[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you major in a foreign language as a beginner at the start,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: bistro-menu-the-german-club.jpg (72 KB, 551x389) Image search: [Google]
bistro-menu-the-german-club.jpg
72 KB, 551x389
If you major in a foreign language as a beginner at the start, how fluent will you be (in terms of CEFR) by the time you graduate?
>>
>>16980693
You need to actually go to a place that speaks it to learn it. A huge part of learning a language is getting accustomed to the culture, too, which you'll learn by actually being there.
>>
>>16980821
I think the degree offers exchange opportunities.

You still haven't answered my question of how fluent you will be by the time you finish the degree.
>>
>>16980693
I'm a German major in my 3rd year, I'm probably 25% fluent
>>
The idea to major in a foreign language without any prior knowledge of it seems absolutely alien to me and I don't think its even possible to do so over here.
You pick up two foreign languages in HS and only very rarely start something new in university..

Anyways it depends on many factors OP like what language you are considering, how much work you will put in aside from the classes etc.
>>
>>16980836
>I'm probably 25% fluent
Well how do you measure that...
>>16980840
Are you from somewhere such as the Netherlands? I'm from an Anglo country.
>>
>>16980842
Well it's very hard to measure. You asked for an estimation and really that's all anyone can give you. Every person learns languages at a different rate. I'm probably at the low end of the spectrum, so I think it's certainly possibly with a bit of talent for the language and hard work to be fluent in 4 years
>>
>>16980845
>I'm probably at the low end of the spectrum
So why did you even pick German...?
>>
>>16980847
I still enjoy it, I'm just bad at it. My primary major is history, for which I plan to attend grad school and earn my PhD. The German will likely factor into that
>>
>>16980842
I'm from Germany and I'm a English (and history) major though I already was fluent when I started University.

>>16980847
German is mid-tier when it comes to difficulty tbqh people exaggerate a lot
>>
>>16980849
>>16980852
Oh I see. I thought you meant that you're studying German as your major.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.