[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Given that I have a CIS Bachelors Degree and about three years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: img_03.jpg (27 KB, 433x361) Image search: [Google]
img_03.jpg
27 KB, 433x361
Given that I have a CIS Bachelors Degree and about three years of vaguely technical experience (6-8 months in a PC repair/phone support role specifically) what should my salary look like upon moving to a new metro area? Would certs help to boost that?

My current job pays me $14/hr, 28-32 hours a week, no benefits. I've talked to some recruiters and staffing agencies to see if I can get a better gig, and they've all told me the same thing: the going rate for entry level IT is around $11/hr, the going rate for entry level web dev is a few dollars higher but more difficult to get full time. When it comes down to it, making $275-300 a week is not enough money to support two people and also make rent, so I'm trying to use my free time to boost my skills.

What are the odds I'd be able to make more than I do here, if I had the CompTIA Net+ or Sec+? Possibly something else?
>>
The only two ways you're going to make decent money are:
1) personal connections in the industry or
2) being sought after for your qualifications and experience.

Obviously you're right in that the amount of money you're being offered is insufficient. I suggest being patient, getting whatever certs you can while you're working your current job and looking to get more hours and/or a better position. Right now you don't have anything attractive to offer.
>>
>>16919134
How was PC technician gig? I am looking into that industry
>>
>>16919166
It's alright, that's what I do now, pay is crap though, which is why I made this post.

Going in I had never used a Windows or Linux computer in my life. I had no experience with hardware, or software installations. I just had my degree from a good school (in RoR dev and Node dev) so I was hired because they needed more people with degrees.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.