[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, can you redpill me on why worrying about minors is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: canstockphoto11130477[1].jpg (78 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
canstockphoto11130477[1].jpg
78 KB, 700x466
Hey /adv/, can you redpill me on why worrying about minors is a waste of time? I am going to be a 1st semester senior in the fall and I don't have any idea on a minor. I'm obsessively trying to find something I like and will help me get a job. I want to graduate on time so I'd have 2 (or 2 and a summer) semesters to do one. Main thing I'm leaning towards is business. I don't really care about it but it seems practical.

Last thing, I am a psych major so I'd want something to go with that.
>inb4 toilet-paper degree comments
>>
>>16973553
If you agree to stop using the word redpill on this board I'll explain to you why or why not you should care about your minor
>>
>>16973553
dont minor in business. even business majors are having trouble making it in the world. a business minor will be even worse off.

minor in computer science, math, or physics. that will get you a programming job.
>>
>>16974050
Fair enough. I just like it as slang for "explain to me", not the other connotations it's gotten.
>>
How important are minors? Not OP, I'm biochemistry, 1 more class for math minor and 1 more class for Chem minor. Already plan on math minor, is it worth the extra class for a Chem minor.
>>
>>16974086
You don't need a minor.

That's it. Unless you're trying for some very specific field with requirements they perfunctorily added on to annoy people.

No matter what major it is, you don't need a minor. It's your choice if you want the extra work
>>
>>16973553
You don't need to have a minor.
>>
>>16974061
The CSE minor at my school is pretty unforgiving length-wise (17 hrs and a 3 hr pre-req. course). Would a couple classes do anything?

>>16974107
>>16974461
I know I don't need one in the sense of it being a graduation requirement, but would anything help? I'm willing to put some extra work in as long as I can still finish on time.
>>
>>16974537
A couple classes will help but not really in the grand scheme of things.

You will be a terrible programmer if you don't get at least that minor (assuming that you don't do any programming in your own time. If you do do programming in your free time, post that online and it might be enough to land you an interview).
>>
Im glad I got loads of maths credits as they have given me enough hours to teach maths. I didn't minor in it, just have them. Many of the places I work require a masters with at least 18 credits in whatever subject. I guess you could consider those credits a minor...but I always felt people got minors when an advisor said, "oh, hey, one more class and we write more on the degree sheet."
>>
Unless your degree requires a minor or you are within a class or two of finishing one anyway, I wouldn't bother with a minor. With your extra time either take classes that just sound interesting or deliberately don't so you can work/socialize/study better for your major.

I don't know if this is nearly as true if you have grad school in your sights, but if you're heading out into the work force, you don't need a minor unless the job you're gunning for tells you that it's something you should get. And by and large, they don't.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.