[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question - if a chick considers herself "athletic"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 15
File: 1453526568936.jpg (101 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1453526568936.jpg
101 KB, 1080x1920
Question - if a chick considers herself "athletic" (say, in the context of a dating website) and wants someone in shape, does this mean someone who spends 1-2 hours a day lifting and working out, and eating super clean, or is it just "no fatasses?"

I'm at a normal BMI, and I try to get in about 30 minutes of working out a day, but I don't really have the dedication to get ripped. Is that mostly acceptable?

(I'm aware that if a chick is like a crazy crossfit hardcore workout person, she's probably going to be looking for the same, but I just mean someone who keeps themselves in pretty good shape.)
>>
Able to perform physical activity, which involves figure and endurance. It sounds like you're fine on both counts.
>>
>>16908483
>I try to get in about 30 minutes of working out a day

Please quantify this, because even fatass fatties will claim they work out this much or more daily when they really mean they walked to the mailbox or pushed the grocery cart around the supermarket
>>
>if a chick considers herself "athletic" (say, in the context of a dating website)

You ABSOLUTELY cannot rule out fatties here, it's actually very common for fat women to consider themselves athletic (to be fair, they are usually somewhat physically active). Someone such as pic related might say they're "athletic", but they're definitely still fat.

I honestly don't look at those categories at all, they're totally worthless
>>
File: plus-size-model1.jpg (40 KB, 220x332) Image search: [Google]
plus-size-model1.jpg
40 KB, 220x332
>>16908538
woop forgot pic

>hi I'm anonette, I love going to the gym and eating right!!
>body type: athletic

all the goddamn time
>>
This is a good question OP.

I've been running 10 kilometers everyday for 2 years now, but I still have handlebars from when I was overweight and doubt they will ever go away (I'm 160 pounds)

I feel like "athelic" or "in shape" means good looking. I don't think anyone would turn down somebody who looks good but doesn't exercise.
>>
>>16908521

I try to bike a mile or two depending on the weather, and then I do about 20 pushups and 60 situps daily.

>>16908538

Are you saying pic related is fat?

>>16908547

Yeah, I mean, this is kind of where I am. I have a little bit of fat left in that same area, but nothing that's mindblowing. I'm just strongly doubting that at almost 30, I'm going to suddenly find it in myself to kick into overdrive and get rid of that.
>>
>>16908639
Thats not much biking a mile or two is nothing, thats should take you anywhere close to 30 minutes, if you were running that would be something but biking? Seriously?
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 3.jpg (167 KB, 880x572) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 3.jpg
167 KB, 880x572
>>16908542
I'd just like to post a lineup of olympic level athletes here, for your viewing pleasure.

This one has the best example of weight range.
>>
>>16908538
>fatties
>usually somewhat physically active
nigger wut?

>>16908639
>Are you saying pic related is fat?
NIGGER WUT?
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 1.jpg (96 KB, 880x583) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 1.jpg
96 KB, 880x583
1/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 2.jpg (108 KB, 880x655) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 2.jpg
108 KB, 880x655
2/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 4.jpg (177 KB, 880x604) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 4.jpg
177 KB, 880x604
4/13, no. 3 is above
>>
>>16908783

I said 30 minutes, you asked what I do. It's not a lot, but it's better than nothing. I normally hop on my bike with some kind of purpose, like up to the store, or off to my parents' place.

>>16908801
>NIGGER WUT?

" Someone such as pic related might say they're "athletic", but they're definitely still fat."

That's what I was asking about. The OP pic isn't fat.
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 5.jpg (175 KB, 880x572) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 5.jpg
175 KB, 880x572
5/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 6.jpg (183 KB, 880x646) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 6.jpg
183 KB, 880x646
6/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 7.jpg (174 KB, 880x629) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 7.jpg
174 KB, 880x629
7/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 8.jpg (108 KB, 880x589) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 8.jpg
108 KB, 880x589
8/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 9.jpg (146 KB, 880x617) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 9.jpg
146 KB, 880x617
9/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 10.jpg (100 KB, 880x629) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 10.jpg
100 KB, 880x629
10/13
>>
>>16908855
>dat feel when Bob Kennedy body
I'm the same height and only 5lb heavier
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 11.jpg (103 KB, 880x559) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 11.jpg
103 KB, 880x559
11/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 12.jpg (212 KB, 880x598) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 12.jpg
212 KB, 880x598
12/13
>>
File: athlete athletic body types 13.jpg (62 KB, 880x365) Image search: [Google]
athlete athletic body types 13.jpg
62 KB, 880x365
13/13

The point is that weight is not always a good indicator of health or fitness. You often cannot tell how in shape someone is by looking at them.
>>
>>16908980

Okay, yes, point taken, but very few people who have higher body weight like in some of your examples are going to list themselves as athletic, or expect that they're going to get some super fit significant other.
>>
>>16908639
>I try to bike a mile or two depending on the weather, and then I do about 20 pushups and 60 situps daily.

Ridiculous. You are absolutely not an athlete.
>>
>>16909032

I didn't say I was an athlete. Did you read, at all?

Literally, from the OP:

>I'm at a normal BMI, and I try to get in about 30 minutes of working out a day, but I don't really have the dedication to get ripped. Is that mostly acceptable?
>>
>>16909032
Exactly. "Athletic" shouldn't be code for mildly fit, it means you're actively engaged in some kind of competitive sport. I run five miles a day and lift three to four times a week but I was still dying my first month or so playing rugby again..
>>
>>16909047
>I run five miles a day and lift three to four times a week
That's definitely athletic.

Moving the goal posts so that you feel more prestigious than everyone else doesn't change the actual meaning of the word.
>>
>>16909046
>Is that mostly acceptable?
No, you've complete misunderstood the point of that guy's pictures. I have a BMI in the obese range, but I play prop and am in better shape than the vast majority of people because I'm athletic. Athletic doesn't mean you haven't allowed your body to go to seed, it means you're actively engaged in pushing yourself to be better than you are today.
>>
>>16909050
No, its fit. Did I look good on the beach? Sure. Was I in any way prepared to run for 80 minutes while getting hit by guys well over 200 pounds? No. "Fit" and "athletic" are two totally different things. Hell, I probably look worse as an athlete because I'm hungry all the damned time but my body works better.

Let me put it this way: theres a difference between a pentathlete and a bodybuilder. The body builder looks a lot better when he's all shredded up and pissing brown, but he's not an athlete, he's just put in time to look a very specific way. The pentathlete will be far more prepared for an active, vigorous lifestyle.
>>
>>16909061
You're making it as though only rugby players are athletes.
I guess high jump isn't an athletic sport because no one tries to shove the pole up their ass.
>>
>>16909055

I'm not looking for anyone to say I'm looking for someone to say I'm "athletic." I'm saying, if there's a girl calling herself athletic, saying she wants someone "in shape," is it acceptable to be at a normal BMI and keep active?

I get what an athlete is, and I'm not saying I'm one by any means. I'm not asking for the definition of athletic.
>>
>>16909064
No, we're not the only athletes, but if I started high jump training tomorrow that would suck for me. Athleticism isn't about looking a certain way, its about consistently challenging yourself and your body in competition. The manner of competition and the goal doesn't matter, what matters is that its something you're always striving to better. Its an active process and lifestyle, not the basic minimum required to not be a shlub.
>>
>>16909067
If you go the gym at least once a week and are of good weight, then yeah.
You're fine
>>
>>16908542
Ayyy gurl u wanna shot put ;)
>>
>>16909067
BMI is the wrong way to think about it. If she's saying "in shape" that probably means she's looking for a guy with body fat in under 16-18%. My BMI is probably 35 or 36 right now, but it would be hard for anyone to argue I'm not in shape.
>>
>>16909070
You're putting arbitrary goal oriented fitness on a pedestal.
If you go the gym and properly give a shit, then it's fine.
Just because they're not trying to make a ball go past a line on the grass, it doesn't mean they're not trying.

You tell the guy lifting twice your body weight at the gym that he's a fucking pussy.

All it matters is, like you said, always trying to strive to be better.

You can do that in the gym or you can do it on the field.

Different means doesn't mean that one is inherently inferior.
Yeah, I like sports. They're fun.
But that doesn't rule out bringing the same level of dedication to the gym
>>
>>16908980
> that nigger sumo wrestler

Exploding_knees.jpg
>>
>>16909081
>You tell the guy lifting twice your body weight at the gym that he's a fucking pussy.

I am that guy, but its beside the point.

"Athletic" means competitive. It means a woman puts goal oriented fitness on a pedestal. It means she wants someone who is capable of competition, who doesn't shy from trying. Thats the difference between someone who is in shape and someone who is athletic. I don't care what the sport is or what the goal is, its the striving that matters.
>>
>>16909093
Athletic just means "like an athlete", bruh.
You don't actually have to be an athlete to be athletic.

Stop trying to jerk yourself off so hard.
Yeah, congrats at playing rugby.
It doesn't make everyone else into faggots, though
>>
>>16909102
No, but people who do not consistently challenge themselves are weaker for it, regardless of the hours they put in at the gym. I don't care if its ping pong, the marathon, or MMA, theres something about a person who competes thats different. I've met 100 pound women who are far tougher than I am. Tell yourself what you want, I guess, but I know where I have to dig when I have nothing left and its got nothing to do with what sport I played or how good I look naked.
>>
>>16909129
You think people at the gym don't challenge themselves?
>>
>>16909132
Its easy to give up in the gym. You know it, I know it. You can lie to yourself, you can lie to your friends, you can puss out or give up or just decide you're done. You can convince yourself. Its different when someone else is watching or when you have other people to let down.
>>
>>16909137
That sounds like your own personal point of view.
YOU can lie to yourself.
YOU can like to your friends.
YOU can puss out.

Don't judge everyone by your own failings.
Maybe you need sports to reach your full potential.
But not everyone.
Some people are totally self-sufficient. They find within themselves to have the motivation.
Or they go with friends who together find motivation.

Not everyone is the same. Don't judge people by your own qualities.
>>
>>16909152
I'm well aware of my own qualities and failings. I'm also well aware that people are built a certain way. Sounds like you're a little activated by the perceived challenge in what I'm saying.
>>
>>16909154
Sure I am.
Just like you want to value your own participation in a sport above other physical exertions. You want to feel more special and more exclusive.

To cut it to the bone, you're saying that I'm a pussy weakling, while I'm sitting here with sore muscles after having spent 2 hours in the gym pushing myself to the limit.
You can see why I'd take offense by you saying "If you don't participate in a sports team, you're a deluded couch potato".
>>
Chances are she does want someone as crazy into fitness as she is, but you also never know, different people are different, it's worth giving it a shot at least, you never know, you may go in there confident and end up succeeding even if you're not ripped.

Hell, I actually frequent /fit/s fraud thread, one trip there is a female, so it's pretty apparent she's extremely into fitness, she fucking roids, that's a life changing decision, especially for a woman, but apparently her bf is DYEL but just mildly athletic from sports and being outdoorsy, who would have thought, I'd have assumed chicks like that would want someone huge and passionate about the same stuff, but different people are different
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.