[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
son and watching tv
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 00338181.jpg (55 KB, 500x670) Image search: [Google]
00338181.jpg
55 KB, 500x670
my son (5) is driving me crazy atm. he's constantly asking to watch tv. it's the first thing he asks for when he wakes up. i have no problems to keep to our rules (he's allowed to watch for half an hour in the evening), but his CONSTANT asking and getting angry/frustrated when i say no (despite him clearly knowing the rules) is stressing me the fuck out. it's already starting to make me start the day in a bad mood cause he upsets me first thing in the morning with this bullcrap. and he doesn't just ask nicely. he nags about it and throws temper tantrums when i say no and remind him of the rules.

What do i do?
specifically asking people who have kids. parents who hit their kids can also go away again.
>>
I know this feeling very well. These actually work http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/parenting/5-phrases-that-will-make-your-kids-stop-crying-and-begging/ss-AAey27F#image=4
>>
i just discussed the issue with my brother in law and he suggested that i give an alternative activity to keep him occupied. but it doesn't seem to work THAT good. maybe 3/10 times.

i've just read trough those ideas and the one they use seem to be the "broken record"-attempt. i'll try to not get into a discussion more and just tell him that i'm done talking about the topic
>>
>>17010976
I have a five year old. Tho he is Autistic and can not speak he is very attatched to the tv.

I find i just have to go full hard ass on him.

I tell him no more tv and ignore any further conversation on the matter. And if he gets too aggressive or nasty about it i send him to his room. to cool off.
>>
1. Consider why he wants to watch tv so badly. Is it that he only gets a taste of it and wants more? Or is it a distraction from some kind of dissatisfaction?

2. The kid wants something. And when you're a kid, every single thing you want is a hope and dream. Opportunity to teach him that he can have his hopes and dreams if he makes them happen. He's trying to make it happen, but the only way that is allowable under current rules is to get an exception to you, and he doesn't find it fair that there is no other way and throws his tantrum, which is really just an outpouring of the energy he can't channel into what he wants. Should use that opportunity to teach the above, and also channel that potential tantrum energy into getting some extra work or study time out of him, before he learns that taking behind your back is more rewarding than earning is.

3. I would rework your rule system together with your son, and make sure he finds them fair and exciting. The tv thing is an excellent incentive and opportunity to catalyze that. And make sure he understands the purpose of the rules both as a whole and individually. Ask him what he wants to be in the future and tie it into how the rules are necessary for that.

My 2 cents.
>>
>>17010976
You can't expect a kid to come up with ideas of what to do when he's bored - he is literally incapable of thinking that way. Part of your parental job is to suggest things, and if you can't think of any, do some research on "Fun Activities For Five Year Olds"

Tip -do NOT present them as "Don't watch TV - do this instead." Say "I've got something really special for us to do now"
>>
>>17010989
>Charlotte: "Can I have a cookie?"

>Me: "Yes, you may have one."

>Charlotte: "Can I have three?"

>Me: "This conversation is over."
>>
Crazy idea: do something with your son instead of saying no.

Not a parent, just had a shitty father
>>
>>17010976
I'd just put the tv in the garage and tell him it's gone.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.