[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did you figure it out /adv/? I'm 21 and working full
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: late.png (70 KB, 1088x774) Image search: [Google]
late.png
70 KB, 1088x774
When did you figure it out /adv/?

I'm 21 and working full time at my family company but I don't like it. I applied to University and got in but I have no idea what I should major in. Everyone just says that's what you're supposed to do.

I feel like an idiot being so unsure on what I want to do with my life when everyone else is finishing up school and getting jobs in fields they're passionate about.
>>
>>17097770

we get 30 thousand posts a day about how people dont know what they do. and despite college attendance adn graduates at an all time high, theres still a large majority if people who cant even consider hte possibility of secondary education.

i knew what i wanted to do since i ws about 8 years old. i had two very strict rules
>i wanted to do something paranormal
>i wanted to make movies

i do both, though the latter independently.
>>
I don't see what you expect us to say. You have to decide what you want to do on your own. We can't do it for you.

However, one thing I want to point out:

>Family company
You should take a moment to be grateful for the fact that you have a family situation which is strong enough to actually guarantee you a job. You say you "don't like it," but millions of people in the U.S alone would kill for that kind of stability. You probably get paid relatively well too.
>>
>>17097770
>getting married before 30

why
>>
>>17097770

When did I "figure it out?" I probably still haven't, but I tried to set a goal and know that I'd have to make compromises along the way. It wasn't until 28 years old that I finally found myself in a well paying marketing job, and even now, I'm not all that happy with it, even though I'll be promoted soon.

In my opinion, the best course of action is to find something you feel that you'd like, but be realistic that what you specifically want to do might not happen - or at least might not be a direct path. You're definitely not an idiot though, and you've determined you don't like the family company. There's nothing wrong with forging your own path.

For example, my hope one day is to write comics. I'm not entirely sure that it's possible, but I've learned more and more that getting your foot in the door is the most important part. I'm going to continue climbing the ladder, and try to go work in marketing for Marvel, and hopefully find my way onto a book one day. It may take a lot more years than I'd like, but if you're willing to work hard, you can make amazing things happen.

Good luck anon!
>>
I'm 21 and living in my mom's basement after working full time for two years and realizing that working for someone is the most soul draining waste of fucking time ever.
I'll never figure it out. I'm going to die a fucking loser because I don't know what I want and I'll never fucking know.
>>
>>17097831
more like
>why can't that be me
>>
>>17097831
I second this.
>>
>>17097770
There's a post on Mark Manson's website about this sort of thing. His assertion - which I whole-heartedly agree with - is that people already have their passion. They just ignore it.

Think about what you like to do in your free time. Think about what it is really hard. Think about if you have something that makes you feel really alive. Then go do that. Personally, I really like exploring things, mostly urban and industrial environments. I found >>>/p/ 4 years ago and found out that I really like taking pictures too (I used to draw a lot when younger). I spent the past 4 years taking pictures of things I found interesting. And I've gotten good at it, enough to the point that people offer me paid work or ask to buy printed copies of my photographs.

I hope that helps. If you can't think of anything, anything at all, even the most niche thing that really gets you excited, then I don't know what to tell you. But I'm sure there's something. Just think about it a bit and you'll find it.
>>
>>17097831
>>17098364
>>17098393
The entire image looks like a miserable shitshow.

>Spend whole life doing everything right
>Graduate from college in your early-20's
>Married before 25
>Miserable by 25 (quarter-life crisis, AKA "my life sucks balls")
>Now you're 26-35 and you've accepted your shitty lot in life
>By the time 35 rolls around you're contemplating death
>Nothing but a miserable grind from then on
I am so thankful I took a nonconventional path through life. Yeah, I've been poor my whole adult life, and I've struggled like anyone else, but I'm almost 30 and feel like my life is on the up-and-up.
>>
>>17098395
This seems like pretty good advice but I think many people fall into the trap of following what they love to do and that doesn't always provide work opportunities for employment.

But I think my single biggest niche is having conversations with people about their perspective in and about life, it fascinates me and I can't see me ever getting bored of listening to people talk about their lives. I feel like I would make a really great therapist or something but I know the field is pretty saturated. Ideally I think something like that would be my dream job, but I can't see my being able to compete with all the other psych grads.
>>
>>17098965
This is a particularly soul crushing attitude. The idea that how you sell your labor be the primary concern. I guess it comes down to how much you value money.
>>
>>17099005
A man's gotta eat, I don't know where you live but social assistance can only get you so far. I understand what you mean about doing what you love because it's what you love to do but that doesn't pay the bills.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.