[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best way to get rid of a phobia? I've heard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: 1386126469946.jpg (44 KB, 420x500) Image search: [Google]
1386126469946.jpg
44 KB, 420x500
What's the best way to get rid of a phobia?
I've heard there's a lot of treatments, I'd prefer one that doesn't involve drugs.

As thanks, I will tell you guys what I'm scared of. Might make you have a bit of a giggle.
>>
Depends on what you're afraid of, but always boils down to facing your fear.
>>
Expose yourself to your fear in a controlled and safe way, starting very basic and slowly increasing the intensity as you can tolerate it.

Find someone with a pet tarantula or go to a pet store that has spiders. Sit and do something in the same room with the spider, as close as you can handle it. Do not touch it, don't interact with it, simply keep yourself in its presence. You want to be mildly uncomfortable but not severely so, and allow yourself to become comfortable.

Once you've reached a level of comfort in the same room, ease yourself closer. Once you're okay with that, try holding the box. once you're okay with that, try being near a spider that isn't contained (such as sitting in a web). Then try being near a moving spider, then try brief contact, then try prolonged contact, etc.

The point is you was to train yourself to realize that a situation that you fear is actually safe.

It's a balance. You want to go slowly enough that you don't make yourself panic, but you want to have yourself not entirely comfortable with the situation when you start. Slowly push the edge of your comfort zone.

While you're in that uncomfortable state, practice things like breathing to help reduce anxiety levels. Slow, deep breaths, with the exhale longer than the inhale, are relaxing and calm your systems. Fast breaths and breaths with inhale longer activate fight-or-flight systems. If you catch yourself starting to hyperventilate, stop it with a deep breath and sigh, then start breathing over again.

If you find yourself start to panic, remove yourself from the situation. The point is to be slow and calm and establish safety. It's okay if you can't strike the balance, especially the first time. Just change the situation and try again.
>>
>>16912945

Shit, the beginning of my explanation got deleted. I was using spiders as an example.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.