[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me a degree that i worth going to college for?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: 1454911823477.jpg (18 KB, 313x210) Image search: [Google]
1454911823477.jpg
18 KB, 313x210
Tell me a degree that i worth going to college for?
>>
>>16943912
English
>>
Depends.. Would you get a loan or do you live in a country where education is free?
>>
>>16943912

Probably any degree if you're not going to join a trade or go to vocational school. Lesser degrees are stuff like music, language, gender studies, archaeology, unless you want to continue working in academia, which isn't a bad goal if that's what you want.

But really, it's all in what you do with it. Getting a degree is a prerequisite to just getting your foot in the door in most cases, though.
>>
Liberal Arts if you want to be a prof or go to law school

Engineering if you like math and like legos

Bio/chem/physics if you want to be a prof, like science, or want to go to medical school

Business if you want to work in corporateville, start a business, or get an MBA

Finance if you want to rule the world and/or you like math but hated Legos

Journalism if you want to be sued by Hulk Hogan
>>
software engineering is fun as shit
>>
You guys do realize the placement rate for PhD 's in academia for liberal arts right? I really wouldn't suggest that
>>
>>16943960
What if I hate math, but like legos?
>>
Honestly, any degree that's your passion.
>>
>>16944244
Comp Sci. Solve problems with coding but little to no math required.
>>
>>16944260
Even if I barely passed algebra 2 in highschool?!
>>
>>16944260
could always get a business degree. Some people really have a knack for it.

Comp Sci majors usually need to through calc 1 or 2.
>>
>>16944267
>>16944293
Sorry, I shouldn't be responding to myself.
>>
>>16944295
So you're saying business would be a better option?
>>
>>16944260
>>16944260
CS has way more math than Engineering.
To do well in a decent CS program you need good mastery of discrete math
>number theory, logic, set theory, graph theory, combinatorics, probability and algebra

To do well in a decent Engineering program you need
>calculus I+II lmao + linear algebra I+II + a bit differential equations

and all at a very surface level. (i.e calculations and formulas), no worry about theorems and proofs

What you are thinking about is computer engineering, CE, which is often merged into engineering school anyway, and they became ECE. CS is much more math heavy.
>>
I'm doing Information Systems for sysadmin/devops/netadmin type stuff.
>>
>>16944324
I dunno. All of my CSI friends in undergrad were dumb as shit with math.

My degree for ECE required a minor in math.

But yeah CE is very low math. If they made you take any I would argue against it. If you can do 2^n you're good.
>>
>Tell me a degree that i worth going to college for?
Tell me how much money you got.
>>
>>16944374
>All of my CSI friends in undergrad were dumb as shit with math.
I'm just talking about the syllabus of a decent CS program here. Your school probably doesn't have a strong CS program so if everyone enrolled in it is bad at math some of them would still get As, what you are saying could still be true.
I'm an applied math + EE major but I had to study discrete math for my DSP project and I saw stuffs that hardly matter in engineering like finite field or generating functions became very prominent.
>>
Currently a month into my Computer Science degree, first year. The course seems sort of interesting but I'm just not enjoying University as a whole to be honest. I went straight from high school into University without any sort of big break where I just work and I kind of feel like I fucked myself.

Is it bad for me if I just dropped University, worked some casual job for a year and just looked for something that truly captures my interest? Maybe learn a language, travel a bit, meet some new people; who knows, along the way I could get a job opportunity that I think is perfectly and not even have to go back.

I know the obvious answer is "just tough it out for three years and then do all of that." But when your whole life has been study I just want a break from all that to figure out what I truly want to do, not what everyone else wants me to do.

Plus it seems I could self teach myself how to program, maybe get good and do some free-lance web development of some sort, gain some experience that way and then because I 'took the initiative' and 'did something on my own' I think I'd be a lot more valuable to an employer than someone who has a piece of paper that says "Hey I paid some money and passed all my classes."

Any thoughts? Any non-University graduates here living a life they love? Any University graduates getting employment and finding out there was a less intense way of getting there that doesn't involve University?

Telling my parent(s) I want to drop out of University is going to fucking ruin them, argh.
>>
>>16944258
Do they have degrees in masturbating and video games?
>>
Anything STEM really if you can sit on a computer for 8 hours a day.

Bio degrees suck if you don't care for teaching or medical school. If you want to be a doctor then be my guest.
>>
>>16944483
Also certs can be a god-send. My whole career is riding on the fact that I took one easy semi-related class in my whole degree, did well, and got a certificate out of it.
>>
>>16944486
certs are the most confusing fucking credential there is. not to bash just ranting.
>>
>>16944491
Maybe if you're in IT or something which is what I thought I was getting into after I started realizing how worthless my degree was with my GPA.

My field has like one major cert for desktop users and one for developers. The rest are all fluff.
>>
>>16944498
in my field there are so many certifications. it's not it but manufacturing/inspection.

API(american petroleum institute) alone gives out no lest than a dozen last i checked and there's several more organizations each with their own thing.

then you have CERTIFICATES and not certifications which you can get from local colleges to add into the mix which while sound nice are nothing but fluff IMO.
>>
>>16944511
I believe it.

Anything inspection related sounds like it'd have plenty of certificates and bureaucracy to go around.
>>
>>16944461
Bumpi9ng for advice pls
>>
Wimmin's studies
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.