[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /adv/ I need some advice about college and my career. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: topology.jpg (210 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
topology.jpg
210 KB, 1000x500
Hi /adv/ I need some advice about college and my career.

I'm a senior in college right now and I'm about to finish up my bachelors degrees in electrical engineering and math. I was originally committed to finishing a BS in Applied Math, but I'm taking a class right now (Real Analysis Part II) that's fucking my shit up and I'm going to have to drop it.

I could either graduate when I intended to with a BA in Applied Math or come back for an extra semester at my own personal expense for the BS. I don't think I'm going to go grad school for math (I love math and love the idea of research in math, but career wise I don't want to teach), so really the decision is more about personal goals for me. I really wanted to finish certain classes including Real Analysis.

Anyways, if I did decide to go the math grad school route later, would having a BA vs BS hurt me in any way? In general, is there any reason that a BA is valued less than a BS in terms of career prospects? And is it irresponsible of me to want to come back and complete the goals I made for myself even if it means racking up another ~25k in student loans? I'm confused and feeling kinda down that I couldn't finish what I started and very recently I've lost a lot of motivation and discipline. I think I might be feeling burned out.

Any advice?
>>
>>16966686
>I love math and love the idea of research in math
>Real Analysis Part II) that's fucking my shit up
nah man dont bother with this route or math grad school, just get your BA and get a job.
>>
>>16966720
What makes you say that anon? If you don't mind me asking
>>
There's nothing wrong with a double major. And quite frankly, college is more about learning to network and gaining those skills you need. The degree itself isn't as important. Most companies (unless you're in a very specific field) just look for an honest 4 year degree. But there is nothing wrong with a double major and would probably take you a year max to finish. Just a thought
>>
>>16966686
>would having a BA vs BS hurt me in any way?
No. At least as a programmer, I've never seen BA being undervalued more than a BS. What matters by that point is your career experience and what your accomplishments were in the real world

Don't be that guy that did a dual-major in Computer Science and Aerospace Engineering just to be an IT admin at United Airlines, you're more than your degree

If you really want a degree in EE (similar track along BS in AM?), then go for that. In fact, it will help you when you apply for a Master's program in EE or XYZ because you can say, "I did Applied Math undergrad, and I want to further my knowledge in EE/XYZ, plus I've taken some classes as undergrad to prepare, blah blah..."

Also, are you able to snag a job with an AM degree? You should be able to get a job as an actuary or something like that? That should be your top priority. If you're able to snag a job or internship, then go for it, no need to rack up debt

Lastly, I'd speak to your counselors, advisors, and your family/friends on this (obviously)
>>
>>16966731
Hey thanks, I am definitely going for the double major either way.

I guess my question is more about how to handle feeling like I'm not living up to the goals I set for myself.

I'll probably get the BA just because it doesn't make sense to pay out of pocket for another semester, but then I'm not getting exactly what I've worked so hard for and it kind of bothers me
>>
>>16966742
I guess I wasn't very clear. I'm getting a BSEE and a BS or BA Applied Math.

I am working on getting EE internships and have been talking to my counselors and family about this. I'm just struggling with my own stubbornness about this. Thanks for the tips tho
>>
>>16966760
A jack of all trades is a master of none
>>
>>16966729
mathematics is not gonna be a worthwhile pursuit if you have troubles with undergrad analysis. Just being honest. Sure if you persist you might get something out of it, but working in industry is likely the more efficient option. After having a stable career, consider math as a hobby.
>>
>>16966791
What's your background? Did you study math?
>>
>>16966805
Yes. Applied math. Non-Negative Matrix Factorization and Compressed Sensing was what I did in 4th year.
>>
>>16966729
>>16966686
>>16966760
What the fuck is 'college', i go to university in new zealand and i literally only ever hear amerislugs use the the term college
>>
Not OP, but I also need some college advice. I'm currently finishing my senior year of high school, and my college acceptances aren't turning out well. So I have two questions. First, how important are my undergraduate studies? And secondly, would it be worth it to take a pseudo gap year to do some stuff (humanitarian work, SAT boosting, early decision, etc.) and presumably raise my odds of acceptance?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.