[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to finally become okay with/accept the fact that life will
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 321x157) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 321x157
How to finally become okay with/accept the fact that life will never be exciting, involve risk/reward, or any kind of heroism/idealistic action?

I know I sound fucking 12 but I'm 25 and still get all chilly and hollow thinking about how life is always going to be mundane.

How to get over this?
>>
Then find something to do. Its that simple.
>>
>>16986830

Like what? I have a career I like and hobbies I like but I don't know...still disappointed with it all. It all seems unimportant and boring.
>>
>>16986829
You don't need to be an action hero to find happiness. Find a goal to work towards that may seem virtually impossible, and work towards it anyway. You think movie stars or successful entrepreneurs got to where they are today by "knowing" their dreams wouldn't come true?
>>
>>16986841

No idea what that would be, though. My career goals and my hobbies can be as difficult as I want, like I can be successful in them as a moderate challenge or have a goal to be world-class in them. That still doesn't sound particularly fulfilling or exciting.
>>
>>16986846
Oh, well. Technically it is possible to dress up in an animal suit and assault gangsters. But even at that, it becomes clear that in real life, nothing is scripted and choreographed - even if you don't get yourself killed, no one is going to see you beat up bad guys in IMAX to say the least. Movies, books and TV shows are an enormous lie, and you have to come to terms with that.

Then again, war veterans have said that their time in action were both the best and worst times of their lives. Something to do with the adrenaline putting their brains' focus and memory center into hyperdrive, allowing them to feel more alive and remember every detail for years after. So join the army and get yourself killed.
>>
>>16986866

Joining the army was always my dream.
I wanted that best and worst so badly.
Medically disqualified, no idea how to hide it. My records are in the military healthcare system because I'm an army brat so...I have no idea how to get around that.
>>
>>16986873
Idk what to tell you then man, except keep looking for a goal in life. GL
>>
>>16986829

real life heroes never find happiness. causes arent won in just a few short weeks. adventure isn't sarcastic quips coupled with little learning lessons.

if you want risk/reward, adventure, and heroics, all of these are available.

but if you are seriously whining that you will never get to be iron man, then you need to grow up.

earth is a vast place with many options of what to explore and how to explore it. to say that is 'mundane' is rather ignorant considering you probably havent bothered to do more than waht your local area has to offer commercially.
>>
1) Find something wrong or that could be bettered about the world
2) Take action

This should be motivation enough
>>
>>16986829
That movie upset me so much.
I bought it on DVD because it was so good but haven't been able to watch it again yet.
Thinking about it just adds to the mundanity and emptiness of life. Fuck. Thanks a lot, op.
>>
>>16986838
this is what filthy rich people try and stress over and over, even if you "have it all" life is still monotonous and boring most of the time. but every once in a while a great day comes outta nowwhere. you didn't have any plans for the day, it was going as usual until all of the sudden XYZ makes it great. Bad days work like this too unfortunately.
>>
>>16986829
If you want adventure, skydive
If you want meaning, do volunteer work.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jBd4fArfQ
>>
While you're not some awesome tactician in close battles everyday, there's still a lot to do (if you did want to go work in a 'war room' you can do that - but it's not constant). There's plenty of risk/reward, plenty of idealism, plenty of new experiences, plenty of luxury, relationships etc. Those things keep people feeling fulfilled.
>>
>>16986829
...make it not mundane. You are literally a few emailed resumes away from a job in another state.
You are an application away from a foreign work exchange.

You are a city bus away from a goddamn soup kitchen or orphanage you can volunteer at and become the kind of guy they cast Hillary swank as when they make the movie.

Asking "how do I just accept mundane" is easily the dumbest question I've ever read in my entire life. You are useless.
>>
>>16987320

It's really great that you're easily entertained.
>>
>>16987325
Worked on a world class resort with free rent and food, climbed mountains and snowboarded everyday, partied every weekend and banged bitches.

The job is the key. It's your security and root in a place better than where you are and they will bring the adventure to you.
>>
>>16986829
>How to finally become okay with/accept the fact that life will never be exciting, involve risk/reward, or any kind of heroism/idealistic action?
You don't have to accept that, there's plenty of exciting, dangerous, and/or altruistic careers (med student here, for example).

>>16986873
>Joining the army was always my dream.
>Medically disqualified, no idea how to hide it. My records are in the military healthcare system because I'm an army brat so...I have no idea how to get around that.
Get some professional skills and apply as something other than infantry, "Every marine is a rifleman" but the army and navy need all kinds of people. I'm also planning to serve.
>>
>>16986829

Become a criminal...

Then everything becomes an exciting risk/reward assessment.

I mean think about it;

>"I need 10 grand by the end of the week... for charges of crimes that would earn me 2500 each would each come with a maximum of three years... I'm risking 12 years jail time. However, one big crime earning 10 grand could earn me a maximum of 10 years, so that is actually the safer option. Not to mention that if caught I could take plea deals further reducing the sentence".

I mean, that's just hypothetical... but if that's the life you crave, it's the life you crave.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.