[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it only me or does other people do this too? Whenever I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: I8QlqUVh.jpg (114 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
I8QlqUVh.jpg
114 KB, 1252x1252
Is it only me or does other people do this too?

Whenever I meet a new girl/potential girlfriend I later on ask her in a casual way if she has any cancer-illnesses in her family or heart disease. Me myself have pretty good genetics and if I know the other girl has any disease or bad genetics in her family I get uninterested of her, no matter how good personality or good looking she is. I feel like a nazi.

Is this retarded of me? What do?
>>
It's an interesting question, but if you think you're 100% protecting yourself from shit by getting that history up front--HA!

Personally, to me, you're saying you aren't willing to truly be a part of someone's life. I didn't my SO would have a recurring illness. But would I trade him for someone without that illness? Fuck no. He's so much more than an occasional bout of illness and hospitals and doctors.
>>
What's your plan if someone with a clean history gets into your life and then gets sick?
>>
>>16976637

Support them of course, it's not like I'am total robot. It's just something blocking me from being with someone I know has a unclean history, like I'll always go around thinking about it. This all is mostly due to that if I get kids with this girl I'll know that they might get cancer or shit.
>>
>>16976623
"Hi My name's Anon. Please fill out this medical form and have it countersigned by your doctor. And then we can fuck."
>>
>>16976623
If heart disease and cancer were primarily genetic, both diseases would be gone, because the people with those genes would all have died out.

Your little questionnaire is totally useless. You are almost exactly as likely to get cancer as someone whose great uncle had it.
>>
What do you do with people who don't know or maybe only know one side of their family? Out of all things it seems kind of hard to bring it up casually unless they mention a relative being sick. You sound like an asshole.
>>
>>16976623
You can't know for sure whether they have or don't have genetic deal-breakers. Not even with a detailed whole-genome test, because so many genes and mutations are still partial/total mysteries to medical science.

On the other hand, your body has evolved to consider genetics in a potential mate: people who are more genetically desirable for you will be slightly more attractive than otherwise (your genetic spidey-sense is much weaker than a woman's, though, because you're not really supposed to care that much at the end of the day: your ancestors just tried to stick it in every woman they met, the women had to decide which men they preferred).

That's mostly a biological curiosity, though. What you're describing is just an unnatural hang-up that will probably cost you a few good relationships for no good reason.

>>16976641
They might get cancer anyway, don't beat yourself up over it. This isn't something foreseeable except in very simple and obvious cases (like known autosomal recessive pathogenic alleles, most of which your doctor can test you both for anyway when you get to the point where you're planning to have children.
>>
No cancer in my family, surprisingly. But there is a history of alcoholism, obesity, diabetes, NEETism, and heroin addiction.
>>
>>16976623
I don't ask it up front. But overtime I took mental note of the things my SO has just as a list of possible things that can happen if we were to have kids.

My bf has gout that's genetic
But everyone in his family has lived to about 90, which is comforting somehow.
His grandfather had parkinsons, so that worries me.

For my family history, there is no cancer.
But everyone older than me died unfortunate, early deaths. So I don't know how long people in my family live on average.

Doing this just give me comfort in knowing what the future may bring.
>>
>>16976641
That's so fucking stupid, OP. Like seriously, friends who have kids dying of cancer--that's not something any of them could have expected or planned for. Smh
>>
>>16977176
Seriously?! Please read what you wrote. Wow.

Educate yourself on genetics.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.