[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joining a church as an adult?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
I wasn't raised religiously, though I was baptized at a Lutheran church (mostly for the sake of my grandparents) but I never attended church growing up. Recent events in my life have started me thinking that going to church on Sundays may not be a bad idea (a bad breakup, recent brush with death working, a few weeks in the hospital, lost my job because safety violation, had to move back in with parents, etc...) So, yeah. Maybe I need a bit of support or something to help me though all of this. My question is, what religion and what is it like joining as an adult? I'm Irish in the US and spend a lot of time hanging out with Catholics, so I'm leaning towards that, but I have no idea. Do you just walk in during Sunday mass? Is there a form I need to fill out? What is /adv/'s opinion about it?
>>
Well you don't seem to even know what kind of church.

Yes, you just show up on time for Sunday service. Sit through the service. Did you enjoy it? Wait around and try to have a word with the pastor/priest/rabbi and explain your feelings, they will happily welcome you.
Didn't enjoy it? Try a different place next Sunday.
>>
My opinion is that adults don't join churches, babies do.
>>
It's now the age of the internet. Google the church you want to go to, from there you can just show up at the posted times.
>>
As an adult that started going to church within the last few years after only going once or twice a year as a kid, I can explain how it went for me.
I went on a Sunday morning, spoke to a member of a religious order that worked at the church, and sat through the liturgy. Afterwards the brother introduced me to the priest and I asked if they offered some kind of informational classes (RCIA in the Catholic church). Next Sunday I showed up, went to the class, and kept doing so until I got confirmed and received first communion roughly eighteen months later.
Pretty simple. You don't need to sign any forms unless you're signing up for a class or as a member of the parish. You really don't even need to talk to anyone if you don't want to, but it is helpful if you want more information or to get involved.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.