[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How watered down is the industry ? I want to be a game designer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: going clubbing.gif (2 MB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
going clubbing.gif
2 MB, 540x405
How watered down is the industry ? I want to be a game designer and I'm somewhat fresh out of High School. I like coding, but the networking side of computer science pisses me off. Is it worth it to get a "Game Design" degree ?
>>
You're either going to be an indie developer barely scraping by or you'll be a cog in the machinery for a huge company. Granted, there are some in-between at medium sizes but why would they hire you?
>>
>>16928003
I don't care if I'm a cog. As long as I can do the work it's okay. I like it
>>
Software development is hard work, that's why it pays so well.

Most of the time you will be sitting around wondering why your code doesn't work when it should, or works when it shouldn't. You'll spend days tracking down bugs in other people's libraries/services that you make use of but can't debug for whatever reason.

And then you'll be working for superiors who has no or little understanding of what you're doing and they will tell you to "just fix it", or worse, to do it in a specific way which isn't standard because they feel like it should be done that way.

And then they will be pissed and disappointed when you can't draw 3 perpendicular blue lines using red ink.
>>
>>16928003
I guess what I'm asking is if the work is out there, or if I'm going to be unemployed and weather Computer Science or a Game Design is a better degree to chase.
>>
No one's going to take you seriously if you tell them you have a degree in game design.
>>
>>16928019
True. I just hate networking. I like coding, I just can't stand networking, but that's like half of it.
>>
The overtime is shit, and enjoy having your job outsourced to India.
>>
>>16928025
^ and that overtime is mandatory and unpaid.
>>
>>16928012
You'll be speaking a different tune after a few months in the industry. I know several people who work for big game companies in several different areas of development and they all hate their jobs.
>>
>>16928022
>True. I just hate networking. I like coding, I just can't stand networking, but that's like half of it.
Networking as in the logistics of getting computers to exchange data at a distance? Or networking as in being social abd meetibg people?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.