[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can exercise alone lift your depression?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 1456524781615.jpg (25 KB, 312x244) Image search: [Google]
1456524781615.jpg
25 KB, 312x244
Can exercise alone lift your depression?
>>
supposedly. it's sad to be AS effective as ssri's. and they're pretty effective in my experience
>>
No.
>>
Depends what's the reason for your depression.
>>
No it can't. But I've found it can help put you in a better state of mind to enact positive change.
>>
yeah but how much exercise?
>>
File: andy.jpg (133 KB, 615x818) Image search: [Google]
andy.jpg
133 KB, 615x818
>>16960649
cant hurt
try meditation
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=107
>>
>>16960757
I did but it hasn't had a major life changing effect. Maybe it does but you need to meditate like 2 hours a day to change anything.
>>
>>16960649

if you mean real depression, go get therapy.

if you mean 'boo hoo im basically a teenage girl' depression, then exercise and healthy diet can help.
>>
>>16960649
Ive been depressed for some time now and ive been lifting for years
Its not a "cure" but it does help you keep the bad thoughts at bay and keep up apearances for the surrounding people
I suggest getting to the root of your depression and dealing with that
>>
>>16960785
>get therapy.

Yeah, just pay somebody for years to listen to you and pretend they care. You're much better off finding a friend who can understand you.
>>
>>16960799

therapy is a single objective voice that listens to your life, helps you pinpoint the real issues, and encourages you to tackle them directly.

it is just /adv/ except you are paying for ONE point of advice (which avoids confusion from conflicting sources) and indepth enough that you can actually focus on tackling your life with someone, as opposed to on your own.

if you are opposed to therapy, you should be opposed to /adv/
>>
>>16960811
>objective voice

There's no way that could happen. You're talking to a human not a sentient, omniscient AI.

>pinpoint the real issues, and encourages you to tackle them directly.

That's exactly what a good friend can provide you. Someone who listens to you and accepts you.
>>
>>16960649
Kind of. Natural endorphins + it's something that anybody can actually succeed at, so you'll have an accomplishment under your belt.
>>
>>16960825

except a friend has their own life to balance out and doesnt sit down and say 'lets fix your life'. they assume your life is as is and only tackles the problems coming on.

>OBJECTIVITY IS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE NO ROBOTS

if you werent a retard id try explaining that they have no attachment to you in your life that having you do one thing over the other would benefit them.

but obviously since there are no ROBOT AIs you cant be argued with. the word objectively simply shouldnt even exist until then
>>
It can, but it also can't.

Lifting depression is all about finding self-worth. But what people find in self-worth is all different from each other. That's why only the person themselves can cure their own depression. No one outside person can cure someone else's depression, they can only help the person stay on the road.

Anyways, if you're interested, try it out. You may find something deep within you didn't know about.
>>
>>16961055
Yes I will. But not now.
>>
In about 10% of patients, I believe, yes.
>>
>>16961064

Why not now? Unless you are at work, if you have the time to post on 4chan, you have enough time to exercise, even if it's just a little, such as a jog down the block, or a few sets of 30 push/sit ups in a 30 minute interval.

The thing about life is that dreams are hard to achieve, but if you contribute to your dream every day, even if it's a small amount, it gets easier. Why put off something that you can do today, tomorrow? The only thing stopping you, is you. If in the span of 4000 years, which is a drop down n the ocean called life, if people could go from drawings on a cave to flying in space, I'm sure you can better yourself.
>>
>>16961086
I am too drawn to my chinese cartoons and other shows. Literally cannot unstick my eyes away from the screen. Maybe I will find a way to do it eventually.
>>
>>16960649
The thing is, depression isn't really a condition, per se. It's a family of dozens of different conditions, many of which we have a lot of difficulty telling apart. Some of them, we don't even have names for.

Some of these conditions respond well to exercise. I seem to have one of these. About a year ago, I had rented a truck for a couple of hours to empty my storage unit. I'd enlisted a bunch of friends to show up. So there I was, having to empty a second-floor storage unit full of heavy boxes, with a broken elevator and no help, in 90-degree weather and two hours to do it.

And I did it. If I hadn't brought water for five people, I might have died, but I fucking DID IT. I felt like a Greek god for days, and even just thinking about it still gives me a limited pick-me-up. I also made myself sick, so I couldn't stay in the groove and it wore off, but it did help. Now, if only I could motivate myself to do it again.
>>
>>16961481
...aaaaand I forgot to mention how all my friends bailed on me at the last minute. The story loses a lot of its punch without that detail.
>>
>>16960649
Not 100%, but it can do a fucking ton to help. When I was doing 4-5 miles a day, I felt 70% better. Seriously.
>>
I dont really know if exercize alone can cure depression, but it sure as fuck help, and it helps alot, other thing that works for ne is working/studying/doing homework/etc. When you are busy working 24/7 and dont have time fir anything else, you dont even think about things like depression, thats what got me through my last semester, I also ended up with a 98/100 average sonI highly recommend it.
>>
/fit/ here

nope :(
>>
It can certainly help a great deal. It can also help change your mindset, get you out the house, make you look better and be social. Plus lots more.

When I was fit it was the happiest time of my life, now I'm a food addict
>>
>>16960649
It can temporarily.
I mean socially, it can make a difference.
I started lifting moderately a few years back and I get comments here and there on how fit I am.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.