[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
...I am BUT WHY ISN'T IT WORKING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10
File: download.png (6 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6 KB, 201x251
Hello /adv/
>I am at a great university with a great study system (perfect for me)
>I study what I (practically) love
>Hard study programme but good support and tutors
>Worked REALLY hard to get where I am
>Don't have to work / never have money problems
>Live in a great studio apartment 10min from uni
>Have parents who fully support me and my decision
>Have many friends
>Know my faults and how to (theoretically) fix them (procrastination!)

BUT still don't perform well. Pass barely, always stressed out or gloomy. Procrastinate extremely, always tell myself that I have to change.
Cannot stick to schedules, but still always in library till 10pm.
Try to work through, but get don't get shit done. Still feel burnt out.
KNOW HOW TO FIX EVERYTHING, BUT DON'T DO IT.

Have to pass Stats or will get thrown out for good (cannot reapply in same country) - exam is in one week. Wouldn't know what to study or do otherwise (still cannot get my ass going).
>Sometimes think of suicide now
>Parents believe in me

I have the opportunities most people never get in a lifetime and I am fucking it up.
WHY CAN'T I GET MY SHIT TOGETHER, MY LIFE IS FUCKING PERFECT DAMN IT.
>>
What's your diet like?
>>
>>16968273
I try to eat healthy all the time.
>Oatmeal
>Fruit
>Cook myself (curry, rice, potatoes)

Tend to neglect food when stressed, like now
>>
>>16968232
bump
>>
>>16968294
eat more pasta and green vegetables
some nuts would do good for your brain
>>
>>16968232
sex life ?
>>
>doing everything right
>decent diet (>>16968618 is right about vegetables though)
>enjoy your field of study
>still stressed out, gloomy, can't get yourself to do what you need to

my first thoughts:
1-undiagnosed medical condition that is causing exhaustion
2-depression, anxiety disorder, etc - all of these get overdiagnosed so I would rule out other stuff first
3-burnout - you wouldn't think it could happen when someone's doing what they like, but if you're working harder than your energy level can keep up with, it'll happen eventually
4-any combination of 1-3

been to the doc for a checkup lately? if not, might be time to go.
>>
>>16968232
Sometimes, you just have to push yourself to gain some speed, I find that if I do that, I can go on for a while, but my drive dies if I am interrupted somehow.

I then get up and try again, however gruelling it is every time. It gets easier, but just a little.

Do not flee from the pain, embrace it and use it as fuel for your journey.

You shouldn't have that much trouble tho, if you really love the stuff.
>>
File: 1458257889313.jpg (443 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1458257889313.jpg
443 KB, 1920x1200
Thanks everyone.

>>16968691
>virgin and currently single

>>16968618
My diet is very vegetable heavy as well, so i hardly think that is the issue. also >>16968698

>>16968698
It is possible, but no doctor has picked up on anything yet. I had planned to go to the university psychologists, but due to the workload, have not yet found the time to.

>>16968701
This is what I thought.
>Just do it. Get into the groove
But I cannot keep the 'groove up'. When I have plans on how to improve, they tend to fall apart after a few weeks.
Also I thought that urgency and fear would get me going (usually they do). But not this time. My brain just kept on saying to calm down and everything is going to be alright (ie procrastination)
>>
>>16968232
Holy shit the humblebrag is out of control. Fuck off OP.
>>
>>16968232
You obviously don't love whst you do and are just fooling yourself.
>>
File: 1458842714080.jpg (674 KB, 2044x1072) Image search: [Google]
1458842714080.jpg
674 KB, 2044x1072
>>16969265
What I am studying is the only thing I wanted to do since I was 14 and I wouldn't know what to do otherwise with my life.
>>
>>16969325
Maybe that's what your stressed about. You don't like what you do and are stresse dthst you'd have nothing else.
>>
File: 1459022663356.jpg (467 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1459022663356.jpg
467 KB, 1920x1200
>>16969417
Well it genuinely is what I always wanted. A subject I could spend hours on in my free time reading about, reading papers etc since i was little.

I thought that this would be a booster for me.

But i feel that it should be easier than this. Not in terms of workload, but in terms of getting your act together and work persistently to reach your goals.
>>
>>16969488
People are only lazy and stressed when they're doing something they don't like. I've seen this time and tkme again throughout my life.

It could be that you like the subject from a distance. Maybe studying it formally is too much for you. That's how I was with college biology.
>>
Find a method to unwind. Join a yoga class do meditation. Stop putting so much pressure on yourself and things will definately sort themselvea out.
>>
File: tumblr_mvrgf4byKk1t0pdxwo1_1280.jpg (349 KB, 1280x865) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvrgf4byKk1t0pdxwo1_1280.jpg
349 KB, 1280x865
>>16969624
I understand what you are saying.

Yet it is not that I feel that i lost interest in the subject as a whole. I would not change it for anything in the world. And even before my studies I read scientific papers in this subject for fun.
And I still do.

But being told to read 300 pages of literature every week to keep up with what is asked of you is really difficult for me.
I cannot sustain my work ethic for a longer period of time, leading to procrastination and stress and a feeling of exhaustion (without having done anything meaningful).

I know that life is not perfect. I know that i order to reach your goals you also need to deal with things which are not always rosy.
But I always thought that if the overall goal is there, you can overcome everything.
I see people who are studying this on whim and performing better than me, someone who choose THIS STUDY programme, in THIS CITY over all the other possibilities I had.
And I am throwing it away.
>>
File: 1458838237097.jpg (429 KB, 1500x965) Image search: [Google]
1458838237097.jpg
429 KB, 1500x965
>>16969677
It is a viscous circle:
I did sports -> Couldn't keep up with studies -> Stopped sports -> Stressed -> Cannot keep up with studies -> Cannot do sports..

I know its all time management. I have learned it. I have gotten instructions on what to do.
But I cant sustain it.
A lack of maturity perhaps?
>>
>>16968232
best anti-procrastination study tip from my (over anxious) PHD sister:
Set a timer on 20 minutes. During your 20 minutes you study without any stops.

After this period is done, highfive yourself (seriously. just do it). You've succeded with something alot of people fail with.
Often times when you do this you find inspiration and continue study. If not, take a 5 minute break (NO SOCIAL MEDIA) and continue.
>>
>>16968232
Also, facebook/instagram gives your brain no break when you are studying, you are simply shifting your focus, wasting energy. If you want a break. Get some water. Stretch. Have a quick wank.
>>
File: 1458849714357.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1143) Image search: [Google]
1458849714357.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1143
>>16969712
I am aware of that. I often try to do this.
But often fall victim to
- lack of discipline
- not ending up finishing the assignment (not fast enough.

I know it is petty and stupid and an excuse but I seem to be that fucking incapable

>>16969716
I have very much noticed that. I usually go to get some water, end up meeting people talk for hours.
PETTY EXCUSES. NO SELF CONTROL.
PIECE OF SHIT
>>
>>16969743
you are procrastinating right now aren't you? set a timer and do it. WIll go to bed, report in tomorrow <3

Muh trueest tip of em all:
No matter how many explanations and truths you find in your head about stuff like this, 99% of them are useless and is a way for you anxiety to continue spinning. Just set a timer and do it.

PCe out my 4chan brotha
>>
File: 1458727452513.jpg (969 KB, 1894x1080) Image search: [Google]
1458727452513.jpg
969 KB, 1894x1080
>>16969751
Yes i am.
I have to pass Stats which is in one week.
Any tips?

Thanks for your help mate.
>>
>>16969685
I think you're missing my point.

Having a passion for something doesn't mean you'd like it as a career. I love psychology but I'll be damned before I study it formerly or become a counselor. Same with many other interest of mine.

When you're forced to do something you'll appreciate it less.
>>
File: 1458069771938.jpg (2 MB, 2048x1361) Image search: [Google]
1458069771938.jpg
2 MB, 2048x1361
>>16969909
I used to want to study theoretical physics, but after doing interns at physics labs, i just found it to be boring (and hard) as fuck.

Now I am a (neuro)psychology student, one of the supposedly easiest subjects in the gosh darn world and i cannot get past Stats I. And Stats is easy as shit, not even real math, I just have a crippling fear of math related stuff left over from some experiences in secondary school. Although I actually like math (in theory).
One cannot not keep on switching subjects just because one reaches some adversities. If that is what one really wants then one has to live with the consequences (what I have been thought by many people).
>>
>>16970139
There's adversity and then there's picking the path of most resistance. Don't be so hard on yourself because of stats. I studied math at uni and i saw most people struggle at probability and statistics because it's not intuitive at all.

Just be honest with yourself. If you're unhappy try exploring other options.
>>
Listen to this:

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/08/22/art-of-manliness-podcast-78-the-myth-of-following-your-passion/
>>
File: 1458838404445.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1122) Image search: [Google]
1458838404445.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1122
>>16970551
If I were to deliberately study theoretical mathematics - this would be choosing max adversity and minimal reward (for me). Psychology is not supposed to be a hard science (although many people at my uni are trying to convince us it is - neurofreaks).

Econ would be even worse. For me and I feel this should be the best way. I just have to get rid of this 'something' which is keeping me back.

Also z-tests, t-tests and ANOVAs are not hard. And I simply have to pass this next exam in one week as a prerequisite to continue my studies in this country.
>>
>>16971063
The something is unhappiness. If you're dead set on this path then you'll have to learn to accept the good with the bad.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.