[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I succeed in my universitiy's introductory geology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3888x2592
How do I succeed in my universitiy's introductory geology course? I'm finding it to be incredibly difficult and I have a little under two months to get from a D-/F to a C or above.

Factors involved:

>sophomore, no roommate
>Have ADD and hypoglycemia; don't have brainpower to focus on hard subjects for longer than an hour
>Have class three times a week, plus labs once a week
>Miss no labs, but miss 25% of lectures because of anxiety
>class notes suck because of absences and inability to determine what topics are important
>Don't know what the most effective studying method is
>Don't have any classmates to form study groups with
>Afraid to ask professor for help because I'm intimidated
>Study 3 hours per week for this class, recently increased to 6 hours per week
>Starting to not want to try because I just don't think that I'm smart enough

I'm tossing some ideas around, but I really think that I need input on this situation.
>>
>>16935751
Do your meds not help?
I have ADD and I'm literally incapable of focusing on subjects that don't appeal to me without adderall
>>
>>16935759
My meds do help, but I just seem to develop tolerance to them after a year or so. My doctor isn't willing to increase my dose of Concerta, so I'm sort of stuck with this.
>>
>>16935751
I don't know what to tell you, OP. Geology was the course that anyone that couldn't handle biology or chemistry would take to get their science credits. You probably just need to join a study group and possibly repeat the course. 6 hours a week is pretty skimpy. Up it to 10.
>>
>>16935763
Yep, I really need to do better. Hopefully I'll train myself into doing 10 + hours by the end of the month.
>>
>>16935762
Well concerta is a horrible drug and never helped me or anyone I know. All add meds can have pretty shit side effects but I would ask your doctor about vyvanse, or adderall if necessary.
>>
>>16935783
It might help if you break up some of your extra studying. Run through flashcards at the end of your other classes, and when you wake up and before bed. You don't have to sit down and study for 2 hours straight every time.
>>
>>16935751
Seriously, if you can't pass intro geology with your eyes closed, then you should just quit school.
>>
>>16935854
So what you're saying is that I may have better luck if I study for multiple 30 minute chunks per day instead of trying to do that shit for an extended period of time?
>>
>Failing an introductory course
Time to start applying yourself, kiddo.
>>
>>16935839

That's a bit problematic, though. I'm really on the borderline of having ADD and Concerta (or any other methylphenidate formulation) is the only thing that my doctor is comfortable with giving me. Besides, I've heard a lot of people mention that they had more side effects on amphetamines than they did on methylphenidate.

Still, I suppose I could see if my doctor would give me Adderall for the rest of the semester...
>>
>>16935871

Heh, I can't argue with that. I guess that I just need to know where to start. Should I spend more time on rereading my textbook or should I start quizzing myself on textbook materials?
>>
>>16935869
Maybe, maybe not. Look for help groups online for study techniques that work best with your disabilities.
>>
Work hard, have a diamond resolution, dig into your books, sift through your notes, pick at the informative gems, and keep on grinding.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.