[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not racist personally, yet I can't stop myself
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
I'm not racist personally, yet I can't stop myself from judging every person I meet almost immediately by it. I don't remember how it's developed, but now whenever I'm in a public area and I have nothing in particular to think about, my mind automatically switches to making assumptions based on race. I've stopped going to places like /pol/ or /int/ which would reinforce those thoughts, but these have stuck around and are very difficult to shake off.

Any advice on how to get rid of this? Is it a meditation-type thing?

I've never really heard of this problem come up for a lot of people, so if you're having trouble envisioning it, it's sort of similar to playing The Game.
>>
Youll lose very little by sticking to your own race especially if youre white
>>
File: tumblr_mzmbol5nDK1rpr2cjo1_500.gif (1000 KB, 500x353) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzmbol5nDK1rpr2cjo1_500.gif
1000 KB, 500x353
>>16955148
>The Game.
>>
>>16955172
In what, dating? I live in the South, every place is incredibly diverse. It's not as if I could pick and choose between homogeneous communities. It's sort of fucking with my mind wherever I go.

>>16955177
It was unintentional, lol.
>>
>>16955188
Not that guy but I live in the south too bub. My city is practically half black but I can pretty much get away from niggers entirely if I go deeper into Appalachia and actual mountain land instead of foothills. All about where you are and where you go.
>>
>>16955148
Racism is rational and normal. Just give people a chance to break your assumptions. You don't have to stop making them. Just because some apples are green doesn't mean most aren't red/orange.
>>
>>16955172
>>16955352
You're not helping at all.
>>
>>16955361
You're asking to be taught to be stupider than you are. It's not going to work.
>>
>>16955372
Having racial prejudices equals being stupid? I prefer ignorant but agree with the thought. I'm not OP.
>>
>>16955381
No, ignoring patterns equals being stupid.
>>
You're sticking too heavilly to negative stereotypes. This is what /pol/ does, it enphasizes stereotypes for comedic value, when you start taking them too seriously you fall down a slipperly slope.

Does what /pol/ say have some truth to it? Sure. But the matter of the fact is that they're really only making fun of a small amount of people within a larger population. To break free of a shitty mental image of a particular race it's usually best to meet with and talk to people of other nationalities, travel, and consume media that gives an honest account of these other peoples' lives and mentalities. The thing about stereotypes is that they always have truth to them, but every individual will often only possess a short list of these traits set out by the stereotype. It is very rare when you meet someone that fits fully into the stereotype for their particular race/group/nationality.
>>
>>16955386
Something seen on TV does not equal a pattern.
>>
>>16955399
How about every day in real life? Prejudice is just learning what to commonly expect from your environment.
>>
>>16955148
Everyone judges the people they meet. They do so based on the available information. For strangers that's very little and ammounts to things like race, dress, attitude, and so on.
>>
>>16955401
Your environment isn't the only environment, do you actually converse with the people you're prejudiced against or do you just judge from afar? Neither means the entire people group is like that.
>>
>>16955428
I talk to them every day. Fuck Indians. I live near Intel. Sure, one in ten is alright but the other nine are just terrible.
>>
>>16955437
That's also not how prejudice works. Prejudice is a guilty until proven innocent attitude. Saves time, is efficient.
>>
>>16955352
How would that help, though? That's literally running away from a problem.

>>16955357
I know this is true, I just have a very hard time with it because I don't have friends in general and so find it hard to be sure about anyone that I can't speak for personally. I think this is the secret that most /pol/acks won't tell you, actually.

>>16955397
I know what you mean. The upsetting part is that even though, for example, I listen to a lot of black musicians, have enjoyed poetry and some literature by black authors, and consider myself liberal by America standards in relation to other races, the image of the thuggish black person still exists heavily in my mind and is constantly reinforced whenever I go out.

>>16955404
Plus it's largely a mental hang-up. My mind has become so accustomed to it that I switch to it automatically when I'm out and then reprimand myself after thinking those thoughts. I hate viewing the world through a racial lens.
>>
/pol/ needs to fuck off out of here. I am so sick of the way you faggots poison impressionable peoples' minds. There are good black people and bad ones, just like any other race. Do you fucks think your white trash southerners are any better? I think not.
>>
>>16955148
>I'm not racist
>I judge everyone by their race

Work that one out if you can.
>>
>>16955798
The two are different. I don't believe that any race is genetically superior to another, or look down on anyone for the color of their skin. That hasn't stopped my mind from becoming fixated on spotting stereotypes whenever possible. Granted, my decision that racism didn't make sense was relatively recent, so this is an annoying habit that I don't think is justified and I mean to quit.
>>
File: 1458636297574.jpg (164 KB, 600x652) Image search: [Google]
1458636297574.jpg
164 KB, 600x652
>>16955397
>its very rare that you meet people that fit exactly into the stereotypes

except when you meet black people in US. 90% act the same way, speak ebonics, eat the same unhealthy diabeetus foods, commit crimes, are significantly disproportionately obese, listen to the same music, watch tyler perry, and are by far the most religisiously amalgated and are the most racially insensitive towards people of other cultures/ethnicities, and whine the most about percieved racial injustices while living in the only country that treats them the best and where they have the best opportunity's to succeed.
>>
>>16955845
>It's true because I said so
>>
>>16955852
no its true because its true, I'm just the only one saying it here, but the statistics are out there and my personal experiences only continue to substantiate them.

yet I'm the bad guy because I won't be complicent in your idealized denial of reality, right?
>>
File: 1440267180-0.png (79 KB, 491x571) Image search: [Google]
1440267180-0.png
79 KB, 491x571
>>16955764
>>
>>16955148
The best way is to never assume anything of anybody. Just blank your fucking mind. Stop going on 4chan altogether and you'll realize how fucking indoctrinated you've been. I stopped going here for about 2 months and when I come back and see "the SJWs are ruining video games to further the feminist reptillian illuminati agenda of killing all white people" I can't help but wonder what stupid shit I've posted before. I can barely fucking stand to be on this site anymore, I only go for small general threads on /vg/ that are still often plagued with /pol/ tier content.

Here are things I've learned and found helpful.

>Stop going on 4chan altogether
>Assuming the worst of people isn't healthy
>Listen to other people's points of view on issues without having to interject with your own or playing Devil's Advocate
>Speak to anybody you can, learning about individuals and their struggles/lives can help squelch the racist stereotyping thoughts
>Even going on a site that has rules like Reddit can put things in perspective, i.e seeing how fucking stupid a post like "JEWS CREATED NIGGERS TO DILUTE OUR GENEPOOLS" is compared to the troves of other people discussing things and how normal people see them

Good luck.
>>
>>16955764
Boo hoo 2/5 blacks are good! You shouldn't be weary!

Go to Baltimore and tell me that.
>>
>>16955882
Lol, that's not how it works. It works by me having to deal with obvious theives and counterfeiters on a daily basis attempting to return stolen leather jackets or get change for washed "$100" bills. Nothing makes you racist faster than actually dealing with the public.
>>
>>16956320
>poor urban areas have crime
OH WOW ANON YOU'RE SO SMART, OF COURSE IT WAS THE NIGGERS ALL ALONG AMIRITE
>>
>>16956354
He lives in the south. Which one do you think he lives in, captain white neighborhood?
>>
>>16955882
I have stopped going to the boards known for their racism, but it's only been a week or two since I've actually been there. I'm not sure if it's that or if I surround myself with too much political content centered around race to where I can't think outside of it. I would like to think that the non-political boards here are free of that, but even on /mu/ I've seen a lot of people spew retardation about Trump. This thread is also pretty good evidence of that.
>>
>>16957065
>denying reality
>smart

You're like one of those people who wish they could believe in Christianity but can't because deep down they know it's stupid.
>>
>>16957211
I'd like to hear your intelligent and well-informed stance on why racist is justified.
>>
>>16957218
Because it keeps you alive. I'm sure you are politically correct enough to walk around Harlem at night and be fine though.
>>
>>16957240
No shit walking around a poor urban slum is dangerous. That's not based on race, I'd like to see you spend a night in Omsk, Russia, and live to tell the tale.
>>
You should adopt an attitude that consists of just trying to see the best in people

But I'm pretty sure you're more bothered by culture than race if anything.
>>
>>16957248
The last part is true. It's not a serious belief, but an automatic reaction to some people which is linked to racist thoughts.
>>
>>16957246
compare like for like

detroit vs some appalachian town
>>
>>16957246
So black people are dangerous in a US slum, white people are dangerous in a Russian slum.

Thanks for playing.
>>
>>16957271
It's not like for like when blacks have never been treated the same as whites. /pol/ has a knack for completely ignoring history when talking about higher crime rates among minorities.
>>
>>16957274
What's the issue? It proves that white people aren't "above" acting like thugs or whatever stereotype you point out in poor blacks.
>>
>>16955860
>but the statistics are out
Post them then. /pol/lacks are always saying this but whenever confronted they always go "lol you gotta look for them ur self XD" or post sources from an obviously bias site using derogatory racial slurs within their own articles. I want some actual hard proof, mostly because I'm tired of /pol/lacks spamming their agenda everywhere, even on old imageboards separated from 4chan.
>>
Actually, by definition, you are racist. But it's good that you're trying to change your ways of thinking instead of spewing white superiority to make you feel better about yourself like the rest of these guys.
>>
>>16957311
Why yes, let me just dig for statistics on my phone on my break at work, that uses language you personally don't find offensive.

>obvious bias

Yes, anyone who asks a taboo question is automatically biased, I know how this works. You sure set your standards up to perfectly reject any evidence against your beliefs for reasons other than evidence.
>>
>>16955882
>Stop going on 4chan altogether and you'll realize how fucking indoctrinated you've been.
This. What's sad is that this propaganda-like bullshit has only spread within the past two years, and it's spread like wildfire because of mismanagement and lack of communication within the mod team, leading people to believe this stupid ideology /pol/ presents because it coincides with what is happening "now" (IE mods fucking up by going crazy with goobergate removal, shitposting and off topic political threads slipping through and not being removed, and the users themselves buying into this bullshit because of our crazy left wing society). I pray for the day when I can actually discuss anime or video games on this site and not have to deal with extreme right winged political bullshit. 4chan was more fun when it was just a bunch of dumb NEETs posting anime memes and discussing obscure video games.
>>
>>16957349
Maybe you can stay on reddit then ;)

4chan is not your safespace
>>
>>16957356
You having no rebuttal at all proves him right. I really don't see how there are so many of you retards when every stormfront talking point is debunked within 3 responses or less.
>>
>>16957345
>hurr durr I can't post any because I'm at work but YOU'RE OFFENDED
Nice deflection. Also I'm sure most articles don't have to say "nigger filth" when discussing statistics. But go ahead, post some statistics, I'll take any. But judging by your preference for browsing 4chan instead of doing work at your job like a hard working employee, I'm sure asking for even one article is too much of an hassle for you.
>>
>>16957356
4chan shouldn't be your safe space either, faggot. You sure love to shut down anyone who has a different opinion than you.
>>
File: Sweaty Sharon 1.jpg (40 KB, 360x384) Image search: [Google]
Sweaty Sharon 1.jpg
40 KB, 360x384
>>16957366
Trump really has you Jews rattled doesn't he

>tfw the gas chambers will come back in your generation

What a time to be alive
>>
>>16957276
why dont american japanese have a high crime rate? (they have one of the lowest)
>>
>>16957423
While there has been racism in the past towards Asian-Americans, it was on a MUCH smaller scale from African-Americans. The worst they got was The Chinese Exclusion Act, Alien Land Law, internment of Japanese in WWII, and common stereotypes. Compare that to the slavery, mass murder in targeted killings, rape epidemic, systematic discrimination, etc.. put on blacks,and it's not even close.
>>
File: 1438981988384.png (400 KB, 450x720) Image search: [Google]
1438981988384.png
400 KB, 450x720
>>16955148
My philosophy is that it's perfectly fine to judge the "group," but not respectful to judge the "individual"

Meaning that judging a whole group of people by their collective actions and stereotyping them in typical life is perfectly fine, but if you meet just one person from the group, let's say as a customer, a work acquaintance, or a fellow student, then you should treat them with respect and with a clean slate as long as they aren't too stereotypical.

So if you walk down the street and a group of one race are walking down, it's ok to avoid them or think whatever, but if an individual of said race approaches you for directions or shows up for work, you treat them normally.
>>
>>16957444
> rape epidemic

LOL

so youre saying that blacks have high crime rates because they were historically treated badly. however, japanese were also treated badly, disputably to a lesser extent, so therefore they should also have a higher crime rate than the norm, just not as much as blacks (in line with the relative poor treatment by ebil whitey). this is not the case. why?
>>
>>16957464
Way to expose yourself as completely uninformed. Female slaves were raped all the time, and even after slavery ended black women were raped all the time because no one would prosecute the white guys doing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treatment_of_slaves_in_the_United_States#Sexual_relations_and_rape

Also did you not read what I wrote above? Black people were fucking hunted and murdered like dogs for basically no reason not even 100 years ago. If you want to talk about how Asian culture is superior, how about the fact that, besides music, every bit of culture in the slaves taken over was erased, so they had to basically start from scratch? Compare this to Asians, who immigrated freely and without having to give up any of their beliefs or customs.
>>
>>16957488
> every bit of culture in the slaves taken over was erased
ironically enough of which included slavery LOL

ok so now youre saying that blacks were culturally integrated into western society by erasing what was and slotting them in. so why is that members of a different foreign culture that integrate in less cleanly (legacy and conflicting cultures) have a lower crime rate than those who have been a part of it for 250 years or so?

asian culture is garbage btw
>>
>>16957518
>ironically enough of which included slavery LOL
Do you even know what I said? Slavery destroyed any bit of culture in the slaves save for music which is part of why they have such a high crime rate. Black people didn't integrate at all because any attempt for them to be successful and like the whites was actively prevented. In the South if you voted they hanged you.
>>
File: uncle tom.jpg (26 KB, 240x336) Image search: [Google]
uncle tom.jpg
26 KB, 240x336
>>16957538
> any attempt for them to be successful and like the whites was actively prevented

?

do you still think this is the 1920s?

at least youre (sort of) admitting 'black' culture is a problem
>>
>>16957556
Is English your first language? I used the past tense there.
>>
>>16957558
exactly. WAS. PAST tense

chinks came in the 50s at the bottom, and they climbed their way up. meanwhile blacks have mostly idled and even decayed further from pre ww2 standards (literacy, stable households, welfare abuse etc.). theres been plenty of time, and limpdick coalberners like you making excuses for them doesnt help at all, it just makes you feel better for fighting the good fight against ebil whitey
>>
>>16957571
>chinks came in the 50s at the bottom
Shows how much you know about US history

>blacks have mostly idled and even decayed further from pre ww2 standards
Citations? Poverty rates have fallen greatly since the 50s, especially for black people.

I'm done responding. I hope you're underage, because your reading comprehension and knowledge of history is fucking awful.
>>
>>16957579
yeah you run away, youve been found wanting
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.