[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People will often accuse me of making things up and it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (81 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
81 KB, 480x270
People will often accuse me of making things up and it's starting to concern me but I don't see how it could be possible. I only hear this from people who I have a rocky history with and they only seem to do it when they get called out on something. I try to keep a very careful timeline of events and even started recording things for visceral sanity. That way I could play it back if needed and be assured that it happened the way I remembered. Even so people will tell me that I make things up in my head and maintain that these things never happened. If I confront them with proof their reaction is so flummoxing that I have trouble describing what happens but through wordplay the subject gets changed or turned back on me.

For example, one new years eve my boyfriend at the time left a message on the answering machine cursing at me for being late picking him up from work(his car was in the shop). I was on my way to his work when he called but my best friend was there and she must have heard everything. I heard it the next day and was so embarrassed. The message is long gone and he swears it never happened and I'm just making it up to villify him but I don't realize I'm doing it.

It's not just him. There are other people too. It hurts and I'm conflicted because these are people I want to like but I can't move past these things anymore, imagined or not. Do these people know what they're doing or could I really be making things up without knowing it? Has anybody ever experienced something similar?
>>
Bump?
>>
You can't be serious. You know things that make other people look bad, and you're surprised that they deny it happened and accuse you of making it up?
>>
>>16911823
Is this normal? It's not like I go telling these things to other people . I just bring them up to work it out and move on. If two people know what happened if it makes sense for one of them to lie about it. That's just stupid. Is it possible that these people are able to convince themselves that their version is the truth? Or do they simply insist on lying because they don't want to handle it and are unhappy with that part of themselves? That sounds really unhealthy
>>
File: 1311023073098.jpg (9 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1311023073098.jpg
9 KB, 251x251
>>16910771
You might be legitimately crazy OP. I've talked to people before who would swear up and down that things that never happened actually had.

They were crazy people.

To be clear, I'm suggesting you seek the help of a therapist to help you decide if it's actually you because it's impossible to tell for us here having only your side of the story. It's the hard thing about crazy - what do you have to rely upon other than your own experiences of events and your own memories? We are in the same position since we're only hearing your experiences.

It's also possible that you know a lot of lying assholes. The way you describe it as being almost systemic in your life is what suggests to me it might be you and not the rest of your world.
>>
>>16911873
It could be that I'm crazy, maybe in some ways I am comma but these things started happening so frequently with the same handful of people that I started recording things. And oftentimes if the issue comes up again and their version of events is different if I go back to the recording it corroborates with my memory of what happened. But these people are so insistent to the point where it actually had me second-guessing myself which is why I started the recordings in the first place. I would love to seek therapy or even dual therapy sessions where we could both sit down and try to work these things out because even when they're confronted with evidence it doesn't seem to be enough . I like to think but I wouldn't be crazy enough to make up a recording in my own mind like that but who knows maybe stranger things have happened
>>
File: 1328997979683.png (152 KB, 1124x960) Image search: [Google]
1328997979683.png
152 KB, 1124x960
>>16911899
In my experience when there're two people who don't agree on what happened it's because of a wildly varying interpretation of events. Memories aren't completely false but someone will interpret an offhanded comment someone else made to a friend as being a mocking them-self instead.

Do you feel like people talk about you behind your back?
>>
>>16911899
Oh, other questions I'm curious about.

How's your sleep? Have you been getting good rest or have you had a harder time falling asleep?

Is this problem of dishonesty in the people close to you new or has it been something you've experienced in past relationships (romantic and otherwise) as well? How widespread is it? Does it seem like just a few people or is it as though all the people you know are working together to mess with your head?
>>
>>16911909
people will always say they didnt do stuff to avoid an argument. op could be bull shitting but i think its more likely that people are not facing their actions. sometimes i will say i didnt do something when i can't be bothered arguing.
>>
>>16911909
>Do you feel like people talk about you behind your back?
Yes, and they do. A few family members who I cut out of my life over this same shit have been talking about me over Facebook with my ex and giving them information to use against me that came out in a custody hearing. Its public record. When I confronted at least one of them about it they just stammered trying to quickly choose their words. It isn't friendly mocking that's the issue either. It's things like saying shit about my dead mom who they never knew just to hurt me and then pretending it never happened.

>How's your sleep? Have you been getting good rest or have you had a harder time falling asleep?
My sleep is terrible but there's a lot of factors contributing to that. The aforementioned custody battles, hard work schedule(60 hours a week), and all the other little things that add up. Lots of deaths in the family recently too.
>Is this problem of dishonesty in the people close to you new or has it been something you've experienced in past relationships (romantic and otherwise) as well?
It's only with specific people. Once I recognized it for what I believe it is I had to cut them out of my life. It was too exhausting. Everyone experiences dishonesty, so yes I have but never to this extent.
> How widespread is it? Does it seem like just a few people or is it as though all the people you know are working together to mess with your head?
Its only specific people. But they are potentially working together as described above. And this has been both confirmed and denied by them.
>>
>>16911899
ditch these people OP. they're manipulative cunts.

I have a semi perfect memory and I've met people that will swear up and down that things didn't happen the way I remember them, when I can remember things so vividly I can remember what they were wearing when they said some shit, I can remember it word for word, I can remember if their apartment smelled or not that day. but apparently I'm wrong. I don't mess with these kinds of people anymore. they are many different forms of crazy and will (as they are) cause you to question your sanity. questioning your sanity isn't worth having people like this around.
>>
>>16911909
>>16911917
OP likely doesn't have a serious, rare, debilitating mental illness and even if she had, you're not diagnosing it over 4chan.

everyone's scapegoat for average people being generally lacking in responsibility and decency. the simplest explanation is typically correct.
>>
>>16911940
See... as I said before... having only your point of view I can't really tell if you're crazy though it sounds like you're just surrounded by shitty people. I'd be cutting them out of my life too. I can't imagine listening to someone lie to my face of a regular basis.

I'm on the fence about whether you might benefit from psychiatric help. Your experiences of people working together against you worries me. Do they have a clear motivation to be doing this or is it all about discrediting you/hurting you/etc? These are signs sometimes because in reality most people don't have the time, concentration, and patience to actually conspire in something like this but it's an extremely common experience among people who are a little crazy.

Do you use any hard drugs?

At the end of the day there really isn't anything I can do to help you. If you have recordings of what people have said and are sure you're right I can't dissuade you. And you might very well be completely lucid and people are just assholes. There're a lot of assholes out there.
>>
>>16911950
>rage people being generally lacking in
Probably true. It's not so rare as you're suggesting though - I've seen it plenty of times. And mild cases of this sort of thing aren't immediately debilitating, mostly just very isolating.
>>
>>16911925
>>16911950
>>16911945
Thanks anons, I really needed to hear this.

>>16911980
Thanks for taking the time to reply anyway. I may seek help just to have an outlet and maintain mental stability. No hard drugs, and yeah most people don't have the time unless that's all they live for. Which to me seems to be the case. There's a saying that comes to mind when things like this happen, "the high tree gets the wind". I do believe it's all about discrediting me for calling their bullshit when I see it because they seem to put a lot of effort into false appearances. But like you said you only have my side of the story. Thanks again, just talking about it helped a great deal.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.