[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving to New York and trying standup comedy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 214x317
Hello I'm 20 and I want to try to move to New York and try stand up comedy. Is there anyway I can get housing and find a job to have while I try it out?
>>
Be really funny and you'll get paid
>>
>>16975678
Yeah if you can afford $1000 a month while you actively perform comedy and work 60 hours a week
>>
>>16975681
$1000 in New York will get you a fucking cardboard box.
>>
>>16975682
I meant in the Bronx or Brooklyn
>>
Currently I have 100,000 dollars in life insurance because my father passed away which is why I want to leave LA so bad.
>>
>>16975701
I hate you
>>
why can't you try to become a stand up comedian in LA?
>>
>>16975712
I still would rather my dad be alive. But that's just to be honest.
>>
>>16975717
Because I just want to get away for a while. I've always lived here and I wanna try something new. I feel like I need that.
>>
>>16975721
fair enough but be aware that you're basically gonna be the new york equivalent of all those kids who come to LA with dreams of becoming actors

atleast you have money though so you've something to fall back on when it inevitably fails
>>
>>16975731
Is it hard to find someone with that needs a roommate in New York?
>>
>>16975740
no, its a big city

the fact that you have money completely changes things, you can do whatever you want with that kind of cash
>>
Also what if I try mushrooms to help with my creativity.
>>
>>16975682

Not if you live with roommates
Not if you live above 110th st in Manhattan
Not if you live in literally any borough other than Manhattan

I've lived in New York for 7 years and the highest I've ever paid for rent was $900/month, and I've never lived in a shithole either
>>
>>16975744
I feel like I should have a job just so I don't blow through it to fast. Right now I work at yogurtland, where I only work about two days a week. Is there anything like that I can do easily off time?
>>
>>16975678
that is a stupid plan, start doing stand up in the nearest comedy club, hone your craft, then move to a bigger venue.

rinse repeat until you're headlining madison square garden
>>
>>16975684
that won't get you anywhere in brooklyn afaik but yeah, you could find a 2 bedroom apt in the bronx
>>
>>16975752
I'm from upstate ny could I come live in nyc if I wait tables and get a bunch of roommates in little mexico
>>
>>16975678
Every city and town in America has a comedy club. Try out in the minor leagues before you attempt to move into the majors.
>>
>>16975748
shrooma dont really make you more creative. you can hallucinate some neat shit visually but its really not even that great for artists. all they really do is take what youre feeling and make it more intense. though i guess if you did them in public (without getting in trouble) you might end up with a funny story you include in your routine or 'improvise' a bit
>>
>>16975701
Dude LA already has an established comedy club scene? Why leave? If you're willing to put in the work, and you're actually a funny guy, you can probably make it. You're probably young, which is perfect. I highly suggest you practice for a couple years at open mic clubs around town. You're going to bomb, and it's going to suck dick. But it's the only way to progress. Get to know people, network. Then decide if you really want to move to NY and pursue it for the rest of your life.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.