[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to replace the ancient PC I inherited from my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Keith-Moon-006.jpg (30 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Keith-Moon-006.jpg
30 KB, 460x276
I'm looking to replace the ancient PC I inherited from my family, but I've never actually gotten one myself, and I don't know exactly what I should do.

I'd like a machine capable of running games acceptably, but primarily dedicated to animation/music/video editing software, and I'd like to possibly look into some basic programming.

Of course, I'd prefer not to break the bank, but I have no idea what sort of money I'm looking at here.
>>
dude you basically have no idea of anything. smdh senpai.

honestly though start of with a dual core(i3 should be enough), go with whatever midrange thing nvidea or amd have shat out in the past year and just stick with a couple 1tb hdd's, 1 for main drive 1 for backup. spend the rest on a good monitor.

assuming you don't reuse anything and you live in the US of A expect to blow 5-700 dollars.
>>
>>16939966
Video editing is gonna be the killer. You're gonna want several metric fucktons of RAM for that. Acceptable gaming can be achieved by buying the cheapest new pc in the shop and sticking a fairly cheap graphics card and half-decent CPU in it. The rest, any old shit will do just fine.
>>
>>16939985
>dual core
I wouldn't go with anything less than quad core
>>
>>16939985
>>16940012
How much of my current PC can be reused?

If I were to simply install a new CPU, more RAM, and a newer video card, would it be worth the money saved?
>>
>>16940012
depends on the video editing in question. if he's only doing it as sort of a hobby then there's no need to spend so much for hardware.

>>16940019
what you need is to shut the fuck up, laptop peasant.

>>16940044
depends on the age, the ram type etc. it could be worth it but i'd need to know what exactly you have in there. if it's a prebuilt the size factor may hinder some additions like extra hard drives, larger gpu's and aftermarket cooling.
>>
>>16940064
It's a 6-7 year old HP Pavilion, though my parents had it refurbished about 4 years ago when I got it, so I don't know what's stock.
>>
>>16940064
>laptop peasant
Wtf does laptop vs desktop have to do with quad vs dual core you gibbering imbecile?
>>
>>16940082
because you fucking moron he doesn't want to break the bank and you go off saying MUH QUAD CORE without reading his question. at that point let's reccommend SSD's too fuck it why not.

kill yourself. go back to your /g/ shithole with your shit memes.

>>16940081
get something like speccy to see what you have. then start building something on newegg. it's really all dependant on what you have. there is a website called pcpartpicker, check out the builds on there and see if you can find/modify something from there.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.