[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JUST DO IT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1455026734375.jpg (38 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1455026734375.jpg
38 KB, 512x512
>just do it bro

Does this actually work or can we safely relegate it to dumb meme status?
>>
It's just a generic way to promote the idea of taking initiative. Taking initiative is generally a good thing since it's how we acquire experience. There is nothing meme about it.
>>
It's literally the same as "carpe diem". We've had this saying since the dawn of man.

The big difference is some faggot can put stigma on the concept of taking unplanned initiative. Halo effect,
>>
>>16924776
The advice is usually given as a way to try and solve psychological problems. I don't really think it stands true for many of the things people suggest it for. There are other barriers in place that prevent the efficacy of the "just do it", but I'm not entirely sure as to what they are.
>>
>>16924801
Uh, that's true for phobias and anxieties when there isn't a medical component to them.
Many other problems may require therapy.
>>
>>16924799
Carpe Diem is "enjoy the moment", not "force yourself to do things" which is implied by "just do it". It's usually something hard or painful, or risky that requires forcing yourself through it.
>>
>>16924840

"carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero", which can be translated as "Seize the day, put very little trust in tomorrow (the future)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpe_diem

JUST DO IT FAGGOT
>>
>>16924765
Yeah it works. Initial apprehension dissappears if you just #yolo out and go do something once.

Works for nearly everything. Like I'm a gross flabby nerd who was afraid of running. So I bought some shoes and just yoloed it. Don't care anymore. Running further every week and I can see my dick when I look down now.

Lebouf that shit fampai.
>>
File: 2350349-378240_screenshot315.jpg (256 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
2350349-378240_screenshot315.jpg
256 KB, 960x540
>tfw just got a girlfriend

Just be honest bro
>>
>>16924846
Of course you shouldn't trust the future 100%, that makes you a damn fool. So Carpe Diem is more like a truism. JUST DO IT FAGGOT is basically a suggestion to acquire discipline.
>>
calling everything a fucking meme is a meme
>>
>>16924882
nice meme
>>
>>16924850
Yeah, it works for binary decisions such as exercise. But what if it's something like social anxiety? You're suggested to "just do it" and get out of your shell, right? Then you ignore your fear of embarrassing yourself that may or may not be irrational. You finally draw people's attention and make a fool of yourself for some intricate reason that wouldn't have occurred to you. Now you've BTFO'd yourself in that particular social setting. How's that working for you?
>>
>>16924892
Social anxiety doesn't exist and neither does "a social setting" I promise you nobody is walking around thinking about "social settings"
>>
>>16924903
>Social anxiety doesn't exist
Ever heard of conditioning? Early unfavorable social experiences or traumas can lead to a defense mechanism of "retreating into one's shell". That's what social anxiety is, it mostly includes fear of rejection or being judged. And it's a very specific, visceral painful feeling.

>nobody is walking around thinking about "social settings"
That... what does that have to do with anything?
>>
File: Usos_Infinitos-Cross_Tail.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Usos_Infinitos-Cross_Tail.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>16924926
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_Vg4uyYwEk
>>
>>16924861
Well if I'm honest they'll come to know that I'm one hell of a nerd. Some of my friends told me I should try to find a girl with some similar interests, since they all saw my spectacular failures in clubs and parties. I would just do it, but on literally who?
>>
File: Say_desu.gif.png (139 KB, 320x244) Image search: [Google]
Say_desu.gif.png
139 KB, 320x244
>>16924933
The one girlfriend I had in real life initiated contact with me initially by asking for a hug, she was a the friend of the girl I wanted to actually date

Being a nerd is popular these days, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead 20 years ago would have been made fun of
>>
>>16924933
>>16924951
>Some of my friends told me I should try to find a girl with some similar interests, since they all saw my spectacular failures in clubs and parties.
Are you me?
I study in a university filled with normies, at least in my classes. Wtahcing series on netflix isn't nerdy anymore, everyone does it because TV is so shit nowadays. Also, yeah, maybe me and someone else watch/like the same series? But what can be discussed or talked about it? The episodes are there and that's that really, a conversation about a series usually doesn't take as long as two minutes to run out of relevance.
I've been trying for ages to get in contact with a new group of friends or something that gets me in contact with any females. Someone that either goes to anime events, plays tabletop RPGs, anything. My PC is shit nowadays, so no more skype group calls for me like it was 6 years ago. It's just so frustrating, this huge need to find a nerdy group of friends and have no idea on how to.
Also the unluckyness throughout my whole life doesn't help. Every nerdy enough girl I've met was already taken.
>>
>>16924892
Hnmm?
Social anxiety is usually thyroid problems.

Knew a guy who would stutter and sweat and go pale if he had to go outside. Got thyroid medicine and it dissappeared.

Quite rare though. Nearly every case of I'm afraid to do X is just initial apprehension. And vanishes if you just go do it.
>>
>>16925037
No, social anxiety is its own separate thing. See my other explanation. I wouldn't call it a "disease" though, that's controversial. What you said is agoraphobia correlated with thyroid problem.
>>
>>16924765

>just do it bro
>does it work

depends on the context. does just doing something actually get it done? yes. does it get the outcome you want? no.

you cant guarantee outcomes, cuz most of hte time with 'just do it bro' were referring to going up and asking out a girl.

but just doing it (bro) gives her a chance to say yes or no. there is a chance. not doing it guarantees a no.
>>
>>16925067
Don't cherry pick me faggot.
Nearly every case of I'm afraid to do x is just an apprehension hump and winks out of existing if you just go DO IT. Turns out everyone has a rigid comfort zone and fears expanding it.

The tiny fraction of the population who have the crazies are kinda fucked if they try to sack up I guess. No more fucked than they were before though.
Maybe they should get diagnosed and treated. Not look for validation on a Chinese cartoon fan forum.
>>
>>16925096
You're right that the fear itself or "apprehension hump" can be solved through taking action. But you're only eliminating the emotion of fear, doesn't guarantee a good result. In fact it can have disastrous consequences. Maybe you're treading into too much unknown territory by "just doing it". Of course you need to gather information before going at it. The problem is, information is far too complex for you to figure out exactly what suits your needs. That's why I'm wondering, is it better or not to "just do it".
>>
>>16925132
What the actual fuck.

No. Information is everywhere.
I walked into a gym the other day and said to the attendant,
Excuse me I'd like to start lifting.
Guy takes me on a 10 minute tour of the place. Shows me squat and bench form. Spots me some unloaded reps.

Of course it was wildly expensive so I just run for now. Might buy a doorframe pull up bar. It might come loose and I'll fall on my ass. Oh no.

I think the problem here is you're posing Schrödinger's unforseeable disaster.
Living in the shade of the sword of damocles is no fun fampai.
There's no guarantee anything will go wrong.
>>
>>16924765
Of course it works.

Asking the same thing on /adv/ won't help if you never do anything. Just doing it will result in success or failure, in which case you can move on.

Success: you did it, good job! What's next?

Failure: you learned how to not do it! Good job! Try again or do something else.

Doing anything is far better than doing fucking nothing.
>>
>>16925162
I'm merely proposing that the abundant and often conflicting nature of available information may have a negative effect on your desired outcome. The question lies with your decision making process, how should you approach it? How do you know you're acting on adequate information that won't screw you over? Just listen to your gut instinct? Steamrolling over your fears is healthy but there's such a thing as going too far.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.