[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck do I find an internship working with metals (metallurgy)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: power_tl_Metallurgy.jpg (26 KB, 286x242) Image search: [Google]
power_tl_Metallurgy.jpg
26 KB, 286x242
How the fuck do I find an internship working with metals (metallurgy)?

I don't care what it is, I just want to learn. Willing to work for free. Is walking into a forge, or going to an artisan, or someone else in the trade crazy? If it's not, how the fuck am I to strike up a conversation about this?

I have a yearning, but no experience in the field. Maybe some prerequisites would help--if so, what? All I've got is basic chem and math.
>>
>>16921225
college, google, VET courses
>>
oh shit nigga me too. i've been taking a degree at my local community college that includes metallurgy and stuff.i've worked in steel mills before as a customer rep but otherwise i'm green.

what i'm doing so far is check out local forges/steel mills if you have any. i was reading on a forge site that forging itself only employes like 45000 people across 250 shops in the fucking COUNTRY.

do you have any sort of background in this?
>>
You don't happen to live near SF do you?

Theres a big creativity building community around there called the crucible. Lot of burning man types who know their shit when it comes to glassblowing/welding/you name it.
>>
>>16921225
Pull up a few job listings. They've been hiring high school dropouts for centuries. If you want to advance they'll lay out training and schooling for you. Your best bet is going to be somewhere in the recycling chain like at Gerdau now that so much steel is imported from China.
>>
>>16921382
>that so much steel is imported from China.
and korea.

US Steel has shut down various places because they couldn't handle the bantz.

I still stand by him also checking out local places. I've been to steel mills, the people they hire aren't prodigies. Anecdotally I've heard about hiring runs where out of 50 people 20 failed the physical the rest fialed the drug exam.

I would also recommend pipe manufacturers for oilfield but since oil is dead they're kaput by association.
>>
>>16921225

For industrial forges, you aren't going to find that many in the US. The amount of forges left in the country can be counted on both hands due to environmental regulations and cheaper labor overseas. You best bet is to go artisan, though if you don't have that knack, it might be hard to do.
>>
>>16921470
depends on what you consider industrial. there's a few mom and pop(which still mean big shops) places. a lot of them are still in the rust belt for cultural reasons.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.