[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here has majored in math? How has it worked out for you employment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
11 KB, 480x358
Who here has majored in math? How has it worked out for you employment wise?
>>
I switched over to math late in the game and got really tired of being in school at 25. So I put it on hold and now I am in the goddamn Navy.

Bretty cool
>>
>>16995739
How do you like the Navy? Could an ex-stoner get in? I heard they pretty much turn down anyone who has smoked more than once.
>>
>>16995836

It's pretty cool so far can't beat the benefits and traveland all that shit. Sure you can as long as you don't have that shit on your criminal record. Just tell em yoube never done the stuff
>>
>>16995841
What do you do and what are my chances of getting stationed abroad or at sea? And what was the whole enlistment process/bootcamp like?
>>
>>16995739
Switched my second year. Getting a job, God willing, at some engineering medical place. They said they'll train me so that's pretty cool.

It's irrelevant, almost, to mt degree. Got it from networking.
>>
>>16995739
I don't need to calculate the total of someone's groceries on the cash register, but I'm required to anyway.
>>
File: high school dropout.jpg (24 KB, 550x300) Image search: [Google]
high school dropout.jpg
24 KB, 550x300
>>16995885
So it's not likely to help much? I can finish an english degree in less than a year at this point. Would I be better off doing that and trying to sell some moderately decent self-published books while delivering pizzas part time? I'm getting sick of school.
>>
>>16995905
If you're in the U.S., we're getting jobs back but nowhere near where we were pre-2008. It's competitive and shit all over, which is why, more than ever, you should do what you love.

Study what you like and find internships. If you dont have internships by your 3rd year then start volunteering just to meet and network.
>>
>>16996137
>more than ever, you should do what you love.
seconding this. but if you can't make a living doing something you /love/, you should at least find something you /like/. most people aren't going to be doing their dream job most of their lives, or ever. that's normal. but whenever possible, you should be in a job that you like enough to feel good about the possibility of doing it for the next 10-20 years. if you're not in that job, you need to be actively looking for it.

I've said it before on this board but it bears repeating because I see this question sometimes - if you're in a major you don't like, or in a job you don't like, start making plans immediately to get out of there as soon as you can. every job market has ebbs and flows, and while there will always be some demand for fields like STEM (to name one), it doesn't take long for the job market to get flooded with graduates if everybody's rushing to get a STEM degree. when that happens, the people who actually like STEM shit will get the STEM jobs, and the people who were just in it for the fat STEM paycheck will be ass-out with a useless degree in something they didn't like anyway. this is because employers prefer hiring people who are enthusiastic about their field because they do better work. you can fake enthusiasm at an interview but it's much harder to do it on a long-term basis at a job, especially at performance review time.
>>
My manager at my gas station job majored in math. So there's that.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.