[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Autism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
File: time_autism_cover.jpg (56 KB, 350x468) Image search: [Google]
time_autism_cover.jpg
56 KB, 350x468
Anyone familiar with autism here?

I have this diagnosis and I recently went through some testing by a speech therapist.
She said that I have a problem with selective attention, and that I take in all the sensory stimuli at the same time and feel overloaded.
The team which is taking care of me refers to autism when talking about the disorder I have, but I don't buy it. Isn't what she described more characteristic of a disorder like schizophrenia, rather than autism? At least, that's what I read on the Internet - problems with selective attention are the most characteristic of schizophrenics.
>>
Go see a doctor
>>
OP here.
Also, forgot to add:
She also said that I had a difficulty forming "the big picture" and instead was focused on details, and that I had a difficulty with identifying the emotions and intentions of others.
These two are characteristic of autism (I know that), but is the selective attention part seen in autism at all? I only know this term from the literature I've read on psychotic disorders.
>>
how does it affecct you in every day life? what made you seek help?
>>
I know it's going to sound lame but I have autism and am glad. It's part of what shaped me into who I am.
>>
>>17003148
Do you really think I haven't already?
I already had development disorder related diagnoses from a very young age.
>>
>I take in all the sensory stimuli at the same time and feel overloaded

That's like staple autism. Plus you're posting on 4chan so you chances of having autism is 99%.

Besides the fact that you have problems with selective attention, are there any other reasons you think you have schizophrenia?
>>
>>17003163
>Plus you're posting on 4chan so you chances of having autism is 99%.
rude dude. but also hillarious. have a kek

>>17003152
it's definitely also a trait of autism. i work with disabled kids and some of them ALSO have autism spectral disorders. and you can tell if they have a hard time adapting to new circumstances. they need rituals very much. they usually have some pet topics and all they want to do all day is the same activity. they tend to immerse themselfe in something and forget about everything else. they also lack empathy and the ability to form bonds.
>>
>>17003163
No, but the selective attention part is a very valid reason to think so. Some academics describe schizophrenia as a "disorder of selective attention" (that's what I read in my neuroscience book at least). So if I have an impairment of selective attention, doesn't it mean that I have schizophrenia?
>>
>>17003178
not necessarily. though it's not easy to make a clear cut between those things. more often than not it's a wild mix
>>
>>17003178

I'm not really sure about selective attention specifically, but I think what you might be relating too is the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. I think those are similar to symptoms of autism.

However do you show any positive symptoms of schizophrenia (delusions/hallucinations)? According to the DSM IV you need show signs of symptoms from one of the positive categories to be diagnosed.

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/schizophrenia-booklet-12-2015/index.shtml

Check that out and if any of it sounds familiar bring it up with your doctor.
>>
>>17003147
nah man, that's autism

I get sensory overload, disproportionate anxiety, fixation with things (esp. things that spin), selective attention, trouble with times and dates, discociative empathy trouble

I used to think everyone was like that and that it was normal, but not so
some people used to say "I'm like that as well"....turns out they had autism too, kek
>>
>>17003199
>but I think what you might be relating too is the negative symptoms of schizophrenia. I think those are similar to symptoms of autism.

No, not really. They have different symptomatologies and etiologies.
>>
>>17003147
I can't diagnose you, but what she describes is textbook autism, or at least someplace on the spectrum.

It is the essence of autism to be overwhelmed by sensory input - that's why extreme cases close up and turn inward, and why others get overwhelmed by detail.. And it is the skill of selecting which input to accept and which to ignore that is the backbone of autism .treatment.

Whether or not you've got it, she's giving you and accurate description of the condition.
>>
>>17003385
Alright, thanks anon.

Also, an occupational therapist told me that if I don't socialize and close myself to the real world and keep focusing on my interests, I will regress. What exactly is meant by regression here? Would it be irreversible?
>>
>>17003147
My brother had autism. Only a neurologist can give you a proper diagnosis. Go see one...and stop reading about medical stuff online.

And how old are you? The DSM V casts such a wide umbrella, just about anyone's quirks qualify them for a diagnosis of autism.
>>
>>17003648
>Only a neurologist can give you a proper diagnosis.

Wrong, and I already have the autism diagnosis. Didn't you read the OP?
>>
>>17003757
OP never said they saw a neurologist or a psychologist, just that they got a diagnosis.
>>
>>17003852
Saying that one has the diagnosis is equivalent to saying that one was diagnosed.
When someone says that they have a diabetes diagnosis, chances are, they do, even if they didn't make an unnecessarily long reply and explained how they visited all the different doctors and did the blood tests.
>>
>>17003147
No. "Overstimulation", as they may have said, is a primary symptom of what professionals call autism. Schizophrenia in specific is of many types but they almost all center around things such as hallucinations, delusions, or " intrusive thoughts" that don't feel like they are your own.

That doesn't mean I'm telling you that you have autism, or that you aren't schizophrenic, but that irritability or loss of contr that arises from absorbing too much information at one time to handle is something that real people with autism tend to struggle with. I'd ask your doctors and other care providers about what it means for everyday life to have those disorders if you were curious to know more about it.
>>
>>17004225
I might add, nothing stops the possibility of having multiple psychiatric disorders at once. They can often occur together. Just food for thought.
>>
>>17003147
Die in a fucking fire!!! I'm so sick of you beta cucks claiming some stupid disorder or another to justify your loser existence to yourselves. You don't have autism, you don't have schizophrenia, you a loser: a scared, awkward, little 'girl'. Spend five minutes looking at yourself in the mirror all the while telling yourself that it's time you grow a set of balls. Go out into the world and fail. Then get back up and fail again. Keep doing this until you don't fail, as that is how real people live. And if you can't manage that then just an hero and make the world a better place for your absence!
>>
>>17003147

selective attention is literally just choosing when to pay attention mate
>>
I just got dumped by one of my poly partners out of the blue a few days ago. Reading this has helped me realize she's probably high functioning autistic. Thank you guys
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.