[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Life Advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: 18.jpg (20 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
18.jpg
20 KB, 640x480
I am stuck in a massive rut. I am 28 years old, had to move back with my parents. Because of my massive debt.

I have $20,000 in Student Loan Debt, and $10,000 in Medical Debt. I currently pay a total of $400 a month to pay this debt

Since I have had to move in with my parents, they began charging me rent and I have had to pay more than my share of the utilities (more than half), and buy my own food. This isn't bad, but the problem is. I only work for $9 an hour. Full time, sometimes I have overtime. I have no money at the end of the month. My job is down the road so I had to sell my car and I walk just to save money on gas and not have to deal with insurance.

They charge me so much, I have little money for food and I normally eat only three small meals a week.

I have little options for new employment. I work hard at my job, but I feel it would be gauche to ask for a large enough raise to get another car and move back away from home.

Very few places in my area pay more than $10 an hour starting out, and I do not have the means to move to an area with better paying job.

What can I do to fix this?
>>
>>17068609

Got any savings?
>>
Why are your parents such dicks to you?
>>
Sucks to be you, should have gotten a good degree instead of the dogshit one you've chosen.

My advice would be maybe you should ask for duties instead of paying that much in rent. Like cleaning, mowing, etc in supplementation to the charge of rent.
>>
>>17068637

I already do chores. I clean, mow, do maintenance on their cars. And I don't have a degree, I do have two years of college but had to drop out.

>>17068630

That was gone a long time ago
>>
>>17068656

So you do all these chores and it doesn't take away from the cost of your rent?
>>
>>17068665

No. Growing up, I never had an allowance or anything, parents always said that I did work for them and being allowed to eat and sleep under their roof was my allowance. a

My rent is $400 a month, and Utilities take up the rest.
>>
>>17068671

Location? Monthly paycheck and student loan payment?
>>
>>17068671

Can't you explain this to your parents? They seem like assholes for not helping you through rough times
>>
>>17068676
Southern Michigan. Monthly it's 1232 after taxes.

My student loans are $300 a month. Medical bills are $175 every month.

I have Asperger's syndrome. And a broken back due to a car accident...but because I do work full time, I can not get any kind of supplemental income.
>>
>>17068682
I ask for leniency and they say that they had it worse because they lived together in a homeless shelter when they first got married.
>>
You should move out op. If you pay them 400 bucks plus utilities you could probably afford a place somewhere. Also maybe your parents are being dicks because you are 28 and still live at home. Get a girlfriend and move in with her instead.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
>>17068694

Seconding this, you are in an unhealthy environment and your parents are actively holding you back.
>>
>>17068694

I have been searching for a place, which would be nice, but nothing is available yet.

And getting a GF may be a hard preposition. 28 years old, living with mom and dad...instant loser.
>>
File: Capture.png (98 KB, 679x523) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
98 KB, 679x523
Hey OP, just looked this up for you. All these purple dots are places that are under $600/month.
>>
>>17068713

Thanks for the help bro, but that doesn't help. I am very southern Michigan. Almost in Ohio and Indiana.
>>
>>17068692

Your parents are idiots if that is really their argument. You should move out and away as fast as you can.
>>
File: Capture.png (89 KB, 680x527) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
89 KB, 680x527
>>17068716
>>
>>17068703

Find a flat share. You don't need your own place, just find a flatmate. Your parents sound awful. Move out ASAP.
>>
File: 1461461462767.png (130 KB, 680x527) Image search: [Google]
1461461462767.png
130 KB, 680x527
>>17068724

This is where I am.

>>17068726

I have been keeping an eye out in the papers and on craigslist. I literally have nothing, so it wouldn't be much to move.
>>
As a 27 year old NEET who lives with parents, doesn't pay rent, and doesn't get any free government money, I sympathize with OP's situation.

What made your parents so icy cold, man? they charge you rent even though they know you're suffering so much? what's their problem? what do they do in life? what is their religion and life philosophy - thou shalt work?

also why did you go to college if you knew you'd get stuck with debt?

what is your view of life? do you want to be "independent"? married, kids? what? if you're religious what's your religion? do you think death is the complete end? do you like life and want to live a long time? are you afraid of dying?
>>
https://swmi.craigslist.org/apa/5552812856.html
https://swmi.craigslist.org/apa/5527253663.html

Don't know if this is close to you but here's 2 places under 700.

https://swmi.craigslist.org/lab/5553547561.html

https://swmi.craigslist.org/lab/5546543135.html

https://swmi.craigslist.org/lab/5498733176.html

Here's jobs paying more than $10 an hour
>>
File: Capture.png (52 KB, 670x392) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
52 KB, 670x392
>>17068735

http://www.zillow.com/b/323-E-Bell-St-Apt-101-Camden-MI/41.75143,-84.75328_ll/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4893-Cambria-Rd-Hillsdale-MI-49242/2099027248_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4241-S-Pittsford-Rd-Pittsford-MI-49271/2099554073_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/40-Glenn-Ave-Quincy-MI-49082/2123581689_zpid/

http://www.zillow.com/b/117-West-St-Jonesville-MI/41.98252,-84.66216_ll/
>>
>>17068609
What job are you working?
>>
This is my first post ever OP. But I felt bad enough that I had to say something cause I was in a similar situation once. Try to arrange a deal with the loan agency where you can maybe pay a fraction of the debt for the next year( as long. As your paying they can't send it to collections). Live with your parents a little longer and save the money that doesn't go to your debt until you can afford to comfortably move out to another town that isn't a ghost town shithole.
>>
>>17068688
Also op how do you work if you have a broken back? you should go to the doctors for back pain, get Oxies, and sell those bad boys.
>>
>>17068751
Maybe his parents are trying to give him the push he needs to move on with his own life. I would be upset if I had a looser son who dropped out of school and is 28 still living at home. don't blame the parents for being parents
>>
>>17068751

They have always been stern. They are encouraging me to leave by charging me rent.

My Mom is a homemaker, and my dad works a union job for shit tons of money. My mom is an agnostic, former Catholic. My Dad doesn't talk about that stuff.

I went to college because It was being partially paid for. I had some loans, some grants, but my grandpa died when I was in middle school and left me quite a bit of money which I chose to set aside for college. I underestimated the cost of college.

My view on life is dark. I am now convinced that happiness is earned and not made. Some people are born to be in despair and hardship just so others do not have to be. Some people, no matter how hard they work will never leave their situation because they have to be in a bad position.

I'd love to be independent. I'd love to find a girl who accepts me for me, and have some kids. I don't have a religion.
>>
File: aku.jpg (25 KB, 429x345) Image search: [Google]
aku.jpg
25 KB, 429x345
>>17068783

Homemaker doesn't get a vote.
>>
>>17068758
I build boat docks. It's fulfilling work really.

>>17068762
I live in constant pain. You know how doctors have that 1-10 chart for pain, it's a constant 8. But I power through it. I'll die because of it, I know this, or I'll destroy my body trying to work...but you know what...It's bullshit. People get on disability for migraines, and I have a busted up back and live in constant pain, and I can't even get a supplemental income? This world is bullshit.
>>
>>17068783
Op your view on life sounds like you are depressed. You need to do more with your life and get out. Do you do anything else besides going to work and being at home. Hanging around asshole parents and working a dead end job will make anyone depressed. You are the only one who can make your life better.
>>
>>17068782
I lived on my own since I dropped out of college. I could support myself fine...but then I was in the car accident.
>>
>>17068609
Spend your free time learning to code. Pick something that interests you -- web development, mobile, video games...there's a ton of money in coding and all you need to learn is a computer with internet (which you appear to have) and the willpower to learn it.
>>
>>17068815
I used to see a therapist, but can not afford it anymore. Used to be on paxil, but I can not afford the prescription.

>>17068815
I have nothing, sold my computer a long time ago. This is not my computer. I snuck onto this computer. It's my dads.

I could try learning how to code. My boss used to be a game programmer and producer, and worked for THQ and Interplay. Maybe he'd be willing to teach me.
>>
>>17068823

Do you even have a smartphone?
>>
>>17068827
Nope.
>>
You should sit down and have a talk with your parents op. no arguments or anything just tell them about how you feel they are unfair etc. maybe they are trying to motivate you to move out or maybe they are just greedy assholes or something.
>>
>>17068837

You're going to need one.
>>
>>17068844
Maybe after I talk to my boss. I work hard and he says so, so he likes how I work...so maybe I can get a bit of a raise.
>>
OP - Looks like you have two major conversations coming up:

1. Talk to your parents. Go into the conversation with the goal of being the bigger man. Don't get emotional. Just lay out "Hey, I would like to move out. In order to do this. I need $N amount of money. To do this, I intend to do X, Y, and Z.

2. Talk to your boss. If you can work more hours, request them. If not, ask him if he might need any additional assistance in the office (non-physical labor). If that won't work, consider picking up a side-gig.
>>
>>17068879
I have guaranteed overtime coming around the middle of next month because of memorial day. I work Monday through Thursday, 10 days. Overtime is often Friday and sometimes Saturday.

I do help out in the office. I do a lot actually. I will ask him on monday what he expects of me, and I'll meet and exceed those expectations.
>>
>>17068889

When you do, document it. Send him a follow-up email to say thank you and review what he said in the meeting.

Bonus points (this got me a raise at one of my last jobs): Keep a journal of what you do so next time you have a review you can show what you did and ask for feedback on how to improve.
>>
>>17068896
Noted
>>
ask your parents to let you live there for free and have food with them, if you are in such a financial rut then they should understand, it will help you have some more money and have a little extra after the month, also ask for more hours an always take overtime, it may suck, but you need the money. I wish you luck bro
>>
>>17068943

Not that easy. They say since I am 28, they have no obligation to feed me, house me, or even clothe me. Without my money going to them, I'd be on the street.
>>
>>17068951
you gotta try man, it will be so much better, i hope your paernts would understand, at least give it a try
>>
>>17068718
>>17068692
What is with western parents and the fact so many of them keep shitting on their kids when they are having a rough time.
>>
>>17069665
theyre called baby boomers. essentially they grew up under really unique circumstances which lead them to a belief that theyre invincible/above criticism/etc
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.