[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I work at McDonald's and the manager keeps changing my schedule
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: McDonalds.jpg (904 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
McDonalds.jpg
904 KB, 1000x667
I work at McDonald's and the manager keeps changing my schedule while I'm not there, not notifying me of this, and writing me up because I don't come in.

If I get one more write-up I'm fired, and whenever I call they tell me they're not allowed to give out schedules over the phone, and the schedule is a confidential piece of information that cannot be copied on paper or given to anyone outside of the store.

Lately I have just been going to the store and asking to see the schedule in person, but this is wasting a lot of fuel for my car and taking up a lot of my time that I would be studying for my college classes.

What should I do? I have actively been trying to find a new job for over a month but nobody will even give me an interview, and if they will they don't want to work around my class schedule.
>>
talk to your union rep about this, it should be in the contract that they need to notify you by phone of any schedule changes
>>
Take out your phone and photograph the schedule.

They're obviously trying to drive you out, but there's not much you can do about that.
>>
>>16987838
We don't have a union.

>>16987842
But if I get caught taking a photo of the schedule I'll be insta-fired. I don't know if I want to take the chance. I'm really hard-pressed for money and can't find another job.
>>
idk how mcdicks does scheduling, but print out your schedule at the beginning of each week as proof that your schedule was changed later on and you were not properly notified.
really though, idk what your situation, but really you should just tell your manager to fuck themselves...
i mean do you really want to work for an asshole that plays games like that??
>>
why are you not allowed to have a paper copy? explain
>>
>>16987845
>We don't have a union.
found yer problem
>>
>>16987852
>>16987857
We can't print out schedules because it's confidential. Our management says it is never to leave the store or be photographed for our own safety.
>>
>>16987862
So let them give your specific dates?
>>
check when he changes it.
>>
opie this sounds terrible. Come to work at Walmart with me. They'll treat you much better. Here we have more standards
>>
>>16987832
>they tell me they're not allowed to give out schedules over the phone
What a load of shit, I worked at McD's for years and never had any trouble getting a clarification on my schedule from a phone call.
>>
>>16987861
this.

Fuck I almost want to get a job at a McD's just to try to unionize them.
>>
>>16987862
is that mcdicks actual policy or are your managers just being lazy dicks?
i guess my next piece of advice is to start making note of the instances when your schedule has been changed, so at least you have proof if they try to approach you...
>>
>>16987887
Worked at Wal-Mart for a while. They do some things I loved, like the two paid 15-minute breaks and an unpaid full-hour lunch break for each 9 hour shift. However, they also did a lot of things that pissed me off. Their employees aren't treated that great overall, they give special treatment for promotions based on seniority rather than merit, the department managers are incompetent and overworked.
>>
>>16987870
Last time I tried to do this my manager seemed really busy and told me to come back later, and left before I got there.

>>16987880
It's changed sporadically. The only way to know for sure is to come in every evening, which I have been doing, but it's putting a drain on my fuel and unnecessary miles on my car.

>>16987887
I applied at Walmart and didn't get hired. They seem to only hire during Thanksgiving. Feels bad man.

>>16987889
I think it's just our franchiser's policy. They pretty much run the thing without corporate doing a whole lot.

>>16987893
It will never happen. In my orientation I had to sign a form saying I won't do anything related to unionizing workers, or even talk about it.

>>16987898
I've been making notes whenever my schedule changes. They won't let me take my phone onto the floor (we have to keep them into a locked box) but I managed to sneak a pen and small notebook to jot down my schedule changes a few times. If I get caught doing this I'll get in trouble though.
>>
>>16987845

In what universe do you get fired for taking a picture of your schedule. Why would that be a problem.
>>
>>16987908
Nigga this McDonald's store sounds like a prison. Your job is shit-tier. Go apply to Wendy's or something, hell even Wal-Mart like the other guy said would be better. At Wal-Mart we got Two paid 15-minute breaks and a full hour for lunch.
>>
>>16987908
ok this is all too much...
is this mcdonalds in north korea??
>>
>>16987862

You need to review your employee handbook and call the district manager. There is not situation in which you cannot have your schedule in picture form or paper form. Management should do everything in their power to make sure you have the schedule to make sure they are always properly staffed.

You should call the district manager and ask for clarification about schedules and tell them what you've experienced. Don't be super cunty, just be like "I like my job but I'm confused about the schedule policy." If it's not a real policy, the district manager will flip out on your manager.

You won't get fired because the manager will be under scrutiny for a while. If he does fire you, call again and complain about retribution and you'll fuck his shit up.
>>
>>16987908
Dude are you dense? Call them an ask to tell you the next time you gotta work. That way you don't need to drive there to check and know when you gotta work. And there's the dude you asked who knows you ask in case the schedule gets changed again. If it's your boss he knows as well.

Oh, and fucking tell your boss why you missed out. Tell him he's gotta tell you when he changes your schedule.
>>
>>16987924
>Call them an ask to tell you the next time you gotta work
OP already said that his store has a policy against giving out schedules on the phone. His store is shit-tier and he needs to find a new job to escape that fucking place.
>>
>>16987926
The only privacy issue is when he gets the whole schedule. His own schedule poses no privacy issue if he gets it.
>>
>>16987908
>In my orientation I had to sign a form saying I won't do anything related to unionizing workers, or even talk about it.
if you're american this is actually illegal, and if they fire you for trying to unionize you can sue them. That's why when wal-mart employees try to unionize they just shut down the entire store instead of firing the leaders.
>>
>>16987936
German here, illegal here as well AFAIK
>>
>>16987832
I work at MC's too, and i never had those kinds of problems. Yes, I'm used to the changes of schedules, but whenever it happens they notify me, even by phone. And obviously we can take photos of the week schedule. They are trying to push you out
>>
>>16987951

It seems like a strange strategy to push him out. Most places would just give your hours away until you found a new job.

I've been in management, and I wouldn't be surprised if OP is stretching the truth. Maybe he's hard to get ahold of or return calls. Maybe he doesn't check his voicemail. Maybe he's a shitty employees who's write ups aren't only about schedules. Honestly this makes no sense to me, if they wanted him out they wouldn't give him hours. As a restaurant you need to make sure you are fully staffed or you'll be fucked, so to create situations where you'll be understaffed is not likely.

Also when you manage a place like a mcds, you KNOW the person who replaces a shitty employee will be equally shitty because of it being entry level fast food, so it's better to keep someone mediocre over firing that person and bringing in someone that might be even worse and needs training.

Tl;dr OP must be a total retard to get ousted from a McDonald's
>>
>>16987973
also since its a non union job I'm pretty sure they could just fire him at any time.
>>
>>16987979

No, actually. Places like McDonald's have guidelines for how they fire. When you are a large corporation you have to be consistent to avoid lawsuits. That's why most places will just stop giving you hours.
>>
>>16987921
This this this. Document everything and don't be afraid to take it to the DM
>>
Their are laws, federal laws, that regulate when they can and can not change your schedule.
Are they changing it within 24 hours or after the end of your last shift?
>>
Tell HR
Find a less shitty job
>>
Having frequented these boards for numerous years, my overwhelming opinion is that, in America, you basically have 0 workplace rights, especially in low paid, low skilled jobs. Is this correct?

Like, I don't understand... how is this allowed? The whole 'You're fired!' culture, this would never fly in Europe, summary dismissal on the spot? This kind of constructive fucking with people, all the stories you hear, it seems crazy to me.
>>
>>16988222
That tends to happen since we're controlled by corporations.
>>
>>16988222
murrica
>>
>>16988222

Americans have tons of workplace rights, the problem is that entry level jobs exploit teenagers and illegals with no knowledge of those rights. Basically they feel they can do what they want as long as they aren't being told on by an employee.

Or, in some cases, its a small, family run business and they exploit their employees by manipulating their emotions, and trying to get around stuff because they think they are small and no one will care or notice.
>>
>>16987951
>They are trying to push you out
>>
Well my brother works a McJob in Australia and I can tell you this: McDonalds Australia has a union for its workers.

OP, call your district manager and advise them of the situation. Also, in any future conversations, write them down - as in who you spoke to, what day what time, what they said exactly.
>>
>>16988222
We do have worker rights, most people are pretty ignorant of them and companies like this
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.