[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What even is flirting? What does it mean to come on to somebody?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1446138448024.jpg (155 KB, 850x682) Image search: [Google]
1446138448024.jpg
155 KB, 850x682
What even is flirting? What does it mean to come on to somebody? What really is the meaning of checking somebody out?

I got to thinking and I realized I don't really understand what these things mean. I'll be 21 soon and as far as I know I've not experienced or done these things yet.

I understand the concept of flirting but I've never seen it up close.
>>
Romantic movies are filled with flirting. Its just playful banter.
>>
I don't know how to flirt either. I can only remember one woman in the last two decades to even look like approaching me to talk. Relationships are a waste of time. If women won't approach me then I'm ugly so I won't approach women just to get rejected. Fuck this world!
Why even bother
>>
>>16975927
Calm down there bub
>>
>>16975906
Anyone?

There was one instance where my bud told me that our server was really coming on to me hard but I was just talking to her normally and didn't think anything was out of the ordinary.
>>
>>16975914
But me and my friends hit on each other for fun, and I know for sure they aren't actual flirting because they do the same to the other friends and talk about their crushs. So how can you tell when its real? I've been called for dates exactly three times in my life, and I just know I did because they were very direct from the start.
>>
A lot of flirting is just a mix of joking, teasing and compliments. If you're really good, add some physical contact in there.
I'm awful with flirting and can only really do it with a small percentage of girls who naturally have good chemistry with me, find me funny etc.
>>
>>16976692
>joking, teasing and compliments.
The last 2 seem simple enough, but what kind of jokes should I be telling? Like should I be making fun of other people or what?
>>
Unless one of you is being really, REALLY obvious, flirting is near indistinguishable from two people just being good friends.

I suppose one method of distinguishing is the degree of closeness comparative to the time you've known them.
If this is a person you've only known for a week or two and you're best buds, and they're looking for every opportunity to spend time/chat with you, we might be talking about flirting here.

It's hard to define due to the sheer variability, though. Some people will just crush hard and never even start a conversation, while others will literally pin you to a wall the first chance they get.
>>
>>16976739

Well, making fun of other people is generally a bad idea unless you're 16 - most adult women will take it to mean that you're an immature douche.

A bit of harmless teasing goes a long way. Obviously don't be a sperg and make fun of her weight or whatever, but tease a bit about mannerisms. It works out great if you do it right because it ends up communicating "and it's actually kind of cute" instead of "lol, that thing you do of stupid!"

There's a lot of subtlety and understanding of human body language that goes into it and sometimes it's just a matter of being with the right person that's simply compatible with you.
>>
>>16975927
You just said relationships are worthless. Realize the truth of your own words. Become a celibate Buddhist warrior-monk and see the Normie's driven before you!
>>
I don't know man, don't know how to show sexual attraction whatsoever

And do you guys check girls out regularly?
I mean I like to see a pretty girl ofcourse, but never in my life have I turned around to see her from behind when she passes me, thought if someone is looking I will look like a total creep. This might sound stupid but is it possible that I missed a lot of "turning arounds" of women to me, do women turn around when they pass a handsome guy?

I'm a mess
>>
I kinda don't know what flirting is because I feel like I do it with every girl I meet.

Is this bad?
>>
Flirting is essentially alluding to someone that you are interested in them, that you are attracted to them, and you want to fuck them.

Humans can do this in different ways. Things like teasing might not seem to be implying those things, but they are by showing you're paying attention to them, by giving them attention, by asserting power over them.

You can't really pin this stuff down to much because ultimately it's human interaction and we notice such tiny little things. When you walk through a crowd of people you'll probably blank out 95% of them. So the simple act of looking at someone -- and letting them see you look at them is a form of communication.

It's usually fairly obvious when someone is flirting with you because they're not acting like they don't give a fuck about you AKA how people normally act.

Coming on to someone is usually meant to mean pushing for something to happen. That is fishing for a date.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.