[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My first job was in a supermarket, I worked in several departments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 2XTREME.gif (949 KB, 301x300) Image search: [Google]
2XTREME.gif
949 KB, 301x300
My first job was in a supermarket, I worked in several departments in my time there and it sucked but that's normal.
Then I got what I thought was my dream job in an office doing web development but I hate it just as much as the supermarket (partly because of the people I guess).

I'm scared that regardless of what job I take I will hate it.
It scares me more than anything else in the world because the thought of spending 8+ hours a day dealing with shit I just don't care about seems like the most miserable existence you can have.
It scares me that when I talk with other people about this they just shrug and say something along the lines of "everyone hates work, just focus on the paycheck".

I don't care about the pay and I'm not a lazy NEET who opposes the idea of working completely, I just want a job that's satisfying.
Unfortunately the only things I find satisfying are writing stories and jacking off which aren't exactly high demand fields at the moment.

I'm trying to get good at art so I can convey my stories/support myself with commissions but art careers aren't very stable so my hopes aren't high.

Any advice?

tl;dr: Hated past jobs, hate current job, scared that I'll hate every job I take. Hoping to support myself with art but that will take years, is there something I can do to find a suitable career?
>>
>>16968630
Greatest life advice i ever received:

Make a living to keep yourself afloat, Then do what satisfies you on the side.

Countless people have thought they could make a living doing artistic pursuits. And people are going to fly in here saying TONS OF PEOPLE MAKE A LIVING DOING ART AND PURSING THEIR PASSIONS! But the truth is most people work for a living and master their craft on the side THEN maybe they can pursue their art as a living.
>>
>>16968645
Thanks for the advice, I agree entirely.

Too many people fall for the "follow ur dreams man" mentality and forget that their bank account doesn't give a fuck about their dreams.
>>
If you pursue what you are passionate about as work, it loses the joy. I've experienced it and seen it.

Like the previous poster said, you work to live. Find something bearable, but realise that there are always negatives to work. I focus on the positives to make each job bearable. Shit job had some decent co-workers. Shit job now means I work online--I can wear pajamas if I want and I get to live anywhere. See-positives among the garbage.
>>
>>16968664
Hopefully my next job will be bearable.
>>
You can find jobs that have meaning. I gave up 50+ grand a year sales and distribution job I hated for a 40 a year job that helps people (emergency dispatcher). I don't regret it for a minute, but I did have to reexamine living within my means.

Here's the thing though. No matter what you do for a living, it's not all sunshine and roses. There are nights where I hear people die as I try to reassure them. No job is perfect. So figure out what you want but then approach it with realistic expectations.
>>
>>16968630
If somebody offers you a job that involves jacking off and writing stories, DON'T take it. Having to do anything you enjoy on demand instead of just when you feel like it sucks all the fun out of it.
>>
>>16968743
That sounds rough man, I've heard that people in your line of work usually end up on anti-depressives because of all the horrible stuff that they end up listening to over time.

Does the fact you're helping people give you more job satisfaction compared to your old job or is it the actual work environment?
>>
>>16968645
about to take a job working 25hours a week for 20k at my own hours groundskeeping a church

plan to spend all the rest of the time reading/art/writing.

if this doesn't work out, it'll probably be it for me

>>16968630
jobs are strange.
>>
>>16968714
Part of growing up, imo, is making it bearable. If your attitude is shitty, the job becomes worse. Sure, some jobs truly are awful fits for a particular personality, but in general we just let ourselves be down and grouchy about work.
>>
>>16968645
I agree with this but with the reservation that not everybody can do it, and not every job is going to be compatible with this. If you do this, it may mean that you turn down a lucrative but stressful job somewhere down the road.

I have seen people do it and it worked out fine. I know a guy who works as a cabbie and does art in his off hours, and has done for 20+ years. My experience was a bit different. It worked for me for a few years, but once I started getting promoted at work and the stress and exhaustion built up, I had less energy and motivation to work on art even though I had the same amount of free time and even though art is a stress reliever.

So I would say, if you do this, don't get a job that is super stressful or physically exhausting. Or get a seasonal job. Basically don't try to continually do more than your energy levels allow. You can optimise your energy with exercising, cooking healthy meals, and getting enough sleep, but all those things take up time too.

Also if you haven't already, learn everything you can about household finances and money management. Make the most out of each dollar and put some in savings every payday. That way a) you can still get by with a lower-paying job if you can't find a good-paying one that lets you pursue your interests on the side; and b) the more you save, the earlier you can retire and do what you want all the time.
>>
>>16968938
Thanks man, this is exactly the kind of advice I needed.
>>
I'm having a similar time, OP. I loved my last job: the environment and dress code were relaxed, I worked with great people I'm still good friends with and I always had a variety of interesting things to work on.

My current job, I don't have any privacy or control over the environment, the facilities are worse, I don't fit in with my normie coworkers and there's nothing for me to do. Most days I just sit around and shitpost on my phone, like I am now.

I think the people and the place impact how bearable the job is more than I expected. It's so refreshing to have even one friend you can shoot the shit with. Find the environment that's right for you, OP, and you'll find the work more bearable.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.