[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do affirmations work? People say a positive affirmation will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
How do affirmations work? People say a positive affirmation will make you more conscious of opportunities to make it happen, but wouldn't it just attract evidence to where you actually start to believe it? If you tell yourself you are rich, how does that make it more likely?
>>
it doesn't, the law of attraction isn't real.
>>
File: 1375763641106.jpg (44 KB, 438x542) Image search: [Google]
1375763641106.jpg
44 KB, 438x542
>>16989559

>People say a positive affirmation will make you more conscious of opportunities to make it happen

Its pretty much bullshit they put in pamphlets and on the cover of self-help books to trick you into spending 100$ on tickets on a seminar to see some asshole in a suit tell you what a special person you are.

If you want something, work for it, and even then there's a chance you won't achieve it.

That's the law of the universe. Luck + Preparation. That's it.

If affirmations boost your confidence and make you feel better than go for it, it can't hurt.
>>
you're just pumping yourself up psychologically. some people can do it, others can't.
>>
>>16989909
The law of attraction isn't real, but there IS something to the idea that focusing with confidence on something will cause you to notice opportunities that you might otherwise have missed. It's just that there is nothing mystical about it. All you're doing is getting shit done.
>>
>>16989559

>if you tell yourself you are rich how does that make it more likely?

it doesn't. thats not what an affirmation is, really.

if you say
>i can become rich

then you are more likely to actually take the risks needed to be rich, such as starting your own business, going for that promotion, going for a new job, taking a risk and taking a job way over that way.

when you say
>i am confident
it is a lot like having a friend behidn you saying 'go talk to that pretty girl, you can do it'.

without your friend you wouldnt. this isnt much different, but you are bringing that push from within yourself.

one of the definition of affirmations is simply 'emotional support or encouragement'.
>>
It doesn't guarantee success but it is a good first step towards it.
It's harmless as long as you don't go crazy with it.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.