[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dealing with Death
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (389 KB, 1442x1800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
389 KB, 1442x1800
I'm sure many people have dealt with the epiphany that one day you will die. I'm going through this right now and I'm wondering the ways that I can deal with this. I'm just uncomfortable with the notion that it will all end, all I love, all I cherish and enjoy, will dissolve into nothingness.
Simple question, how can I deal with this inevitability?
>>
File: 1456797665089.png (278 KB, 706x412) Image search: [Google]
1456797665089.png
278 KB, 706x412
>>16987251
>I'm going through this right now
How the fuck are you just now realizing that you're going to die one day?
>>
>>16987264
op is 5 years of age
>>
>>16987264
Everyone knows thy are going to die one day, But It only just really hit me the full blown facet of death itself. When we are young we don't think about it, but as time moves forward the notion of ones own death fully sinks in.
>>
Thinly veiled assisted suicide thread, move along everybody.
>>
>>16987251
I deal with the feeling of time and the inevitability of death every single day, I just try to keep my head occupied with other stuff but yes it's a shitty feeling especially for an anxious guy like myself.
>>
There's little satisfying way to deal with this topic, because as you say it's just plain shit.

I've been giving this more serious thought than I'd be comfortable with ever since I was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years back (I'm 23 currently). They got it all, but it hit me that I'm much more likely to get it again, and it was just that sensation of "things are okay now, but they won't be later" which just fucking got me.

The thing is, that depression surrounding the concept of death is due to examining your current state and comparing it to death. You get sad because when you die, you stop enjoying all of the things that you get to do now; you stop breathing, you stop tasting, you stop thinking. Those are all great things, and it's going to suck when you have to stop having them.

Except, it won't suck, because you won't be there any more. That's a concept which is quite hard to wrap your head around, because you're YOU; the only thing you've ever experienced is exactly that - experiencing things. Comparing the experience with the utter and complete absence of experience is something you just can't do. It's like asking a man who has been blind since birth to describe what they are seeing.

The nearest thing to a comparison we can perform is to take the nearest experience of death and contrast that with experience. The closest possible thing to death which it can be said we 'experience' is unconsciousness. That's dreamless sleep, nightmares and nice dreams don't count.

Think about that hard for me, think back to the last time you had a truly dreamless sleep and try to describe it in words.

Have you tried? If you have, you'll have very quickly discovered that you can't.
There's nothing there, it's simply a void of experience.

Now here's the biggie: do you recall being particularly unhappy about your inability to experience things?

Death isn't what everybody's afraid of, dying is; and dying is only temporary.
>>
>>16987387
To wrap this up, that's the best consolation I can offer.

The idea is plain shit, but actually being dead won't be bad at all.
All we can do is hope for a relatively painless dying experience, and rest assured that death won't be that bad at all because it won't be anything at all.
>>
>>16987251
>How can I deal with this inevitability?
Make something of yourself so your legacy carries on after you die. Have a family to carry on your genes, be someone whom others look up to. Death is inevitable, can't get around it.
How you will be remembered is up to you.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.