[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is teaching really such a terrible job as people on this board say?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: 49du439ej.jpg (15 KB, 266x180) Image search: [Google]
49du439ej.jpg
15 KB, 266x180
Is teaching really such a terrible job as people on this board say?
>>
Nah son
>>
>>16976481
Almost everyone in this thread talks about how teachers are treated like shit though: http://archive.4plebs.org/adv/thread/16963962/#q16963962
>>
>>16976486
Well, if you don't stand up for yourself and are able to stand your ground you are going to get threated like shit no matter your career choice
>>
It's worse.
Unless you teach in an private school at a rich white neighborhood (which is nearly impossible to do), your kids will be mentally retarded and their parents will make you lose hope for humanity.

Nothing you try to do will actually help any of them, and if you live in America your entire career will be based on your kids performance which is 80% out of your control. I taught a third grade class once and it was pitiful how behind the entire class was.
>>
>>16976494
But people like >>16976497
say it really sucks.
>>
Go be a substitute teacher for one year. Then get back to us.

I refuse to teach brick and mortar in the US anymore. Fuck that jumping in front of a bullet shit. Fuck parents expecting me to parent, give therapy, teach, manage, etc their mongrels.
>>
>>16976497
In my whole years of being a student, I've never witnessed people mistreating a teacher that bad. Students and parents are usually really nice to them and sometimes during teacher's day or christmas students give them gifts. But anyways I don't live in America
>>
>>16976567
Key point--you don't live in America.

I remember cute kids and gifts at Christmas--from when I taught over 10 years ago. Nowadays--that's a bribe and shit.
>>
>>16976479
The problem isn't so much the job as the working conditions. When you can actually teach the kids, it's said to be one of the best jobs in the world. But between the administrative bullshit, the required time spent beyond contract hours, the severe constraints imposed by budgets and regulations, and the uttet lack of respect that the field gets (mostly due to misconceptions surrounding summer vacation), that time is shorter than you'd think and often stifled.
>>
I am thinking of being a high school art and music teacher. I could do philosophy, English, Dutch, history too.
>>
>>16976479
Teaching itself is immensely exciting and fulfilling. It's the crap that comes along with the job that is painful - loads of paperwork, having to meet constantly changing government poolicies, internal politics, parents who refuse to believe their kids are not brilliant.
>>
The pay is shit, the bureaucracy is just as oppressive upon faculty as it is upon students and there will always be a handful of parents who literally terrorize you.

It's an immensely noble profession when entrusted to the hands of intelligent and capable people, but everyone else involved--administration, parents, students--are neither of those things.
>>
The reason teaching gets such a bad rap, is because young people try to do it. In order to teach, you have to understand it yourself, and understanding comes from experience.
Don't go to school to become a teacher, you're going to fail and hate life, and blog about teaching sucks, and make it sound bad, when really it's you who failed.
Pursue a real career, and then if someday you can't do that anymore, then think about teaching. Having experience doing, makes you a better teacher. A fresh out of school teacher is likely to get knocked up by her students, and go to jail, because she lacks experience. More and more teachers go to prison every year for banging 14 year olds.
You're young and still in that frat party mode with your legs spread, it's gonna happen.
Wait til you're old and experienced to teach, after you settled down, and got a handle on your drinking problem.
Teaching is an old girl's club, and they don't like young people. They let you pay into the retirement fund for a few years, but they won't let you get vested. You won't make it ten years, so you can kiss that money goodbye.
You only get tenure if you have experience, real world. The old ladies keep all that retirement funds to themselves split 3 ways, they'll find a way to fire you long before you get close. They make the rules, and they have wrinkles, and saggy tits. You in your cute skirt just piss them off.
Get some business experience under your belt before you try and take them on. They are heavyweights, and you're an amateur, you don't stand a chance.
>>
>>16977023
I suppose it depends on where your from. My sister isnt a teacher but she works with kids that autistic and mentally retarded in school. She worked with many schools at the same time in a school year (now she just works at one school) and has told me how short handed they are. She says about 90% of the people working and teaching in our area are in their 30s or younger. Hell even the school my kid goes to i have only seen a few old teachers, the rest are my age.

I guess the old girls gang here are dying off or retiring.
>>
>>16977023
>The reason teaching gets such a bad rap, is because young people try to do it.
I'm in Romania right now, I can tell you that this is straight-up horseshit.
The older teachers are here, the worse they are, largely because they learned their trade in a backwards, brutal communist dictatorship. The ones that lived in it longer had more time to learn to abuse/terrorize/neglect their students, kiss the ass of those outranking them, and overall miserably fail to do the jobs they are entrusted by society to perform.

Then (in civilized countries as well) there's... exactly what you described.
Personally, in the US I haven't seen any correlation whatsoever between teaching skill and age, at any level (middle school, high school, undergrad, post-grad, etc)
>>
teachers are about to be replaced by computers so it's not a good career choice. computers aren't racist and hurtful to children because they don't like their color.
student runs the app and the computer just says hey you made a mistake, here's what you did wrong. study this and try again.
instead of a teacher saying you're stupid like your no good dad, why are you even in school
when you could be out selling drugs.
>>
>>16976965
>there will always be a handful of parents who literally terrorize you.

eh... by doing what?
>>
>>16976479
Depends on what teacher you want to be. University ones are the one that get paid good.

If your main interest about being a teacher is the money though then you'd be a shit awful teacher so please drop the idea.
>>
It's a female dominated occupation and with that come the illogical, emotionally driven, idiot policies that are part and parcel with feminism. If you are not a woman or some sort of pussy push over man, you will likely be seen as hostile, uncooperative, and not a 'team player'.
>>
>>16977739

That's definitely true in things like primary schools

I had some strict male teachers in secondary / senior school though, who definitely were not pushovers. The guys who taught things like maths and PE mainly I guess.
>>
>Surrounded by hot horny young things you'll never be free touch.

Yep, fantastic.
>>
>>16977482
Oh good lord. I can't begin. They are sure their Angel is being abused. They threaten you with stabbing for not giving a good grade to poor students. They call and visit to tell you what a shit job you're doing because they know by gut instinct what has taken you years to learn and process (all the while with your feet and hands tied by administrative bs).

I taught at a college in the ghetto for 2 years. Literally afraid for my life about one student who had numerous felonies and wanted a good grade for bad work.
>>
>>16976479
Which county are you from OP and what would you actually want to teach and at what age/grade level? These are important questions
>>
>>16977482
>there will always be a handful of parents who literally terrorize you.
>eh... by doing what?
My wife once had a student who threatened to blow up the White House. So they called in the men in black, as required by law. Only this time the MiBs actually found stuff, both on him and his family. Serious stuff. That's as much as she can legally tell me, but it sure made life interesting for a few weeks.

So, um, yeah. Usually parents won't LITERALLY terrorize you, but it has happened.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.