[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Computer Engineering vs. Electrical Engineering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 4comp.png (9 KB, 295x402) Image search: [Google]
4comp.png
9 KB, 295x402
How do I decide which to go into? I am definitely really interested in both from a learning perspective, just don't know which I'm more interested in after college.

And ik my 4Comp is an MS Paint masterpiece
>>
>>17088458
I am an EE student and i can really recommend it, there are so many areas you can specialize in and you could even make electronics your hobby and actually try out what you learn yourself.
Be aware that you really need math all the time and i am not talking about easy math.
>>
>>17088474
Yep calculus and physics really interest me which is why I want into engineering in the first place, but computers and simulations are also things I want to learn about which is why I was thinking computer engineering.

Not sure how much freedom is in electrical engineering in the more computer technology areas, but definitely considering going there anyway because I'm not too sure how badly I want to work with computers either. Thanks for the reply
>>
>>17088458
Just graduated with a compE degree myself man! You might already know this, but they are very similar as compe students take we courses and vice versa.

Do you like programming? Typically compe does more programming/software engineering while ee students focus on electrical circuits and hardware, but it isn't always the case.

My opinion would be look into beginner programming and circuit analysis concepts and see which you find more interesting.

Best of luck with your education!
>>
>>17088506
For me (in germany) i have had courses which allowed me to programm something in java (ofc you get told what to programm, in the way you do it you have a lot of freedom), i also learn assembly and matlab code.
Simulating stuff with simulink, comsol, LTSpice and some RF Wave simulation was all i really came across but was already enough for me.

From what i heard about the people at Computer science, it is really heavy on theory.
A few courses like information technology are also included in my schedule, not sure if this is a global thing though.
>>
>>17088534
I know the basics of Python, haven't looked into circuit designs much, but I definitely will now. Thank you
>>
File: z-machine.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1586) Image search: [Google]
z-machine.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1586
CE graduating in two weeks reporting in.

I live in apartment with two EEs and two other CEs who are also graduating. We basically took all the same classes until the start of Junior year, at which point we start taking high-level elective courses. The EE/CE split at my school looks like this:

Classes EE/CE take together: Digital Signal Processing, Mathematics of Signals and Systems (Fourier, Laplace, FFT, System Optimization), Controls, Calculus I-III, DiffEqs, Linear Algebra, Electric Circuit Fundamentals I-II, Semiconductor Physics I, C Programming for Engineers, Introduction to Computer Architecture

EE-focused Classes: Power Electronics, Semiconductor Physics II, EM Fields and Waves, Digital and Analog Integrated Circuit Design, Microelectronics I/II, RF Engineering, Light and Optics, Nanotechnology, Materials (EE), etc.

CE-focused Classes: Computer Architecture and Organization, Cache/Memory Theory and Design, Operating Systems, High Performance Computing, Robotics I-III, Embedded Systems, RTOS, Microprocessor Design, Data Structures and OOP, Software Engineering I/II, Discrete Mathematics, Network Engineering, etc.

cont.
>>
>>17089332
cont.

Basically we take whatever we want in terms of those EE/CE electives, so long as we meet the credit quota for our particular major.

Basically, the CE/EE/CS:
CE - Vague, depends on where you go to school; mostly split between architecture/design jobs and software engineering. Architecture/design careers involve designing cache/memory/processors and system organization for phones, computers, embedded systems, electronics, etc. These jobs involve programming (VHDL/Verilog/C/proprietary software), applied architecture theory, mathematics, and principles of EM/semiconductors/electronics. Pay is very good (65k+ starting). Software engineering jobs vary a lot; anything from OS, I/O, device drivers, firmware, enterprise, etc. Similarly, pay varies from complete shit to very good (50k-80k starting).

EE - Design of power systems, digital/analog ICs, RF engineering stuff. There's a lot you can do with this; huge industry, large demand. Depending on experience, you can still take jobs in software/embedded system/computer architecture fields. Pay is fairly consistent (65k+ starting).

CS - I don't know a lot about CS, mostly because I didn't study it. Like CE, it seems to vary a lot from school to school. Where I attend, CS students are not exposed to electronics or hardware. I asked a CS student I know, he summarised CS as "applied mathematics". You get programming theory, mathematics, and a wide scope of language exposure. CS students here are mostly exposed to software development tools for enterprise and web (Java, C#, .NET, Ruby, Python, PHP, HTML, etc.). Jobs I've seen in CS typically involve software development (making software like SAP, .NET applications, etc), and pay ranges from about 50k-65k starting

All are pretty interesting and have decent career outlooks. Architecture-oriented CE and software development CS jobs tend to be very competitive, especially in large, industry powerhouses (Google, Amazon, Intel, NVIDIA)

cont.
>>
>>17089401

cont.

Again, these are only results I've seen personally. I can only speak for the cirriculum/career path/pay of people I've seen in my area/school. I'm not saying that any of EE/CE/CS are bad, they're all pretty top-tier choices for study.

Career breakdown (people I know):
EE - Analog Devices, Texas Instruments, BAE Systems, UTC, Raytheon, Rockwell Automation, Siemens, General Electric, Emerson Electric,

CE - NVIDIA, Intel, Google, BAE Systems, GoPro, AMD, Texas Instruments, Raytheon, HP, Epson, UTC, Adobe, Verizon, Chevron, Altera

CS - Liberty Mutual, Goldman Sachs, Intuit
{Again, I don't know a lot of CS people}

I say look at the classes I posted to see what you like, then look into some of these companies above to make sure they do stuff you're interested in. That's probably the easiest way to pick, unless you want to double major (very difficult where I attend, typically 1-2 semesters extra required).

If pay is your first concern, you can't go wrong with either EE or CE. My EE roommate and I are both working at the same company post-grad and we're taking in about the same salary (a few hundred dollars per year difference).
>>
>>17089433
That was really helpful, much appreciated, thank you!!
>>
>tfw no ce at my shitty school
Took cs and its now too late to change to ee
School counselors suck balls
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.