[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/ I'm thinking about moving into a vehicle while
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1458702736657.jpg (15 KB, 333x347) Image search: [Google]
1458702736657.jpg
15 KB, 333x347
Hey /adv/

I'm thinking about moving into a vehicle while I finish school and save up for a house. I'm a male, currently 24 and living with mom and dad in Western WA. Anyone on here live in their vehicle? How is it? What cars/trucks/vans/suvs do you recommend? Currently drive a newer ford focus hatchback.

I have really come to loathe my current living arrangements and don't want to waste 6-800/mo on rent.
>>
>>16964540

1. Where are you going to shower.
2. Where are you going to shit.
3. Where are you going to eat.

If you can answer those questions, go for it. I can't.
>>
>>16964540
Military isn't for everybody, but you may want to consider that since they take care of everything for you

There are plenty of people on YouTube who share their experiences in the military, so you may want to check that out
>>
>>16964553
Thanks for the response, was thinking

1. Campus gym (included in tuition)
2. Campus/restaurant/retail shitters
3. Cook for self using backpacking stove

Have you lived in a vehicle before anon? My main concern is where to park at night.
>>
>>16964553
He could shower at truck stops or his parents. Shit anywhere with a public bathroom and eat anywhere, really. Still, I doubt OP has the stones to stick it out for long while knowing he has other options available to him. Anyone who's ever tried to sleep or have sex in a car and wasn't drunk knows it fucking sucks.
>>
>>16964559
I have looked into this, but I've smoked too much weed and experimented with other drugs to get in haha.
>>
>>16964568
Stones might be irrelevant at this point, money is tight and rent is high
>>
File: Dag5.jpg (2 MB, 1536x2018) Image search: [Google]
Dag5.jpg
2 MB, 1536x2018
I lived in a tent/truck for a bit. Going to be living in a tent again this summer. I'm a river guide and its he easiest/cheapest way.

Go for it especially of you have a place to shower and eat. Get a converter thing for your car, so you can plug in your phone or laptop or whatever.

Its pretty sweet. Hard to take girls home to a tent though. If you get lucky you can sleep with a girl who has a place and chill there sometimes
>>
>>16964586
It's hard to take girls home to my parents house, desu. How'd you get the guide job?
>>
>>16964565
>>16964568

It's not about "stones", it's about whether it's actually worth it. I have never lived out of a car. I have traveled and "lived" out of a car for a week or so at a time. I wasn't fun, but you do have a different situation with having the campus right there.

The only way I could imagine it is that you basically sleep in your car, and that's it.

>wake up before anyone is around
>eat breakfast
>brush teeth in bathroom
>go to class
>eat lunch
>classes
>take a shit
>gym
>shower
>sit in library and study on their connection
>go sleep
>get back problems within months

>where to park at night

Pay the overpriced-as-fuck campus garage price?
>>
>>16964616
>>16964586

The girl thing just isn't going to happen in 99% of all cases in the car scenario.

This is purely a "Welcome to shit life for 4 years" type plan. Don't mistake it for anything else OP.
>>
>>16964616
I started guiding in Maine. Took a swiftwater rescue course and the guy who ran that had a company, liked my attitude and hired me. I guide in NY now.

Just show up to a river company and say you're Interested, they'll train you and then you take a test. It's the best job I ever had
>>
Buy a cheapass van, then at least you can live somewhat comfortably.
>>
>>16964622

>where to park at night

That's my main concern. Campus parking is $50 per quarter (free in summer I think?), but idk if they allow overnight parking. I'm not worried about back problems, I will be adding a mattress.
>>
>>16964632
That sounds awesome. I didn't realize they had much of an /out/ scene in NY
>>
>>16964648
What like an econoline or a minivan? I'm leaning toward minivan or SUV for stealth purposes.
>>
>>16964653

I am pretty sure it's normally allowed (students that live on campus leave their cars there). However, generally the price is WAY more than that, so it might be an exception in you case.
>>
File: Dagdag.png (369 KB, 480x470) Image search: [Google]
Dagdag.png
369 KB, 480x470
>>16964653
Guide anon here.

Wal-mart parking lots are usually good to go. Also, forgot to mention a friend of mine is going to school and lived in his van this past semester, seems to be doing fine.
>>
>>16964540
A lot of places have anti-vagrancy statues that forbid sleeping in vehicles. These tend to be local laws, not state laws, so you'll have to check that out yourself.

There are also limitations on how long you can keep your car parked on a public street, so you'll probably want to move. Private parking lots, the owner can ask you to move (or may just call the police to tell you to move).

I had a friend who was living out of a mini van with the back seats removed. You're going to want to have your windows tinted so people (especially police) can't look in on you. I let my buddy park in my parking lot after hours, and since the location was discreet (behind the building) he never had a problem with the police. I'd characterize his experience as "not a whole lot of fun" but he saved money and got through it.
>>
>>16964674
I believe there is different parking for on campus housing than for students who live off campus and commute.

>>16964675
This is probably what I'll end up doing, there are like 3 walmarts fairly close by. What van does your friend use anon?
>>
>>16964758
This is why I want to be as stealthy as possible. Might even ask around on craigslist for driveway space I can rent cheap, or en exchange for chores or something.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.