your school's career center for advice matching skills/interest to a career.

If you're considering the law school route, pick an undergrad major that will still offer some value if law school doesn't work out (in other words, not philosophy). Your GPA will also count for a lot too. Hope it's still above 3 at least.
>>
If you're interested in technology there's other majors you can take aside from the ones based in programming. Is there anything else you've considered?
>>
>>17098263
That's the thing, I don't really know what I want. I'm way too fickle when it comes to deciding what I want to do.
>>
>>17098263
Philosophy majors score the best on the LSAT and are #2 in the humanities when it comes to job placement and earnings. Not as good as petroleum engineering but hey.

OP I wouldn't go into a STEM program unless you're genuinely interested in the subject and are good at math. You will hate your classes and if you manage to land a job you'll hate that even more.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.