[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>normie coworkers start pickin' on you for jokes What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: druid.jpg (23 KB, 138x182) Image search: [Google]
druid.jpg
23 KB, 138x182
>normie coworkers start pickin' on you for jokes
What steps would I need to take to get out of this situation?
>>
laugh with them while you insult them even more
>>
>>16906493
joke back you fucking weak faggot

or are you totally witless and only pull spaghetti out of your pocket when you roasted?
>>
>>16906498
hmm...i suppose...but.

>>16906502
>or are you totally witless and only pull spaghetti out of your pocket when you roasted?
I tend to get nervous and can't think of what to say...but I noticed I could dish it out when I'm calm and such.
>>
Honestly whenever i hear it i just say "damn" or "nice meme". and thats the end of it.
Honestly just say "nice meme" alot, they'll get annoyed and regret making the jokes. i think.
>>
>>16906493
in what way are they picking on you?

I wouldn't take the advice of insulting them back. If you aren't good in social situations, its easy to cross a line. I have this problem.
>>
Most of the time, you insult your friends or coworkers to build closeness. If you can't handle it then you're gonna be in a rough way. Its like a game, he rags on you, you rag on him. Simple as that.
>>
As someone learning to work with normies every day, my advice is just ignore it. Normie opinions are worth less than trash, they hate and mock everything they don't understand just to prove how little they understand - knowing less about "nerd shit" is one of the metrics they measure each other by.

Just disregard them.
>>
attack them. beat them with your bare hands, OP
>>
>>16907564
Well, it's mostly one dude.
He seems like the person that pokes fun at people to gain status.
For starters, he likes to say "little bitch" when he thinks it's funny. It's obvious that he sees me as a weaker person to pick on, but I'm in the work situation and I have the fear of crossing the line as you said.

But at the same time, when I was in the unfortunate situation of just being with him, he was being genuinely nice and even vents out his problems regarding w/e is going on in his life.
He's a bit two faced, but I can't beat him up obviously. I'm also afraid of crossing the line when I talk back.
>>
>>16907924
People only pick on people they see as a threat. He's intimidated by you for any number of reasons. Remember that the next time he starts in. If anything it should make you feel a little more powerful and flattered. I would just say sarcastically, "*kek* yeah, okay" maybe throw in an eyeroll and grin.
>>
>>16906493
Take the banter, and throw in some self deprecating humor and joke along with them.
>>
>>16908078
How would he see me as a threat? I feel like the opposite is the case.
Don't people pick on someone they see as weak?
>>
>>16906493
take it like a good sport
say a self depreacting joke
then pivot with a joke an another expense

thats usually what you need, just to bounce back and even better if you dont attack anyone.

like listen to comedians how they handle hecklers in comedy shows, that's the tone you need to emulate
>>
>>16907556
I doubt his normie coworkers really understand the meaning of "nice meme", but it's going in the right direction.
>>
>>16908135
>say a self depreacting joke
Is this really a good idea? I would imagine it's cringy and makes a person look like they have bad/low self esteem.
>>
>>16908129
Not necessarily. Why would he feel the need to assert dominance over you? If he's picking on you just because he thinks you're weak them he doesn't think very highly of himself either way.
>>
>>16908498
Depends on the delivery. There's a different between being able to laugh at yourself and absolutely hating yourself.
A lot of my humour is self-deprecating, but I'm able to deliver it like I'm just laughing at myself. People usually don't notice my fairly low self-esteem until they know me better and see hiw I react in different situations
>>
>>16907564
Yeah, don't play the same game as him, you can't win that.
>>
>>16907835
This is bad advice.

OP, Your co-workers are your de facto friends. You're stuck with them and they're stuck with you.

There's a layer of seperation because you're not really "friends", unless you click with someone and decide to hang out.

Seriously though, self-deprecation can go farther than you think. Just don't let their jokes get to you, they most likely aren't of Ill-intent.

Poke fun at them or attempt to build some kind of bridge. More likely than not, you have something in common.
>>
>retort
>laugh it off (trust me, whoever goes overboard with it is usually the guy everyone talks about behind his back)
>make a face and go about your day
>>
They pick on you because you're different. If you learn their ways and mimic them, you can become hard to spot as weird. This charade saves you a lot of problems in life. Use your co-workers as test subjects to perfect your technique, and learn the responses needed to blend in well with the rest of society.

Don't make jokes at your own expense with much frequency, as this has negative effects.
>>
>>16908609
On a side note. From my peripheral vision, I notice that he squints his eyes and glares at me. When I turn around, I say "sup."
He then quickly changes to "what's up, anon."
>>
>>16906493

Piss yourself in the office one day, sign off with depression for as long as the firm will pay for.
>>
>>16907924
I've been in the exact situation.

A coworker of mine would be cool as fuck with me when it was just me and him working together. But when other people were around he would rip on me. I shrugged it off and ignored it for a while. Then one day he was doing it a lot and I got fed up and just glared at him with an angry look. He started smiling thinking I was joking, then realized I was pissed and scurried away saying something like "We never work together anymore anon..." and then we made some awkward small talk. Our conversations were pretty brief and strictly work related after that. Shame because I really liked the guy when we work together one on one and he'd be cool.

Sometimes I feel bad that I may have overreacted, but I guess I'd rather be an asshole than a pussy.
>>
>>16909819
Same guy here.

My question is, where is the line between joking around and bullying? When should you laugh along and when do you need to put someone in their place and tell them to shut the fuck up?

The thing is that I am not witty or creative with comebacks at all, I just can't do it. I'm just a very literal, straight forward person. So if I try to joke back with someone who's really clever, I'm just going to look like an idiot. And I think the guy I described in my other post probably knew that about me and that was one of his reasons for going after me.
>>
just ignore them
>>
>>16909819
>>16909842
OP here. Was this coworker the kind of guy that EVERYBODY in the office seems to like?
>>
>>16910138
Yes, very much so. I never witnessed him going after anyone but me. And as I said, he would only go after me when others were around. He was cool with me when it was one on one.

Most people there seemed to like me too, which may have made him jealous, I really don't know what his motives were. Not sure if thats the same situation you're in or not.
>>
>>16910189
Also, I was bigger than he was. I had a good 50 pounds on this guy. He just thought he could fuck with me because we was popular and funny, while I was more reserved and somewhat shy. But I'm sure as hell not gonna let someone significantly smaller than me try to bully me.

Staring him down worked well for me to get him to back down due to my size advantage. Not sure if it would be very effective if you're the same size, and it probably sure as hell wouldn't work if he's bigger than you.

Looking back on it I probably should have just calmly asked him what his fucking problem with me was, but whatever. At the end of the day I stood my ground and he ran away like a bitch when confronted. Sorry if I'm ranting, I'm a bit drunk.
>>
>>16906493

ask them what their boss is paying them for
>>
You couldn't handle the bants and this is what you get
>>
>>16909842
>>16910212

I entered a company where everyone ended up 15-20 years older than me few years ago (I was 21, my coworkers were 35-46 )

Everybody had a role there and this guy was like the little "Joker" from the group. Class-Clown or something fucking stupid shit like that. Anyway, he was the only one "allowed" by everybody to be the 'obscene', downright 'rude' fat piece of shit he is.

He used to rip a shitloads on me as I was the "new young boy" but gradually just shut the fuck up when he noticed that I was more than capable in the job, strictly from my company's statistics point of view.

He stopped ripping on me or does so once in a 2 months anymore after I started politely laughing/smiling at his shitty jokes and humor. I noticed it's just better to fake everything from the very beginning, most of my coworkers have no fucking idea of my life and during the 5 years of being there I haven't given up any information on my personal life.

Nobody cannot insult you deeply in a work environment if they don't know a single detail about your private life. I've revealed none and refuse to talk about my personal life, only work-related stuff. Each for his own.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.