[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Travel while NEET
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: travel.jpg (236 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
travel.jpg
236 KB, 1920x1080
Is it a good idea to travel while NEET?

Or will employers look down on it?
>>
If you have the time and money to travel, you have the time and money to climb out of NEETdom.
>>
>>17008707
You're asking if your employer will look down on you traveling while unemployed?
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>17008727
He's talking about future employers, who will invariably ask what he was doing during this gap in his CV. He wants to know if employers will look down on the answer "Oh you know, traveled a bit, Shagaluf m8."
>>
>>17008720
True but I wanna travel

I think it's because I've seen lots of people from my school travel, including current and old friends, and I always think that I'm losing out (and not standing up for doing what I want, when other people do) if I don't do it.

>>17008727
Yes

Will they think "that's interesting and gutsy that he went travelling by himself and did some voluntary work while there" or will they think "fucking rich, private school, lazy bastard, thinking that he can go on a fucking month long holiday and think I'm going to be impressed by it! The bloody cheek!"

I'm 24 b.t.w.
>>
>>17008730
I mean I'm not planning to go to Shagaluf, my plan is Thailand, and hopefully do some charity work while I'm there
>>
>>17008736
Well Thailand has its own immediate connotations that are on par with Magaluf. You might describe it more as "charity work in southeast Asia" as an opener. However the concern I personally have is that when one describes charity work as "travel," it reeks of this phenomenon called voluntourism.

If you're serious about this then you had better accomplish some significant work while you're there. Otherwise it'll sound like the charity is a cover for your globetrotting and
>fucking rich, private school, lazy bastard
will ring loudly.
>>
>>17008730
you know, I've never had anyone ask about my employment gaps
>>
>>17008748
>However the concern I personally have is that when one describes charity work as "travel," it reeks of this phenomenon called voluntourism.

You're absolutely right and I resent my friends and former schoolmates for it

At the same time, I keep thinking "they don't feel guilty about it, why the fuck should I?"

And I know that none of those bastards are genuine about any of that shit, they are rich middle class cunts with daddy's credit card

>>17008751
I assume you're being sarcastic

Also my current gap is 8 months... yeah it's pretty bad I guess
>>
>>17008707
Why would anyone look down on you for traveling? If I was an employer and you told me you'd been sitting on your ass for a year on the interwebs I'd be way more concerned, but traveling is natural and common.
>>
>>17008793
Then why do I feel so fucking guilty about it?

My parents and grandma both say that it's extravagant, that I should get a job...

By the way it would be my money from my savings that I would be spending, not anyone else's

Also, have you done it?
>>
>>17008733
Who gives a shit if you have money to invest in buying a job/career later.
>>
>>17008816
How exactly does one "buy a job"?

Also here's something - I think this issue for me is tied with self-esteem. Logically, I KNOW people who have travelled when they didn't have a job and they got away with it. But I feel like I shouldn't do it myself, like I don't deserve it. It pisses me off.
>>
Shameless attempted bump.
>>
Another shameless attempted bump before I hit the hay
>>
As long as you don't spend 2+ years on holiday I don't think anybody cares.
Unskilled jobs already hire for a large pool of people who don't too much, and skilled jobs want you for your valuable skills regardless.
>>
>>17008730
>who will invariably ask what he was doing during this gap in his CV.
I don't know what you do for work, but that's actually rather rare.
>>
It's easier to travel when you're NEET
And you end up learning new ways to make money.
Trust me.
You can get small jobs doing all kinds of stuff, you have far more choices than the average joe, who is bound to a single social environment. You can't get money in this city? go to the next one. Go to a town, go to a farm, they can always use some help and they're always glad to invite you to dinner and have a bed (or at least a piece of ground) for you to sleep. They're good people, most of the time. They're not like city people who distrust everybody.
You can make something with your hands and sell them. Make fucking cookies and sell them at cafes. Make magic brownies, go to the local underground bar, and sell them to somebody who seems trustworthy (hippies, man, they are nice people even if a lot of people look down on them because they don't have regular jobs at an office).
I'm even surprised that the usual mindset on 4chan, being a lot of us NEETS, is that hippies are dirty lazy bums and whatever.
>>
>>17009252
>>17009265
So you think I should just grow some balls and do it?

Also, have either of you ever done anything this ballsy? If so, how did you make yourself do it?
>>
>>17009306
I'm from Tennessee and people from the country are way more untrusting than people from the cities. Like "you're in the wrong town boy" kind of way. Where are you from?
>>
Shameless bump just because I'm an arsehole
>>
>>17008707
You can always use it as a cover for your NEET time - I spent some time travelling and broadening my horizons before settling into work"
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.