[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career prospects with a non-acohol DUI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: pussy.png (557 KB, 686x438) Image search: [Google]
pussy.png
557 KB, 686x438
Over the weekend I got pulled over for old plates. I had the current plates in the car. I give all my license and registration to the cop. It all checks out. He says he smells weed in the car. I had weed and a grinder.

Long story short, he charges me with possession, paraphernalia, and an DUI (I blew a 0.000 and was not drunk, but he claimed I was "impaired" and gave me a urine test).

I have a lawyer and he thinks there might be a case there. In the meantime, as I wait two weeks for the urine results, I am planning for worst case scenarios and treating this incident as a serious wake up call.

I understand that a DUI ruins your life if you're in the like ..... trucking business.

I am a straight-A first year graduate student with a full-tuition waiver scholarship and graduate assistantship. I will NOT lose my scholarship or position.

My career plans involve getting a PhD immediately after this degree or perhaps going to law school. As these charges are all first offenses, and I don't plan on getting anymore, I gather that they will NOT affect my admissions chances to PhD programs. Funding maybe, but if I did my PhD at my current school then I am sure it would be fully funded.

If I do a PhD then by time I am looking for jobs this arrest will have been at least 3-5 years behind me. I understand that this limits my prospects for government work and stuff that needs security clearances.

So I want to know how DUIs have affected the career prospects of educated professionals who have not started their careers. Anyone who works in government, academia, the private sector, anything like that.

I also wonder if employers/society will view a MARIJUANA-related DUI than an alcohol-related one.
>>
Depending on the charge, many places are fine with it as long as you disclose it. That said, I'm pretty sure you'll have a super hard time getting a job in the government if that's what you're aiming for
>>
>>16924117

nah, I don't have much interest in the government. It is certainly a possible career path given my education (history/economics/political science) but I am more interested in either academia or non-government think tanks and things like that ......

but I will be certainly disclosing it when that day comes. thank you for your response, it provides me some reassurance.
>>
I know there are some more fellow idiots with criminal records and college degrees on this board, let's gooooooooo
>>
>smoking weed in the first place

try the mental retardation defense. they'll buy it for sho'
>>
>>16924310

good shit, my dude!
>>
>smoke weed like a degenerate
>get caught

That's the price to pay nigger, if you tested positive for weed in your piss, you're mcdone and they'll side with the cop

You use, you lose.
>>
>>16924342
Also a dui is a dui

People won't fucking hire you, if they see a dui it doesn't matter they'll tell you to fuck off

Enjoy mcdicks job, that's the price to pay
>>
>>16924342
>>16924352

WHO won't hire is the question, specifically.

I appreciate the anonymous trolling and anti-marijuana sentiment but lmao I need specifics.

I already know I can get into most PhD programs with full funding and I would only have to report felonies, thus this DUI does not matter for that. It honestly sounds like you're projecting because you had legal issues that fucked up your life or something.

I am interested in a career in academia, so it would still continue to have little bearing....

I am asking for people with experience lmao
>>
>>16924418
>It honestly sounds like you're projecting because you had legal issues that fucked up your life or something
lol u butthurt

weed users are dumbasses but i doubt it will hurt you too much. academia is full of liberals and bush/obongo got in and they were public cocaine users.
>>
If you have money, have you tried talking to a lawyer? One should definitely be able to get that DUI charge waved.
>>
>>16924433

Yeah, I have a lawyer. It will probably be reduced, but the original DUI charge will be on my background forever (most likely).

I am just preparing for the worst case of scenario of having to explain this to employers forever basically. No reason to assume I am getting off with anything other than the maximum penalty.

>>16924424

Hey man, I feel ya. Weed isn't that cool but I do like it and it hadn't hindered my work/school progress (until this point LMAO). I appreciate the response though.

Your point about academia kind of gets at a deeper realization I had which is that I probably wouldn't want to work in a place with a really heavy anti-drug/anti-substance bias, which is probably why I was headed towards academia anyways.
>>
>>16923624
First off, a DUI is a DUI they won't look farther then that.

I have one, nobody gives a shit unless you have a company truck even then it's just the insurance costs which disappear in 3-4 years. Don't sweat it DUI's are one of the most socially acceptable crimes to commit because the large majority of people have done it especially the older crowd.
>>
>>16924468
nah, you're headed into academia because it's a cushy, coveted, and prestigious job.

>which is that I probably wouldn't want to work in a place with a really heavy anti-drug/anti-substance bias
and it's not a simple "bias". there is legitimate reasons not to be drugged out of your mind primarily in places were there's legitimate working going on. refineries, steel mills, manufacturing, heavy equipment operating, etc. The legit jobs that pay well like that are the LAST places you don't want to be out of sync. It's incredibly dangerous, stupid, irresponsible, and selfish to your fellow coworker.

the aftereffects are unpredictable as well. even if you timed what you take just by using it you're an increased liability.
>>
>>16924469

Hell yeah man, right on, good to hear.

I really see how this can be hell for poor people who can't afford lawyers, are in higher education, or don't own their own business.

Some of the threads I've read about people in the trucking business who get one DUI for like two beers with no victims involved are pretty tragic

Glad that's not me, and I think I've learned my lesson. If I am ever in the position to hire people I will certainly strive to put folks' "criminal history" in proper context
>>
>>16924489

That's fair, man. I will certainly accept that. And even though I am trying to take responsibility and not pull the whole "weed SHOULD be legal" thing, I probably am minimizing the impact of what I have done

that being said, most of my family are academics and it's generally been my expected career path since I was like an honors student in elementary school. It can be cushy, but I really would not have a problem working at a community college or something.

I am genuinely happy to just not be in jail, have my driver's license, and still have real career prospects, believe me
>>
like, shit, I worked at a Walgreen's for a few months in between undergrad and grad school and I probably wouldn't be able to get that job now with my "record" lmao

Also, anyone know anything about working with kids and having a DUI? I've done some work/volunteering at summer camps and after school programs (for mostly troubled kids) and I would hate to have this charge block me from continuing that work which actually has a direct, positive impact on society
>>
mas
>>
>>16924352
You can still get a decent job with a DWI/DUI. Especially if it's just a Class B/C Misdemeanor. Probably even a Class A, whatever the circumstances are to get one I'm not sure, but a run of the mill just DWI/DUI that's gonna be a Class B won't kill your job prospects unless it's a job that involves driving to do the work. Also if it's your first and only, depending on how far back it was it's even better to potential employers. So many people have DWI/DUI's, professionals included, it's not a drug charge, theft, or violence. Those even if only misdemeanors are way worse than DWI/DUI.

Also, even people with Felonies can get jobs. Granted they're construction and labor jobs but they are not McJobs and they actually earn you 2-3 the salary.

Yes, I have a DWI. Yes I have a good job still.
>>
>>16924644

can I ask what field you work in? and if you got the DWI before you started your career or after?
>>
>>16924699
Oil field services. After. Some other guy I worked with got a DWI too. No one cared then either.

inb4 but you had the job first. I got a job offer AFTER getting the DWI in a different field (construction) that came with a $70K/year salary. All I had to do was say yes but I like my current job better. I make a little bit less but it's a lot easier plus I used to work construction and I didn't like it much. I'd do it if I had to but I have more options.
>>
>>16924732

God bless
>>
.bump
>>
blimp
>>
>>16924644
pretty much what I was gonna say.

also, for future reference when you do eventually land a job:

if you already have a job and you get a DUI, you probably won't lose your job unless you can't get to work anymore or the employer has a giant stick up their ass. hell, I used to work with a guy who had a longtime alcohol problem. he got so many DUIs and other alcohol charges he ended up in jail. but he was a decent machinist and he was never drunk at work, so they kept him on. he got a work furlough so he would come to work every night, work his shift, clock out, and be taken back to jail til the next day.

things are probably a bit different if you're not in a union. but even then, if you're a decent employee otherwise and you're getting treatment, not violating parole, etc. a lot of employers will overlook it *as long as it doesn't become a pattern.*
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.