[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
lets say you're almost 30 years old, and you've ended
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1443820960965.jpg (68 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1443820960965.jpg
68 KB, 500x375
lets say you're almost 30 years old, and you've ended up in a job that makes just above minimum wage, and you're barely getting by while the job starts to burn you out. you are left with debt from school, and no one you know can help support you financially.

please list all the constructive things one could do to get out of this situation and to make a better quality of living. bonus if you're from canada, ontario and got out of a similar situation.
>>
knocked up my girlfriend. her dad wanted to kill me. instead he helped get me a job in a factory where I'm making about $20/hr, in an apprenticeship program for industrial maintenance. in other words, find a better job.
>>
>>17091287
I'm 31 and basically in the same situation. What I'm doing is biding my time until my parents die and then killing myself. Mileage may vary, etc. Or "kilometerage," since you're Canadian.
>>
>>17091292
thanks; do you have any other plans beyond that? i'm doing this for my boyfriend; he's worked in a factory before and hated it for its mindlessness. he's the kind of guy who needs his brain challenged or have him moving, or he'll get incredibly depressed.

>>17091312
i said something constructive, jesus christ get some help man...
>>
>debt from school
Did you graduate?
>>
>>17091413
yes, the degree was in psychology. my boyfriend wanted to be a social worker for children with special needs, but has gotten himself stuck in a rut, and is now trying to break out of it.
>>
>>17091429
Was it a Bachelors or did he attend grad school as well? Because a bachelors in Psychology alone isn't going to do a whole lot for him.
>>
>>17091434
just a bachelors to my knowledge. he struggled financially very hard, so i guess he couldn't take up any more debt than he already accumulated.

i've searched for jobs with him, and a lot of social worker jobs seem alright with a bachelors. just requires a full driver's license and a car which we're working on acquiring together.
>>
>>17091287
I've got a bachelor's in psych too and now I'm just working in a warehouse following whatever my scanner tell me to do. I haven't thought about my future because I figure I'll be dead soon anyways.
>>
have him look into low level dsp (direct support professional) jobs

i have friends who only graduated high school who work full time as dsps and make 10-12 usd doing it, plus benefits, plus there's always room for upward mobility

idk how it works in canada but it's a pretty easy job to get in the states, a lot of the programs are state/government funded
>>
>>17091625
Psych major about to graduate with a bachelor's in less than a month. Wish I picked a better major.
>>
>>17091648
Thank you, that's some great information, i'll pass this on to him.

What do you guys also think about him reaching out to his former profs and classmates in order to help him find something? Its been a very long time since he was out of school
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.