[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is suicide ever a viable answer? Family relations finally broke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: mtwxth.gif (2 MB, 504x279) Image search: [Google]
mtwxth.gif
2 MB, 504x279
Is suicide ever a viable answer?
Family relations finally broke and so am i.
I'd talk to someone but I don't know who to ask.
>>
I would say no, unless you're already terminally ill and your illness is progressing and becoming worse.
>>
>>16961215
And for the record, I've attempted suicide; however, I still think it's a terrible idea.
>>
>>16961213

I don't know. The thing is, you will be dead soon enough anyway.
>>
>>16961213
>I don't wanna work
>my family is out of money
>better kill myself instead of ever trying to better my situation
>>
Not really. You only have the one life. There's no point to ending it when you could do anything else. You could move to a new state, never talk to anyone you met before, and it'd make more sense than suicide.
>>
>>16961213
No. First go to a cave and practice meditation for a year untill your mind is clear and undisturbed. Then see how you feel about suicide. Family just ties us to samsara. Why spend this life in a futile pursuit of sensual pleasures that cant be satisfied if you can become a buddha?
>>
Things can always get better. Really. Killing yourself is throwing away any chance of that ever happening.
>>
>>16961213
Find god you fuck.
>>
>>16961213
>Is suicide ever a viable answer?

Of course it is its a permanent solution to potentially permanent problems. If life getting better isnt a reasonable or viable outcome its perfectly legitimate to take your life.

Of course if you wish to live in great suffering just so some people wont turn their noses at you or get upset then so be it
>>
>>16961213
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_Zalongo

An interesting example where society looked at a mass suicide of womens - who also murdered their children to avoid loosing their autonomy to the Ottoman Empire - without any shame, scorn or accusations of selfishness.
>>
i have cyclecd over 40,000 miles in my lifetime, get a bike and go see the world........
>>
File: Page 50.jpg (3 MB, 2705x2545) Image search: [Google]
Page 50.jpg
3 MB, 2705x2545
>>16961377
I must strongly disagree. As a devout buddhist and proponent of reincarnation I believe it to be a temporary solution to a permanent problem. Also, how is it a '' permanent solution to permanent problems'' ? If you do not believe in reincarnation then it would be a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Since over time the problems will cease to exist along with the individual.
>>
>>16961213
NO, never is it worth it or a viable answer.

>people think people who kill themselves are pussies/cowards

Killing yourself doesn't make you a coward, it just means you're dumb.

Throwing away a life of free will, the ability to think, the ability to feel, learn and love. Why would you want to throw it all away?

>>16961353
Change "god" to purpose.

And if you're a nihilist, then by purpose I mean do something you actually like to do, their may be no purpose to anything, but fuck it, be selfish, enjoy life, have some fun, I guarantee you'll look back on life when you're older and wish you did more things besides moping around and be a sad bitch.
>>
>>16961434
Would you not agree that if one does not believe in reincarnation suicide would not be the best solution to the problem of suffering?

>If you do not believe in reincarnation then it would be a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Since over time the problems will cease to exist along with the individual.

Because it permanently ends the all suffering that can be felt by the body which as Buddhist you would know is an innate part of human life.
>>
Terminal brain cancer or hyper advanced MS where you are about to lose all control of your body and spiral towards your death

thats about it
>>
>>16961470
>Killing yourself doesn't make you a coward, it just means you're dumb.

Is suffering unnecessarily dumb?

>Throwing away a life of free will, the ability to think, the ability to feel, learn and love. Why would you want to throw it all away?

Have you considered that whilst for you these might be good things, for the OP or suicidal people these could be exactly the things that plague them?
>>
File: laroux.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
laroux.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>16961213

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f3bo_6gPDg
>>
>>16961213
Omg nothing lasts forever, not your life, not the broken family relations. Don't rush to death, really. Most things in life can be fixed, be glad you're alive and healthy. There are little kids and babies out there fighting cancer and sadly losing the battle. Be thankful for what you have.
>>
No, suicide is not a viable answer, especially for family relations. A time when it is is during combat and either sacrificing yourself for your team or ending it because the enemy will do much worse than kill you. If you're terminally ill then that would be a time for it as well. I've come to view death more as something to be achieved rather than something to be feared or seen as a means to an end. If you look at the ancient Spartans, some of the most fierce warriors ever to have existed, they all (especially their women) viewed death as an honorable thing; in today's terms it would have been like getting the medal of honor. I would also like to say that you are not tied to your family physically. You do have the option to break away from them regardless of any situation. I can understand if you can't because of age or monetary reasons, but there is no contract anywhere that says you are forever bound to your family. Keep that in mind. One more thing, don't be weak and kill yourself when there is so much you can offer the world, you could be fighting ISIS with the Kurds or just even join the military or be a first responder.
>>
Notice how all people have is insults and vague emotional appeals OP?
>>
When you're more afraid to live than you are to die, you know suicide is the answer.
>>
>>16961215
depression is an illness
>>
We will die anyway, so why shouldn't we give life the chance of being worth living? If there doesn't seem to be a chance of doing so, there would still be the possibility to travel to a place far away and trying a simple and experimental way of living. In addition, doing voluntary work and helping others can give you the feeling of being useful and needed.
>>
>>16961215
Life is a terminal illness
>>
>>16961213
>Is suicide ever a viable answer?
To what question?
>Family relations finally broke and so am i.
People are rarely permanently broken, considering the capabilities of modern medical science. You'd be surprised what doctors can fix nowadays. Give them a chance to do their jobs before you declare yourself broken.

After all, you wouldn't scrap a car before taking it to a mechanic, right?

>I'd talk to someone but I don't know who to ask.
You're talking to us, that's (a little) better than nothing.
>>
>>16961510
>Have you considered that whilst for you these might be good things, for the OP or suicidal people these could be exactly the things that plague them?
A lot of suicidal people think these are the things that plague them. They are mistaken at best, and outright deluded at worst. Every. Single. Time. They are the solutions to pain, not the causes of it.
>>
>>16961656
As someone currently dealing with depression: That's a retarded argument. The sorrow of one human does not diminish that of another. Everything is relative. Comparisons are meaningless.

At best, you could make an argument that some people are weaker than others, emotionally. But that is a weakness that is difficult, and sometimes impossible, to make up for. To blame a person for being weak is to imply further that they are unsuited for life.
>>
>>16963785
Had I not the capacity to think, I would not think of ending my life. I would not think of doing awful or stupid things just to give my life long-term meaning.
Had I not the capacity to feel... well. That one is obvious.
Had I not the capacity to learn, I would never come to realize the problems with the world.
And love? What good is love when it is one-sided? In my experience, people do not love those who do hate themselves.

One man's solution is another's problem. Tools can build, but they can break. To call them inherently good is flawed reasoning.
>>
You are free. Why is that scary? You can do whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>16963849
This relates to my perception. The story of life is always going to pan out different than from what you expected. There are so many different things going on the risk of finding yourself in bad positions is huge. However, the chance of finding yoirself in good positions is even more huge. I mean it, dig deep and find out who you are. Talk to people about it and reach out. A native elder once said that we all act as a support system for one another as a circle of people holding a spiderweb of yarn with balloons on it. You are a Balloon being supported and the person holding the yarn. Life is better when you have support. Just find what you love, painting, snowboarding, traveling, jiu jitsu, womem anything you desire all you need is a support system. People are out there willing to go out of their way to help you become the best you you wanna be. You're not your thoughts, you're not your feelings. These are parts associated with you but ultimately you have the choice to be!
>>
>>16961213
yes.
not in your case though, anyone living in modern society with so many possibilities to make a life worth living has no legit reason to kill themselves.
>>
>>16963921
I can no longer remember the last time I felt strongly about anything, negative emotions aside. I've considered so many ways to feel alive. Even escapism doesn't work particularly well any longer.
What I am is a failure as a human being, in all respects.
I am, however, not OP. Perhaps it's best if I don't cram my issues up in here and derail it.
>>
>>16961470

It's okay to be selfish. The Dalai Lama talks of a wise selfish. That in order to help others you must help yourself first. I feel like people are inherently good they just get caught up and in the cycle of helping others and make heavy agreements with themselves which result in either defeating themselves and focusing on others, or defeating others and focusing on themselves. Just focus on you for a while and look for the balance
>>
>>16961434
How do you deal with hemoroids?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.