[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bored with life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (602 KB, 1280x1778) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
602 KB, 1280x1778
Nothing seems to make me really happy anymore, I just don't find thrill anywhere. Does anyone else feel like this, and where do you find meaning? I've been thinking about taking up urban BMX recently as a hobby, because watching videos online make sit look really interesting, but otherwise, what should I do?
>>
>>17095170
Yeah, getting a hobby is good. Some people find meaning in their jobs.
>>
File: another-view-of-great-buddha.jpg (860 KB, 868x1137) Image search: [Google]
another-view-of-great-buddha.jpg
860 KB, 868x1137
Losing the passion for life is a great step along the way towards Nirvana. If you rekindle the passion, you will only suffer again later. According to Buddha it is craving for pleasure and to re-experience pleasure that perpetuates suffering in life due to the impermanence of all things.
>>
>>17095211
Jesus is better
>>
>>17095211
I'm not exactly a Buddhist, but I'm open to new ideas. What would you suggest I do, try to void myself of pleasure, or just understand that suffering is part of life, or something else? Can a person truly feel happy if they don't give in to the craving of pleasure?
>>
>>17095229
The human brain is pretty much wired for pleasure. Serotonin and all that shit. Are you in a midlife crisis?
>>
>>17095244
Just turned 20. Having trouble being like I was. In the last year, I got out of a three year relationship, lost 50 pounds and started to get fit, academically became great, and I've been dating a lot - the dating has mostly sucked though. I just feel like I don't feel anymore, the highs or the lows. Living is just kind of me browsing reddit, doing work, and sleeping. No excitement or anything. Just looking for some way to feel again. I just feel numb to life.
>>
>>17095261
>what is depression?

Also
>browsing reddit
REEEEEEE
>>
>>17095261
idk man you might just be in too much of a routine or something. Why don't you try picking up a show? Game of thrones or something like that. Or gaming.
>>
>>17095229
read Siddartha by Herman Hesse to get a taste
>>
>>17095271
Used to play Minecraft obsessively. It doesn't do it for me any more. Mirror's Edge held me over for a while, but once I beat the story there wasn't much more. Fallout 4 now, but slowly losing interest. Only play once or twice every six months now because of busy schedule. Am very into Marvel movies, but fiction can only help me escape for so long. I need something more, and I don't know what it is, or if anyone does.
>>
>>17095294
I wonder if you could do with a little bit of therapy then. I've had friends say it helped them alot.
>>
>>17095267
I don't know, I have a huge respect for people with disabilities and issues like that, and would never impose this on someone else (ever) but I feel like because it's me I'm definitely not depressed, just weird and down and energy-less or something. I feel like depression has to be really bad, and whatever I have is something I gotta walk off because people have it worse

And sorry about Reddit, it's a hole, but an addicting one. I feel like I should quit it but submitting to the liberal instant gratification is too easy and I'm weak
>>
>>17095302
Had some issues to work through, inquired about school counseling - they were way booked and couldn't fit me (or my depressed and suicidal friend) for another three weeks, at which point it would be finals week and we would have no time anyway. Kind of a twisted and sucky system, especially since they turned away a girl who's tried to kill herself before and felt like she's on the same road. And therapy's just too much money. Thought I could just lift the pain away at the gym, but maybe I need to bite the bullet and get therapy. I don't think that would ever happen though
>>
>>17095278
Will do, thanks so much for the recommendation
>>
Get a new passion. Challenge yourself to git gud. Learn to play an instrument, pick up a competitive activity, or find a new creative outlet. Anything that you can see progress in and feel good about.
>>
>>17095330
You can always just go once or twice and see what you think. Just to try it out. But if all you do is just go to work, sleep and do it all over again then of course you'll be miserable.

>Anything that you can see progress in and feel good about.

this.

has to be something you're good at, so many different hobbies out there.
>>
>>17095343
I didn't even read your whole post, and urban BMX totally fits my advice. Learn to ride, and with each new trick you get you'll have something to be proud of. You'll meet lots of people at skateparks and make new friends. Fucking do it.
>>
>>17095352
Learning drawing, getting really good at it. Interested in storyboards for and graphic novels. I've also travelled internationally as a musician, and I'm a fairly accomplished writer. I guess, now that I think about it, those things have made it worth it for me when nothing else has. Putting out a creative product for real people does make me feel... Something. I'll keep doing that.
>>
>>17095354
Yeah, I'm going to. I'm going to start saving money for a good bike and good parts, but for now it's research, and look for spots I guess.
>>
>>17095359
Yeah see you'll be fine. Just have to find the time and put in the effort to do those things and it will be good from then on. You could probably take classes on that, join a club with other people with similar interests like art and shit. And you're in college where they have all that shit available I'm sure.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.